Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

EDIT 2014
This thread was all about Speakout back when Speakout had Unlimited 'mobile browsing' (UMB) which was a crippled data path only allowing web browsing. The community found ways around that and this thread was part of spreading that information.

Now in 2014 they have discontinued the UMB and brought in real data plans. So i have no idea how relevant this first post is at all anymore.

END EDIT 2014

So i finally got my optimus one setup and running on the speakout $10/month 'browsing' plan. I'm looking for the community to share all their tips/tricks to see how many different apps we can get working or alternative ways to do things that are just plain blocked by the speakout browsing plan.

I'll start. Setup your apn as such and you'll be able to browse.
APN : goam.com
proxy : 10.128.1.69
port:80
username: wapuser1
password: wap
Server : (leave whatever is default)
MMSC http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
MMS proxy 10.128.1.69
MMS port 80
MCC 302
MNC 720
Authentication type None
APN type : (leave whatever is default)

Download and install autoproxy from the xda forums. Once installed many apps will now also work.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1083284
Set it up with the following:
host : 10.128.1.69
port:80
type: http
username: wapuser1
password: wap

Apps that work 100% with autoproxy.
Browser including downloading files.
Android Market
Amazon Market
Maps
Navigation
Facebook
Youtube

Apps that mostly work
Gmail - push notification doesn't work. you have to manually refresh to get new email
Google Voice - You can send free sms messages but push notification doesn't work and you have to manually refresh to receive. Voice calls over google voice still need to dial a US based number so they're not worth it anyway.

Apps that don't work and alternate options
Google Talk/chat - Won't even let you log in.
- One alternate is to use the browser to go to talkgadget.google.com. Gives you google chat in a webpage. works but it doesn't easily show who is online and who isn't.
- Another option is one of the many web based messenger applications that have android clients. eBuddy is a free one. As long as you stay logged into ebuddy you have a fully functioning google chat complete with system notifications on incoming messages.

That's all i have at the moment. I really wish the built in google talk application would work with system notification on new messages.

Edit : 10/17/2011
User monomono on page 5 has a couple of tips.
"I switched my APN to internet.com (from goam.com) and noticed slightly faster speeds, but no other differences"
"Push Gmail works if you set it up as Exchange in the standard "Email" map (use m.google.com for the server)."

Edit : 04/12/2013
User LanEvoVII pointed out something about a 2GB cap notice. I have no idea what this is but i assume people still up to date on speakout will be able to explain.
4457 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2004
1670 posts
299 upvotes
NOYB
Thanks for creating this thread Kevinck and for allowing your
phone to be a test guinea-pig. :D
---=== Heatware ===--- - Available Upon Request !!! - All Positive !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
Does Android Mobile Hotspot work with the Autoproxy set-up?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4769 posts
1560 upvotes
Gmail push seems to work for me. I get notifications too.
Am using ASProxy though.

Update: NO, it's DOESN'T work with ASPROXY. Apologies!
Mar 8, 2008
134 posts
20 upvotes
Thanks Kevinck for the initiative.

I was researching the same thing for a couple of weeks. It started with me getting the htc Desire HD (unlocked). I am with Petro-can so wanted to try the web browsing to see if it works before going with a full blown data plan from the usual big guns. Being new to Android world, I found out that I have to root the phone to do what I wanted to do. Xda forums helped me a lot and I infact used it to downgrade (foolishly upgraded to 2.3 GB OTA earlier) first and then succesfully rooted. Also installed a custom ROM "Revolution HD". Must happier with the new software.....
To make apps work, most of the online threads pointed to ASProxy and even with it different people have different experience.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1025361

I wanted to try it first but then its only available as a paid app (no trial). Then I found out about Autoproxy and Proxymator, both free and worked. You can download proxymator off market but like you said, autoproxy is xda exclusive (for now). My experience with autoproxy is that it is better than proxymator, more apps work with autoproxy (if not all of them).

Here is my experience:
I am using the same APN settings as you have mentioned in your post. I only get "Edge" speeds, never 3G. Although, on unofficial Speakout forum, some guys have mentioned getting 3G......I thought Speakout/Petro are stripped down 2G Roger data service.........! for now at least.

