[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1892 posts
341 upvotes
Kitchener

Spain and Portugal for two weeks. Tips?

Hi All,
Going from April 29 to May 13. Spain first. First time there. What are the must see's and suggestions about where to stay. We usually do the VRBO thing. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance for your time and efforts.
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8183 posts
2117 upvotes
Mississauga
That sounds like it will be a great trip. I'm planning Portugal next year. I'm also planning a foodie trip to Spain (San Sebastian, Bilbaoa) just to eat at the Michelin restaurants.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1892 posts
341 upvotes
Kitchener
Hmmm, I'll have to google michelin restaurants then. The other couple we're going with would def. want to try these.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11454 posts
1674 upvotes
Mississauga
What cities will you be in? What are your interests?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8183 posts
2117 upvotes
Mississauga
The hop-on bus in Barcelona is very worthwhile, plenty and runs very frequently. We used it for two days.

The hop-on bus in Madrid is always packed, but we still enjoyed it to see around the city.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1892 posts
341 upvotes
Kitchener
Talamasca wrote:
Jun 24th, 2017 11:54 am
What cities will you be in? What are your interests?
Toledo and Segovia are on our radar. I think we'll use Madrid as our base and do day trips. We land in Madrid the morning of April 29 and leave on the 5th of May for Lisbon. So a little more time in Portugal. Our interests are, Food, History, Art, Scenery.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3582 posts
486 upvotes
sam123 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 8:09 am
Toledo and Segovia are on our radar. I think we'll use Madrid as our base and do day trips. We land in Madrid the morning of April 29 and leave on the 5th of May for Lisbon. So a little more time in Portugal. Our interests are, Food, History, Art, Scenery.
I've been to both Toledo and Segovia (stayed overnight in both) and would recommend them as a day trip. I'd also recommend El Escorial and Avila as possible day trips from Madrid. I would also have recommended Salamanca if you haven't already booked your flight to Lisbon, as that is almost halfway between Madrid and Lisbon.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11454 posts
1674 upvotes
Mississauga
sam123 wrote:
Madrid's got tons of art and history. The Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen museums are all near each other, and there are several other worthy museums in the city. A great neighbourhood to walk in and explore is Malasana, just a bit north of Gran Via. It seems to be mostly locals who hang out there, and there are lots of nice restaurants, cafes (get Gelato at Mistura and coffee at Toma!), and little squares to hang out in. Nearby Salesas and Chueca are also nice areas to wander. Retiro Park, especially on a sunny weekend day, is a really nice place to relax. Central Madrid doesn't have a lot of green space other than Retiro. so take advantage of it like the Madrilenos do.

Aranjuez is a decent day trip from Madrid as well. The royal summer palace is there and the town is very orderly and neat, unlike many Spanish towns.

I absolutely fell in love with Lisbon. Beautiful city. Just wander around and get lost in the Alfama and Mouraria neighbourhoods. The Bairro Alto and Baixa districts are very nice as well. Bring good walking shoes though as Lisbon is a major cardio workout. Steep hills are seemingly everywhere!
May 7, 2017
347 posts
163 upvotes
I stayed in Nazare in a Airbnb last year. It's a great town. May may be a little cold for the beach it's a hit or miss for weather
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1892 posts
341 upvotes
Kitchener
Great information Talamasca, thanks for sharing.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1892 posts
341 upvotes
Kitchener
In Portugal we want to split our time between Lisbon and the Algarve.
Nov 22, 2010
726 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
When in Lisbon, make a trip to Sintra. This is an easy day trip from Lisbon.
Jun 25, 2017
27 posts
15 upvotes
We just came back from a 11-day trip to Portugal - we rented a car and drove around the country. Plenty to do/see in and around Lisbon (we spent 4 days there). Google "lisbon top attractions" for some ideas. Lots of hills and walking. Food is great everywhere in Portugal: fresh fish and seafood in the coastal areas and meat in the countryside. Most places also have their own traditional sweets and they are heavenly. Day trip to Sintra and Cascais is a must!
Food & Travel @ Viva Happy Blog
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1892 posts
341 upvotes
Kitchener
I've got a choice booking AC prem econo or Lufthansa perm econo, the price difference is $50 bucks. We decided to go premium economy for the extra legroom and the other amenities are a bonus. Not the rfd way, but the desire to be physically comfortable so we can enjoy the trip out ways our frugal souls.

I'm also booking through RBC rewards using avian points to make this affordable. Any issues with that?
Recap.
AC or Lufthansa?
Thanks for your input.
Toronto to Madrid, then, Lisbon to Toronto. The second leg is operated by AC, does anyone know what that means?
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4255 posts
6503 upvotes
Ontario
sam123 wrote:
You will be in Portugal just before the 2018 edition of the Eurovision singing competition. https://eurovision.tv/video/update-from ... ence-group
2019-roll out the gold carpet! Wins to date: a t-shirt, too many Spotify playlists (not claimed), $25 Indigo gc, $5 Starbucks e-gc