None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1117 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto

Spain Trip - Needs help planning

We, 2 families (4 adults and 2 children 6 and 11) are going to Spain in May for 12 full days and would like to get help in planning Spain itinerary!!

I already booked the airline tickets entering in Madrid and leaving from Barcelona.

Places of interest are Barcelona, Madrid, Seville, Granada(if possible)

Can someone please tell me how many days in each city?

Any recommendations on where to stay in each city?

what attractions are must sees in each city?

Thanks in advance
112 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
32632 posts
6901 upvotes
Ottawa
Well, I prefer to stay downtown in both Madrid and Barcelona. That way I can walk to many places.
You driving or public transport (bus, train etc)?
4 cities in 12 days (considering the traveling time) is a bit too much in my opinion. 3 cities is even stretching it as the cities you have chosen are a long way from each other. You probably only have only 10 full days in Spain? 5 days in Madrid and surroundings and 5 in Barcelona and surroundings will easily be eaten up.
Life is short......Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics :). Anonymous
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7672 posts
1760 upvotes
Mississauga
We're heading to Spain next month, only 8 days Barcelona and Madrid.

Barcelona
The Gaudi attractions are musts - Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, Casa Batllo, Casa Mila.

Las Ramblas is the popular tourist strip. Placa Catalunya is central and where the tourist buses are. This would be a great area to find a hotel. These are located in the Eixample area, close to everything.

The hop on hop off bus is great in Barcelona but may get expensive for the six of you.

Watch out for pickpockets. If you can, get a PacSafe wallet or bag for this trip.

MADRID, we are staying around Opera area, but I heard Puerto del Sol, and along the Gran Via are great locations.

Also, while in MADRID, we plan on visiting this place! http://plateamadrid.com/
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1117 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you both,

I didn't include the travel days (to and from Spain) in the 12 days,
we will arrive in Madrid on May 10 (afternoon) and will leave Barcelona on May 23 (morning),
so we have 12 full days not including arrival and departure days in Spain.

we will stay the first 5 nights in Madrid, and then take the high speed train (less than 3 hours) to Seville.

My original plan was:

Madrid: 5 nights
Seville: 3 nights (fly from Seville directly to Barcelona)
Barcelona: 5 nights

Do you think if it would be doable: (we like to see as much as we can)

Seville: 2 nights (Bus / Train to Granada - 3 hours)
Granada: 2 nights (fly from Granada directly to Barcelona)
Barcelona: 4 nights

and yes, we will use public transport (bus, train etc)
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
623 upvotes
London
On the way from Madrid to Seville stop in Cordoba for an afternoon. Even stay a night instead of 5 in Madrid. Chop a night off Seville and go to Ronda for that second night instead. Then on to Grenada. Or skip it and go Ronda to Barcelona.

Pack lightly to assist with being mobile.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1117 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
I have already booked the train ticket to Seville so cannot reduce our stay in Madrid (but that's all, no other tickets are booked),

looking at the google images of Cordoba, I like your idea of visiting Cordoba (as a day trip). based on Google map it's less than 2 hours drive from Seville,

do you think if it makes sense to rent a car and drive to Cordoba in a morning and get back to Seville in the evening? if yes, any recommendation on rental car companies there?
would a day be enough to see bests of Cordoba?

specially because we are 6 people, the cost of renting a car and driving may not be more than train tickets (probably about 240 euro for 6 people) and we will have the car while in Cordoba.
Apr 23, 2008
349 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I'm interested to visit Spain. What is the best time of the year to visit Spain and what is considered a reasonable fare from Toronto? Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
623 upvotes
London
bingo_jake wrote:
Mar 12th, 2016 10:23 pm
I have already booked the train ticket to Seville so cannot reduce our stay in Madrid (but that's all, no other tickets are booked),

looking at the google images of Cordoba, I like your idea of visiting Cordoba (as a day trip). based on Google map it's less than 2 hours drive from Seville,

do you think if it makes sense to rent a car and drive to Cordoba in a morning and get back to Seville in the evening? if yes, any recommendation on rental car companies there?

specially because we are 6 people, the cost of renting a car and driving may not be more than train tickets (probably about 240 euro for 6 people) and we will have the car while in Cordoba.

We used Sixt when we were in Spain but we just price shopped at Malaga airport for the cheapest rental from the counters when we got there. They were great to work with and a good price so when we dropped the car off in San Sebastian we used Sixt again for our next rental in Hendaye.

If you are renting a car for a day only it should be way cheaper. Even two cars if you can't get a people carrier.

You don't need a car in Cordoba proper. We parked ours on the other side of the river from the Mezquita and then walked over a bridge to that side. We spent about 3.5-4 hours there, probably could have spent a few more but we needed to get more miles covered that day. It is very, very walkable and if you did drive to there I would park the car across the river and just walk around as that will be less stressful on a driver. It's too bad you can't spend a night there (I would have loved to), but I get the itinerary has been set for Madrid -> Sev.

If you do rent a car (s), you could keep it and drive via Ronda to Grenada, and then fly to Barcelona. This gives you the option to see more sites and towns along the way versus train.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3410 posts
623 upvotes
London
smehmood wrote:
Mar 12th, 2016 11:24 pm
I'm interested to visit Spain. What is the best time of the year to visit Spain and what is considered a reasonable fare from Toronto? Thanks
we were there (North & South) in April and it was still a bit chilly. I would go May/June next time - others will have their preference but that would work weather wise and crowd wise for me.
Jan 15, 2013
890 posts
156 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm planning on visiting in July. I have 3 days planned for Barcelona, 3 Mallorca and 2 in Madrid.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1915 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
smehmood wrote:
It depends which month really. High season $950-$1100 pp would be reasonable.

I was in Spain a few weeks ago (Seville) the weather was 16 degrees as a high . The waiter at a restaurant told us that it was a "cold spell". I've been in June and it was really hot and great beach weather. Same for early September.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1915 posts
1014 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
bingo_jake wrote:
Mar 12th, 2016 10:23 pm

I was in Seville a few weeks ago. One of the best places I've been in Spain (also been to Majorca, Barcelona, Madrid and Costa Del Sol).

We stayed at Melia Sevilla - highly recommend!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2006
1117 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
snow00774 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2016 1:32 am
If you do rent a car (s), you could keep it and drive via Ronda to Grenada, and then fly to Barcelona. This gives you the option to see more sites and towns along the way versus train.
Thanks, it's very good idea
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11071 posts
1307 upvotes
Mississauga
smehmood wrote:
Spring or fall. It's outside of the peak summer season, which is packed full of tourists and usually quite hot. I remember being there in early October (great time of year to go!) and it was still 25C in Andalucia.
Dec 15, 2013
161 posts
31 upvotes
TORONTO
bingo_jake wrote:
Mar 12th, 2016 7:43 pm
Thank you both,

I didn't include the travel days (to and from Spain) in the 12 days,
we will arrive in Madrid on May 10 (afternoon) and will leave Barcelona on May 23 (morning),
so we have 12 full days not including arrival and departure days in Spain.

we will stay the first 5 nights in Madrid, and then take the high speed train (less than 3 hours) to Seville.

My original plan was:

Seville: 3 nights (fly from Seville directly to Barcelona)
Barcelona: 5 nights

Do you think if it would be doable: (we like to see as much as we can)

Seville: 2 nights (Bus / Train to Granada - 3 hours)
Granada: 2 nights (fly from Granada directly to Barcelona)
Barcelona: 4 nights

and yes, we will use public transport (bus, train etc)
I would spend fewer days in Madrid. I didn't find that much to do/see there compared to Barcelona.