Apps that work 100% with autoproxy.
Browser including stock, Opera, Firefox and Skyfire.
Android Market (downloading is slooow ~5min/app)
Amazon Market
Maps (Google)
Navigation
Facebook
Youtube (slow)
Weather/News
Gasbuddy
Whatsapp (highly recommended for sms. Free now with notifications of messages even if not logged in)
ebuddy (Can chat on Yahoo, Google and MSN, only get notifications if logged in)
Gmail app (push update, no notification of new mail)
HTC Sense
Google Googles

Apps that don't work:
K9 mail app (haven't tried stock yet, but i guess would be same)
Gtalk (won't even connect)
Fring

Thats all from me.

Cheers
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1184 posts
40 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: Gmail push seems to work for me. I get notifications too.
Am using ASProxy though.

How to set up ASProxy anyway? I totally have no idea about host....port....
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1184 posts
40 upvotes
I am going to leave for vacation for 3 weeks, so I will have test it after I come back...
Thanks OP, the best benefit of 7-11 is its UWB based on an almost-cost-zero prepaid service (no calls, just surf, email, message, stock, and if it could, an active SIP service!)
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
51 upvotes
icemasta wrote: Does Android Mobile Hotspot work with the Autoproxy set-up?
aasoror wrote: Any chance to a get a SIP client working on this setup ?
Good questions. Hope to see the resolutions.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
STole this post from one of the optimus one threads. Just posting it here as information to all.
I also found this on the speakout site but could not figure out where to enter the "proxy settings" as any devices I have (ipodtouch and archos70 tablet) the does not seem to be a place in the browser settings to enter the proxy info.

"On the browser that is using the hotspot, you have to input this in the proxy settings of the browser.
Proxy Server: 10.128.1.69
HTTP Port: 80
HTTPS Port: 80" <------- from speakout forum

so... has anyone found a way to get this or any other solution to work?

UPDATE:
ok I posted this only after hours of searching only to try one more time "after" I posted and found a solution well for the ipod touch anyway... will update again if i figure it out for the archos or anyother devices as well

"Settings > Wifi > (Blue > beside the network) > HTTP Proxy
Proxy Server: 10.128.1.69
HTTP Port: 80
HTTPS Port: 80" <--------- ipodtouch solution

UPDATE:
ok so far i was able to get the hot spot to work for

1. ipod touch (instructions above) i imagine it would work for iphones as well
2.archos70 internet tablet (android 2.2) settings > wireless & networks > wifi proxy settings > hostname: 10.128.1.69 port: 80 ( i disable if im not using hotspot)
3.laptop running xp pro control panel > network & internet connections > internet options > connections > lan settings > proxy server 10.128.1.69 port: 80 (i uncheck/disable if not using hotspot)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Totoriko wrote: Gmail push seems to work for me. I get notifications too.
Am using ASProxy though.

REally? So if a gmail comes in it pops up as a notification on your phone automatically? Hmmm... i might have to try asproxy then.

Another Half working app with Autoproxy is Calendar. Things added/deleted to the calendar on the phone will synchronize over to the PC. But things added/deleted from the pc do not seem to update onto the phone. Only when i connect to the internet on wifi does my phone calendar seem to receive updates. Does the calendar app have a manual 'synchronize' or 'refresh' functionality.

I found an issue with Gmail too. If i manually refresh and find new email i can read them. In fact i seem to be able to read the first page worth of emails no problem. But if i start scrolling down to older messages and try to read them it just stays on a 'loading' screen forever and never shows me the body of the email.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4769 posts
1560 upvotes
Kevinck wrote: REally? So if a gmail comes in it pops up as a notification on your phone automatically? Hmmm... i might have to try asproxy then.

Another Half working app with Autoproxy is Calendar. Things added/deleted to the calendar on the phone will synchronize over to the PC. But things added/deleted from the pc do not seem to update onto the phone. Only when i connect to the internet on wifi does my phone calendar seem to receive updates. Does the calendar app have a manual 'synchronize' or 'refresh' functionality.

I found an issue with Gmail too. If i manually refresh and find new email i can read them. In fact i seem to be able to read the first page worth of emails no problem. But if i start scrolling down to older messages and try to read them it just stays on a 'loading' screen forever and never shows me the body of the email.

