Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
LanEvoVII wrote: Try using skype?
Better test is say use fongo (dell voice) and see if it works.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5496 posts
2323 upvotes
crownroyal wrote: Aren't you guys getting data with no restrictions right now? I don't need to use anything for all my apps atm.
Nope, nothing works for me other then the stock browser. It shows compressed images too.
Not even dolphin browser works for me. DroidVPN doesnt work at all now either.

Im guessing your using IceCream Sandwich and thats the reason why everything works for you. Something is changed with that one.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Nope, nothing works for me other then the stock browser. It shows compressed images too.
Not even dolphin browser works for me. DroidVPN doesnt work at all now either.

Im guessing your using IceCream Sandwich and thats the reason why everything works for you. Something is changed with that one.
+1. most likely the case.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
chimp wrote: +1. most likely the case.
Curious as to what was different in ICS that isn't in JB considering ICS is an older version of Android?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
icemasta wrote: Curious as to what was different in ICS that isn't in JB considering ICS is an older version of Android?
I meant ICS+(including JB). Since ICS, google changes the programming model which would utilize kind of system wide proxy setting(as in iOS or for those programming Windows .NET). This means the applications do not need to manually handle the proxying(which is what autoproxy does).

So it is still proxying, just don't need iptable tricks like autoproxy.
Jan 26, 2012
202 posts
24 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I don't know if I have ics or jb. It says 4.1.1 in my settings. For me, speedtest upload and download work, magic jack works, whatsapp works, and textfree does as well.
And no, browser images are not compressed.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5496 posts
2323 upvotes
crownroyal wrote: I don't know if I have ics or jb. It says 4.1.1 in my settings. For me, speedtest upload and download work, magic jack works, whatsapp works, and textfree does as well.
And no, browser images are not compressed.
Yup thats jelly bean. Thats the reason right there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
I would've assumed most members here are on at least ICS, but I guess not, if they were using Android so shouldn't less people be complaining about having the need to use proxy apps
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Yup thats jelly bean. Thats the reason right there.
that doesn't explain why whatsapp works or the browser image is not compressed though. The acid test is of course SIP calling :-)
Jan 26, 2012
202 posts
24 upvotes
BRAMPTON
So you guys are getting proxied because you're not on JB?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
if you set the apn proxy, it is proxied JB or no JB.

as mentioned try fongo or any SIP and see if it works then you would know if you have full data. though whatsapp is supposed to be not working without full data.
Jan 26, 2012
202 posts
24 upvotes
BRAMPTON
Isn't magicjack SIP?

Edit: Fongo works as well. Voice quality isn't half bad.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
crownroyal wrote: Isn't magicjack SIP?

Edit: Fongo works as well. Voice quality isn't half bad.
that means it is full data then. however, fongo use ulaw (unless they now gives you g.729) which is pretty bad over 3G so i am surprised you found the quality ok.
Jan 26, 2012
202 posts
24 upvotes
BRAMPTON
I was thinking of getting an iPhone 5, should I just hang on to the S3? Is it the phone itself that allows me to get full data? This is crazy lol
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5496 posts
2323 upvotes
I have an old optimus one phone which is why I was on an old Android OS.
Looked around the custom roms and found an ICS ROM. Installed it and set up the settings again. Not sure if I should install a new baseband too tho. Will see how it goes.

So far everything is working good I think. I havent installed much yet. TextMe now works, but doesnt do push notifications. So the only way to know if i have a message is to open the app up. That is ok. better then nothing.

Images in browser are compressed. Using Dolphin browser mini. Just went to the facebook page so far for a test.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
crownroyal wrote: I was thinking of getting an iPhone 5, should I just hang on to the S3? Is it the phone itself that allows me to get full data? This is crazy lol
nothing to do with the phone ;-)
Mar 20, 2006
503 posts
106 upvotes
chimp wrote: I don't use speedtest.net to test, only follow my own real experience. I have been using openvpn for 10+ years and in the past only use UDP for a long while even they have introduced TCP which was supposed to 'increase througput'. But noticed that tcp actually gives me better actual usage experience(mainly RDP across the oceans).

I was referring to those links. tunneling is a complicated issue and it is difficult to say absolutely one is better than other(why I said I don't want to get into technical arguments as it all depends).

openvpn for SO is a way to make certain thing works but not a desirable way(i.e. performance). If you care about that, get a real data plan and not from rogers(well may be LTE is ok). I have full data and it still is slower than telus/bell.

DroidVPN is just openvpn in disguise, you can try UDP but it is at the mercy of rogers(they can close it).
Yes, I'm using it because too many things don't work without it, things as simple as push notifications.

To backup Speedtest, I also tried downloading files, such as this one. I didn't see a 3x difference there though, more like 5x. It's a pretty big deal.

I can see what you're saying about TCP being a better choice for stability, but what we're doing here isn't merely TCP. Because of the proxy, it's a doubling-up of TCP, and that's where the inefficiencies bloom. As one of the comments said, it's the "application's TCP session encapsulated in your VPN's TCP session, doubling your ACKs and re-transmissions."

I'll go ahead and try UDP then just to see, but there's no evidence that OpenVPN supports UDP with http proxies, at least going by the documentation.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
rseiler wrote: Yes, I'm using it because too many things don't work without it, things as simple as push notifications.

To backup Speedtest, I also tried downloading files, such as this one. I didn't see a 3x difference there though, more like 5x. It's a pretty big deal.

I can see what you're saying about TCP being a better choice for stability, but what we're doing here isn't merely TCP. Because of the proxy, it's a doubling-up of TCP, and that's where the inefficiencies bloom. As one of the comments said, it's the "application's TCP session encapsulated in your VPN's TCP session, doubling your ACKs and re-transmissions."

I'll go ahead and try UDP then just to see, but there's no evidence that OpenVPN supports UDP with http proxies, at least going by the documentation.
No. UDP and Proxy are incompatible. What HTTP proxy does is it becomes a TCP bridge to connect your device to the other side. UDP is completely different. The problem with this particular case has nothing to do with vpn over tcp but because the proxy frequently cut the bridge and it needs to be re-established.

just get a better data plan that fits you if push is important. virgin's tablet plan is a good choice, so is pc mobile. Both are on bell network with much better coverage(thus speed) than rogers, at least in my area.

EDIT:
modern day TCP has very little re-transimission or something is wrong with one of the device involved. I just solved a case(as i said day job) where there is a complain that voip.ms quality is bad and they spend quite some effort and money to switch to another provider(after an initial test feeling it was better) then found it is even worse at times.

Ends up one of the internal router used is the culprit that cause 30% packet drops :-)
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4769 posts
1560 upvotes
I can confirm that it's since I updated to ICS that it started to work without using Autoproxy.
Another phone on Gingerbread still requires proxy to get data

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)