Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7158 posts
695 upvotes
williamsauga wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 9:44 pm
My Galaxy Nexus 4.1.2 works with Dellvoice/Fongo/Skype/Browsing/pretty much everything with just ProxyDroid

my other phone (Xperia Ray, Xperia Pro, Xperia Arc S, Nexus 4) however works with Dellvoice/ Fongo ONLY if I use both ProxyDroid + DroidVPN.

Anyone has any clue to why?

all phones are rooted, same port, settings... etc.
DellVoice works with VPN ? I have my doubt as it is SIP that needs UDP and ProxyDroid cannot handle that.

Beside, you don't need ProxyDroid if you use VPN.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1530 posts
274 upvotes
Gatineau
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 10:35 pm
I think I saw 300 the other day when I used It.
darn... is it only me then... i wonder why :( I missed the speed I used to have!
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
1519 posts
49 upvotes
ON
A bit OT:
Anyone tried a locked Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8) on Speakout? Does it work?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4198 posts
374 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
thegradas wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 12:11 am
A bit OT:
Anyone tried a locked Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8) on Speakout? Does it work?
+1

I'd like to know how well (or not well) umb work on Speakout.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7158 posts
695 upvotes
must be able to use browsing and the like but very likely the least useful among the three as there is very unlikely to have any VPN option nor proxy solution.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4984 posts
910 upvotes
Whitby
I have my son on Speakout using an unlocked Bell S3. With the new JB update out for the S3 we would like to update the phone....not sure which image to use, he needs a rooted image on an unlocked phone as he now has. Would these be correct steps:
Apply an unlock keeper App such as Voodo...not sure this is necessary as were not taking an OTA update?
After running the App to keep the phone unlocked, use Odin307 and follow the instructions in Mr Robinson's thread on XDA to install JB image on the S3....but which image? Since the phone is originally Bell should we use the rooted Bell img on the thread...or can we apply the Rogers image since the phoe will be used on Speakout (Rogers) network?

Not even sure there would be any advantage to using a Rogers JB image on the S3?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4984 posts
910 upvotes
Whitby
Thanks Arclite; I have read your post....I'm going to research a lot before upgrading that S3.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4850 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 10:25 pm
droidvpn is very slow for me recently. My max download speed is 30KB/S... anyone had similar experience?
+1. Over Rogers 3G I was getting ~50Kb down and > 1Mb up which didn't make much sense. However over WiFi, speeds are normal.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2709 posts
487 upvotes
Toronto
arclite wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 9:04 am
You use the ORIGINAL one. If the phone is Bell BRANDED, use the bell image.

on a side note: flashing the Rogers image on the Bell branded device will most likely brick your phone.

I really hope you read this post before actually doing anything because you can really screw up a phone this way.
I don't think so, as long as the phone are the same model number then it should be compatible with almost all stock ROMs, Bell, Rogers, Telus, even ATT.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7158 posts
695 upvotes
FWIW, I once even tried flashing an Ace with Asian/Europe/South American ROM and it still works(deliberately trying to see if i can enable band I but unfortunately failed).
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2004
1575 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
Slightly off-topic.. anyone notice any signal strength issues with Speakout? Tried the SIM on my optimus G and im getting a fluctuation between -89dB to -104dB (4 to 1 bar) in my room on the second floor by a window. Tried a Rogers SIM and signal strength is much better (HSPA connections for both). Called Speakout and spoke to customer service and they tell me all they can suggest is restart my phone and that they have no technical support department. Any suggestions on how to proceed? If I call Rogers, I'm sure they will just direct me to Speakout..
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all outta gum.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2008
4984 posts
910 upvotes
Whitby
Sepharite wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 10:46 am
I don't think so, as long as the phone are the same model number then it should be compatible with almost all stock ROMs, Bell, Rogers, Telus, even ATT.
I'll read through XDA forums etc, don't want to lose the unlock on this S3 (certainly don't want a $600 doorstop!)....I'm not sure there would be any benefits to installing the Rogers img with phone on Speakout? Sure is a lot of bloatware on Bell, np to remove that since I will apply rooted image.

I get an occasional Rogers Prepaid sim from work I can throw in my sons S3 to save Speakout costs-be good if he had Rogers image those months.
Mar 1, 2012
134 posts
18 upvotes
Niagara
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 11:36 pm
darn... is it only me then... i wonder why :( I missed the speed I used to have!
It wouldn't surprise me if it was the "free" DroidVPN.