• Jan 30th, 2015 11:36 pm
[OP]
Feb 25, 2006
98 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Spain Trip

Hey guys,

I am going to Spain in September and my first time there.
Will be there for 4 days.

Planning to go to Barcelona to Valencia to Madrid. I am planning to go by train but just wondering if you guys can recommend any hotels, and train routes. Will be at Barcelona 2 days, Valencia 1day and Madrid 1 day. If there is any recommendation for tourist places and things to see I would appreciate it.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
not really an answer to your question but Spain is a great place to travel without plans, just stumbling into a random town, chilling on a plaza, drinking booze with people on the street, listening to live music/festivals etc.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32638 posts
6904 upvotes
Ottawa
Are you flying into Barcelona and then flying to Madrid and flying to Valencia? And, flying out of Valencia?
I ask this because it is 600 kms from Barcelona to Madrid, 1.5 hrs by air, 3 hrs by high speed train and half a day driving. Madrid to Valencia is 350 kms, 4 hrs by car, 2 hrs by train and little over an hour by plane. All of the above require getting to and from the stations/terminal etc.
My point is one day in Madrid and Valencia with the travel prep and time sort of makes going there a waste of time and effort.
I suggest you skip either Madrid or Valencia. I will not suggest one or the other because I really like both but doing both (or actually all 3) in 4 days is not feasible in my opinion. If forced, I would say to see Madrid just because an evening doing tapas around the Puerta del Sol area is a memory I will always "savour". LOL
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
[OP]
Feb 25, 2006
98 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
'Sash[DSL wrote:;19349469']not really an answer to your question but Spain is a great place to travel without plans, just stumbling into a random town, chilling on a plaza, drinking booze with people on the street, listening to live music/festivals etc.
Yes Im looking forward to it. I figured and heard many great things about Sapin and cant wait.
[OP]
Feb 25, 2006
98 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote:
Jul 25th, 2014 9:57 am
Are you flying into Barcelona and then flying to Madrid and flying to Valencia? And, flying out of Valencia?
I ask this because it is 600 kms from Barcelona to Madrid, 1.5 hrs by air, 3 hrs by high speed train and half a day driving. Madrid to Valencia is 350 kms, 4 hrs by car, 2 hrs by train and little over an hour by plane. All of the above require getting to and from the stations/terminal etc.
My point is one day in Madrid and Valencia with the travel prep and time sort of makes going there a waste of time and effort.
I suggest you skip either Madrid or Valencia. I will not suggest one or the other because I really like both but doing both (or actually all 3) in 4 days is not feasible in my opinion. If forced, I would say to see Madrid just because an evening doing tapas around the Puerta del Sol area is a memory I will always "savour". LOL
Thanks Pete_Coach for the heads up. I do plan to travel by train. Want to take in the site and scenary but I might have to rethink it and cancel one of the city and tour it another time.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32638 posts
6904 upvotes
Ottawa
kiricabana wrote:
Jul 25th, 2014 1:15 pm
Thanks Pete_Coach for the heads up. I do plan to travel by train. Want to take in the site and scenary but I might have to rethink it and cancel one of the city and tour it another time.
The high speed train between Barcelona and Madrid zooms along at 300 kms/hr and that is good as the scenery is nothing but desert interrupted by a few small towns. Really not much to look at.
The more I thought about it, the more I suggest madrid as opposed to Valencia. I really like Valencia bit to do it justice, you need to stay longer than you have. In fact, to do Barcelona (and surroundings) and Madrid justice, you also need more time. 2 days each will allow you to see the highlights.
In Barcelona do not miss Gaudi Park and the Spanish Village. Gaudi is Barcelona, his architecture is striking. The Spanish Village is a one stop look and feel of Spain, really worth it especially if you are not going to see other parts of Spain.
Madrid is a beautiful city. To see it I suggests the Hop On Hop Off just becasue you will not have too much time to explore. the tour gives you a great overview of the city.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Mar 3, 2012
93 posts
3 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Even 5 days in Barcelona it is not enough. I would suggest sticking to just one city. There is just so much to see in Spain. Depends what you want, a Gaudi architecture around Barcelona would require more than 3 days. Architecture: Barcelona. Museum: Madrid. Beach: Barcelona (Madrid is inland). My personal opinion is that Barcelona is nicer than Madrid.
Sep 8, 2013
92 posts
22 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've been to Spain 4x and it's an great country. 4 days is really a short period of time for 3 cities. I'd cut off Valencia from the list and do 2 days Madrid and 2 in Barcelona. For Day 1 in Madrid, you can do Plaza de Cibeles, Retiro Parque, couple of museums such as Prado and Reina Sofia), if museums aren't your thing, you could tour Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, where Real Madrid FC plays Day 2: Royal Palace, Sol, Plaza Mayor, Plaza de Espana, Gran Via.
Barcelona Day 1: Sagrada Familia Cathedral, La Ramblas, Gothic Quarder, the beach. Day 2: Old City, Placa Espanya, Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya (MNAC) or museums aren't for you, tour Camp Nou Stadium, home of Barcelona FC, beach time in the evening

