Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1530 posts
273 upvotes
Gatineau
cedqc418 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2012 7:35 pm
Yes i have see this from the day 1 ... but call 611 ... many rep tell me if it work ... you can use all apps in the phone ... don't tether and you are okay ...
I don't want continue about the word unlimited ... each people have different opinions ...

Anyone can answer my question : can you port petro canada number to speakout ?
i thought the 400 mins special is only for these 2 months... are you sure it is a good idea to switch?
Jul 28, 2012
9 posts
1 upvote
QC - Canada
Sorry ... for the port no problems i have call ... and ... the 200 mins is not clear ... i have two different answer from the 611... and website is not clear too...

i think i will try to signup and port the number after ...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44228 posts
3253 upvotes
Toronto
cedqc418 wrote:
Jul 30th, 2012 8:19 pm
Sorry ... for the port no problems i have call ... and ... the 200 mins is not clear ... i have two different answer from the 611... and website is not clear too...

i think i will try to signup and port the number after ...
Just keep calling till you have a definitive answer If you can port or not, So then you don't waste the SIM card!
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Enabling Opera Turbo does not solve the image compression problem when tethering to a PC, unfortunately. Any other suggestions?
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4067 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Yes. Internet doesn´t work through this APN, nor on the phone neither tethered.
Jun 4, 2011
182 posts
47 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Can someone confirm whether this is a viable strategy for setting up tethering on my tablet:

1) Purchase Sim Card
2) Purchase unlimited browsing plan
3) Insert new sim card into my current bell/baka phone (Samsung Wave)
4) Follow instructions on page 1 to set up tethering in android
5) Profit???

If so, this seems like one of the best deals since sliced bread.

I work in Waterloo but live in Brampton, so this would come in very handy on my lengthy commute
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10169 posts
3112 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
1) Purchase Sim Card and airtime voucher
1.5) Activate SIM and add airtime credit to your account
2) Purchase unlimited browsing plan
3) Insert new sim card into my current bell/baka phone (Samsung Wave) (already done in step 1.5) )
4) Follow instructions on page 1 to set up tethering in android
5) Profit???

Assumptions:
1. the Wave is unlocked or locked to Robbers (unlikely if it's a Bhell phone)
2. the Wave has a tethering feature
3. you realize UMB provides for unlimited browsing, not general cell data
4. you're not driving the vehicle during your lengthy commute ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 4, 2011
182 posts
47 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Thank you so much for the response Bylo.

I have an unlock code for the Bell phone, but am unsure as to whether it supports Tethering. I have no interest in general cell data, just something that will allow me to check email and access my cloud storage while in transit (and yes, I take the Go Bus down, so no surfing and driving for me!)

One again, thanks!
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10169 posts
3112 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
caltech26 wrote:
Jul 31st, 2012 4:26 pm
I have an unlock code for the Bell phone, but am unsure as to whether it supports Tethering.
FWIW my Gio, which has lesser specs than the Wave, came from Bhell and was locked. I've used it to tether a notebook PC when my DSL went down, so I'm fairly confident that your Wave will work as well. You may want to follow the information in the OP to get a bit more functionality out of UMB. But to do that you'll need to root the phone in order to run ProxyDroid or AutoProxy.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 21, 2008
224 posts
42 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Jul 31st, 2012 4:31 pm
FWIW my Gio, which has lesser specs than the Wave, came from Bhell and was locked. I've used it to tether a notebook PC when my DSL went down, so I'm fairly confident that your Wave will work as well. You may want to follow the information in the OP to get a bit more functionality out of UMB. But to do that you'll need to root the phone in order to run ProxyDroid or AutoProxy.
hi Bylo
i have a gio unlocked and rooted, but not much luck tethering, if you can give me step by step directions it would be much appreciated
TIA
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10169 posts
3112 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I don't recall off-hand the specifics on tethering and I don't have the Gio at hand. I was also able to set up the Gio as a WiFi hotspot and access it from my notebook. As I recall that was faster and easier to set up.

Note that if you're running a proxy service on the Gio you need to specify its IP address in the proxy settings in the browser on the connected devices.

Note also that because this consumes lots of power the Gio needs to be wired to a source of power anyway, e.g. a USB port on the connected device that you'd need for tethering.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1510 posts
71 upvotes
Wonder how does one check the mobile data used on android ? Had a look at setting it seems only show the combination of wifi and mobile. Thanks.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10169 posts
3112 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
That depends on the version of Android. ICS and JB have very good built-in apps for monitoring mobile and WiFi bandwidth usage, setting quotas, etc. For earlier versions like GB there are many apps available in Google Play with varying features and capabilities.
veni, vidi, Visa