Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
Snuupy wrote:
Nov 19th, 2012 9:39 pm
I don't think, I know. I've bypassed firewalls previously, and there's no one method to block all connections, unless you block off certain types of traffic completely. (At that point, it would be almost like censorship - or actual censorship)
That is an issue of the person setup the firewall don't know how to do it properly(or don't bother) :-)

Roger's rule is quite lax, there is a few things that they can do which would render VPN/SSH not usable.

It would still works unless the disable SSL which would make UMB useless but they can make it results in very lousy throughput and unacceptable lantency. And can eat up even more of your battery than what it is now.

And even if they disable SSL(i.e. CONNECT), there are still ip-over-XXX that would work but that means even worse speed, talking about the 2400/9600 era and may only good ssh console type usage.

By that time, who care about the 10 bucks unlimited UMB at 9600bps ? Things have to be looked at within certain context, I have never come arcoss a network(be it paid hotspot, corporate network or mobile so long the assign me an IP) that I cannot get through but for the most restrictive ones(still can browse at fullspeed but no SSL), it is only good for ssh console.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1284 posts
60 upvotes
Anyone having trouble with UMB right now? Mine stopped working ~1 hr ago.

Edit: nevermind, started working again.
Jan 19, 2006
287 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Mine also didn't work, just rebooted the phone and it seemed to work now.
May 28, 2012
91 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
Ya early Rogers cable Internet and wireless Internet was
down for 5-10min now all good.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1274 posts
246 upvotes
If you've got the OBi100, OBi110, or other models, here's a trick to get Skype to Phone calling for no additional cost.

1) Signup at ippi.fr to get a SIP account with bridging to Skype for free.
2) Configure your OBi to use ippi.fr as a voice service. Route inbound calls to the Auto-Attendent.
3) From your phone, Skype to ippi. When ippi asks via messaging, tell ippi your account name. The OBi's Auto-Attendent will answer, and you can select the option to initiate a new call.

Quality depends on how well Skype over UMB works for you.

Here's a little link describing ippi's SIP-to-Skype usage:

http://siptoskype.com/

It should work in the other direction too. You can configure the OBi to dial to your Skype account with Dialmaps and speed dials.

Basically you use the OBi as your gateway between Skype, Google Voice, SIP, and POTS.

Good luck!
Jun 9, 2006
326 posts
24 upvotes
I know this is a thread for android users, but anyone having trouble with guizmovpn and speakout? not working today.
Apr 7, 2007
815 posts
23 upvotes
Scarborough
Recently got a galaxy s3 was going to give my mom the iPhone 4 that's locked to rogers. Question was does tune in radio work with the speak out data plan? That's pretty much all she would use on it data wise other than maps

Its still on 5.1.1 jail broken
Nov 24, 2011
24 posts
CALGARY
TuneIn Radio works kind of on my rooted Google Nexus S with AutoProxy and UMB. The only problem is that not all the stations work.Some do, some don't.
Jul 19, 2007
210 posts
42 upvotes
I just got Nexus 7 tablet with 3G version. I rooted the tablet and put AutoProxy on it, also need to cut the Speakout SIM to a microSIM to fit in the tablet. All browsing and the usual apps work fine. Now, there's an interesting part that I discovered, Nexus 7 can receive sms text fine without any change, but I cannot reply to the text or create a new sms. After some searching, I downloaded a mms apk and put that in Nexus 7's system/app folder. After rebooting, I got the Messaging app in my app drawer, and I can now send and receive text messages with my speakout number just like a regular phone.
I got bit carried away thinking I might be able to put the phone dialer in there the same way, but there's already a phone.apk in there, and by overwriting it with a phone.apk I downloaded, the 3G won't work anymore, luckily I made a backup of the original phone.apk and put it back, reboot and everything is fine. I guess calling from Nexus 7 might be harder than texting.
If anyone 's interested in the texting part, here's the link to get the mms.apk.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1591989

I just love using the Nexus 7 with the UMB service. No longer need to tether it between my Samsung Gio and Acer A100. Sold them both and Nexus 7 does it perfectly with better screen and speed. I didn't need the phone feature of Gio anyways as I have another regular phone from work to use for free. For $10 a month and internet on the go with Nexus 7, it's pretty cheap I say.
× < >