Hope that helps.
Jul 28, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
I think the Castellana Norte hotel will be the perfect choice for Madrid is well connected to suburban train and the Chamartín train station you can look at it http://www.viztravel.net/flight--hotel.html regarding the tourist attraction same of the must see Prado museum , The royal palace they are many more you can contact me if you need any further help i hope you will enjoy your trip and wish you all the best
Deal Fanatic
Jun 28, 2003
9826 posts
2968 upvotes
Ottawa
We will be in Barcelona for 8 days in June and I am wondering if you guys recommend getting this one? http://www.barcelonacard.org/ (I did a search and did not see any prior discussion). Did it help you and was it worth it?

We will stay with a friend so I am sure she will show us around town but I always like to have Plan B. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2006
1896 posts
22 upvotes
I did two weeks in Spain and I absolutely loved it.

I spent three days in Barcelona and I felt it wasnt enough. I was disappointed with the city but I absolutely loved Madrid. In Madrid, I stayed in Hostel Rober. It was steps away from Puerta del Sol (which I think is the downtown core) and it was walking distance to Plaza Espana and Palacio Real. When I went (April) it was low season so the prices werent bad. The hostal room was tiny but you had your own room and because you are out during the day, it doesnt really matter.

The architecture in Barcelona was amazing but that was all I liked about it. Three days is not enough to see Barcelona because it is such a historic town with lots of things to do as well.
Whatchu know about ice cream?
Dec 28, 2010
410 posts
57 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
Not intending to hijack the thread but would you guys care to share how much money are we looking at for a week long trip to Spain for a couple of peeps and best time of year to go?
I know sky is the limit with travels but just decent stay and focused on seeing and absorbing the locality... I am looking at ball park figure, so that I know if I could ever be able to save up for it :o
Aug 19, 2010
63 posts
3 upvotes
Sherbrooke, Qc
injuredcold wrote:
Jan 26th, 2015 3:18 pm
Not intending to hijack the thread but would you guys care to share how much money are we looking at for a week long trip to Spain for a couple of peeps and best time of year to go?
I know sky is the limit with travels but just decent stay and focused on seeing and absorbing the locality... I am looking at ball park figure, so that I know if I could ever be able to save up for it :o
Rule of thumb for Europe : The earlier you book, the better the chances for a lower price.

From our experience June and September are our favorites months. July/August are just crowded and fares are really more expensives.

Talking about budget... ...BIG YMMV:
For a one week travel you should consider at least around 4,000$ for two. (Plane 2x800, Hotel 7x150, Restaurant 7x100 presuming you wont be at the Ritz, Transport, visits, etc...)
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4170 posts
270 upvotes
Here's my 2 cents.
As others have said, I would take out Valencia. With such short time, you won't do justice to either Barcelona or Madrid. I mean if you REALLY wanted another place besides Madrid, that's close enough for a day trip, I'd say Toledo, but I've only been to Madrid of the cities you've mentioned. I'll get to Barcelona eventually!
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)