Okay guys, I've tested it again and NO, notifications from Gmail doesn't work with ASProxy.
I must have been confused because I sometimes use my work's Rogers sim card in it and I don't need ASProxy when using it, so notifications worked fine without it.
Apologies for the false hope
Mar 8, 2008
134 posts
20 upvotes
Kevinck wrote: I found an issue with Gmail too. If i manually refresh and find new email i can read them. In fact i seem to be able to read the first page worth of emails no problem. But if i start scrolling down to older messages and try to read them it just stays on a 'loading' screen forever and never shows me the body of the email.
It seems to be working on my phone though..I can go back read old emails if I have not deleted them already. Try reinstalling Gmail app. I tried "Windows Mail" and "Yahoo Mail" apps and they all seem to work as well like Gmail app. I will be experimenting with email clients like K9 and other to see if I could get them to work. Then you can check all mails from within on app.
Sep 13, 2007
166 posts
1 upvote
2 questions:

First, cross posted from the other thread:

Did anyone buy the SO promo phone for $20 (with min $50 activation card) http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promot...-off-any-phone instead of buying a sim card for $25? Benefits I see are it's $5 cheaper than buying a sim straight out, as long as you were planning to buy $50 worth of credit (which has a year expiry anyways), plus you get a phone and the sim right away.

Am I missing any downsides here?

Second question:
In order to get ASProxy to work, the phone must be rooted, correct? Is this still the best method to unlock the LG Optimus One from Koodo? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1001713. If so, does anyone have a working link to the Telus firmware (V10G_00.kdz), the link in those instructions does not work. I searched V10G_00.kdz and found some files on 4shared and such, but they don't seem to work.

Thanks for the help!
Jun 11, 2011
504 posts
164 upvotes
Sorry guys im new to android and i have no clue what this is. Can somone Explain it to me breifly?
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
3566 posts
1038 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
blueraiin wrote: 2 questions:

First, cross posted from the other thread:

Did anyone buy the SO promo phone for $20 (with min $50 activation card) http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promot...-off-any-phone instead of buying a sim card for $25? Benefits I see are it's $5 cheaper than buying a sim straight out, as long as you were planning to buy $50 worth of credit (which has a year expiry anyways), plus you get a phone and the sim right away.

Am I missing any downsides here?
That's how i got my original speakout phone way back over a year ago. It was buy a $100 activation and get the cheapest phone free. I was using that phone until i bought the optimus one last week. There's not downside. Also it gives you a backup phone. if for some reason your optimus dies, you can stick the sim card in that cheap phone and at least have a working cellphone while you fix the good one.
blueraiin wrote: Second question:
In order to get ASProxy to work, the phone must be rooted, correct? Is this still the best method to unlock the LG Optimus One from Koodo? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1001713. If so, does anyone have a working link to the Telus firmware (V10G_00.kdz), the link in those instructions does not work. I searched V10G_00.kdz and found some files on 4shared and such, but they don't seem to work.

Thanks for the help!

I used gingerbreak. from the root instructions on androidforums.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-al ... 011-a.html

I just copied the gingerbreak apk to the phone and ran it. one click root. I have the koodo lg optimus one though. 2.2.1. lg-p500h-v10v
Apr 10, 2011
25 posts
2 upvotes
Wow this is amazing! I just purchased the UL browsing today and spent about an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't get anything working. Quick google search and this thread pops up! Thanks for the APN settings OP now I can browse yay!
Sep 13, 2007
166 posts
1 upvote
Kevinck wrote: That's how i got my original speakout phone way back over a year ago. It was buy a $100 activation and get the cheapest phone free. I was using that phone until i bought the optimus one last week. There's not downside. Also it gives you a backup phone. if for some reason your optimus dies, you can stick the sim card in that cheap phone and at least have a working cellphone while you fix the good one.

I used gingerbreak. from the root instructions on androidforums.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-al ... 011-a.html

I just copied the gingerbreak apk to the phone and ran it. one click root. I have the koodo lg optimus one though. 2.2.1. lg-p500h-v10v

Thanks Kevin

I forgot to update this thread, I found the gingerbreak thread and it was very quick and simple. I'm going to buy a SO SIM soon, once my other plan is up at the end of this month. I wonder if they'll have new promotions for July - it's too bad I can't just buy a sim for $10 like some other providers

For those on SO, can anyone comment on the speed seeing as how it's using EDGE?
Jul 19, 2007
190 posts
111 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'm consistently getting 3g and ususally HSPA using speakout on this phone in SK. Tethered browsing on the laptop using SO is quicker than on my WAP at home. Drains the battery really quick though. I don't even know if the charger would keep up if it were hooked up by usb.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)