Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2004
2775 posts
102 upvotes
But yeah the OP should edit the first post to include 2GB limit in bold to stop pointless redudant angry rants. I'll be thankful for the 2gb cap for now that may soon be reduced to 1gb by persistent abusers. They should just ban IMEI for repeat offenders seeing how easy it is to buy a new sim card but who would buy a new sim card use to browse for 1 month to get kicked off anyways? $10 sim + $10 browsing = $20 per month , might as well use wind or mobilicity in that case. For people who rarely use airtime minutes or send sms much and use data more I don't see a better option than speakout and petro. I would not get one of those wind or mobilcity plans and add data simply because I do not need unlimited talk or sms and there's no point paying for something I won't use. Until wind or mobilicity has pay to talk with an option to add basic limited data which is 6GB for $10-15 (Mobilicity has 6GB for $10 with a $25 monthly plan) I'm not switching.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1356 posts
235 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
my old speakout phone broke so while looking on Kijiji for a new one it seems some asshats are selling people speakout service what they call "unlimited streaming" for $10 a month, I'm 99% sure this is super illegal or against the TOS and is probably affecting us too :(
Nov 6, 2006
161 posts
5 upvotes
Has anyone successfully implemented the proxy feature in DD-Wrt / OpenWrt / TomatoUSB firmware? Using these linux based router firmwares, I can connect a router to my cell phone as a wireless client, but the clients of the router each has to have it's own proxy settings (10.128.1.69:80) to work. My goal is the eliminating the need to reconfigure the clients of my router, i.e. as soon as a device wirelessly connects to the router, it will be able to surf / youtube.

I truely believe this is doable inside a router, I just don't know enough about iptables commands to do it. For those interested, here are 2 links

A simple one: http://sq4ind.eu/?p=41

And a very long one: http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/H ... arentProxy

Thanks.

Fish
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2517 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
I'm currently paying the $35 month, with 200 minutes, unlimited text and 2GB data. I'm starting to use a lot of minutes now... so now I only have 60 minutes left out of my 200, with 20 days left. So I used 140 minutes in one week... adding another 100 minutes for $5 wouldn't be bad. But I'm thinking of getting a plan with unlimited talk, or perhaps unlimited incoming calling. I use about 1GB of data a month too. Think I should stay with SO and use something like DroidVPN with VOIP? Or get a real smartphone plan for $60.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Sepharite wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 7:17 pm
I'm currently paying the $35 month, with 200 minutes, unlimited text and 2GB data. I'm starting to use a lot of minutes now... so now I only have 60 minutes left out of my 200, with 20 days left. So I used 140 minutes in one week... adding another 100 minutes for $5 wouldn't be bad. But I'm thinking of getting a plan with unlimited talk, or perhaps unlimited incoming calling. I use about 1GB of data a month too. Think I should stay with SO and use something like DroidVPN with VOIP? Or get a real smartphone plan for $60.
Proxy + VPN isn't exactly the greatest combo for VOIP.

I know SO has CF, so I assume you can call forward to a VOIP # such as Dell Voice when your within WiFi to save on some minutes. Not sure if SO deducts minutes if you CF though.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2517 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
icemasta wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 7:24 pm
Proxy + VPN isn't exactly the greatest combo for VOIP.

I know SO has CF, so I assume you can call forward to a VOIP # such as Dell Voice when your within WiFi to save on some minutes. Not sure if SO deducts minutes if you CF though.
Yeah that's true. I can use dell voice when I'm at home. It's a battery killer though, which I hate.

I'll look up CF. Not sure if they can do that.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2517 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
I'm thinking of going to Fido. How long does it take to port your speakout number, if that's possible?

While the number is being ported, can I still use my number on Speakout still until it's ported? I'd hate to be without a phone for a few days. Like living in the dark ages.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Sepharite wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 8:17 pm
I'm thinking of going to Fido. How long does it take to port your speakout number, if that's possible?

While the number is being ported, can I still use my number on Speakout still until it's ported? I'd hate to be without a phone for a few days. Like living in the dark ages.
For all the times I ported in/out, it generally can take up to 24 hours.

I know calling will still work while the number is porting out, can't remember if texts do too but can't see why not.

I've thought about SO/Petro but without evening/weekends, I can't pull the trigger. I'm waiting for the days we see unlimited nation-wide talk/text/2-6GB of data for $50 before I sign up with the Big 3 and from the looks of it, hopefully within a year.
Jul 6, 2009
212 posts
21 upvotes
Newbie here. With a stock unlocked S2, would the following work: Browser, Maps, Mail?

I read about proxy but it is way over my head. May be when I have more experience, I will think about it but for the time being I want to keep things simple.

I just want to have occasional data access.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2517 posts
462 upvotes
Toronto
icemasta wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 8:57 pm
For all the times I ported in/out, it generally can take up to 24 hours.

I know calling will still work while the number is porting out, can't remember if texts do too but can't see why not.

I've thought about SO/Petro but without evening/weekends, I can't pull the trigger. I'm waiting for the days we see unlimited nation-wide talk/text/2-6GB of data for $50 before I sign up with the Big 3 and from the looks of it, hopefully within a year.
Not bad. SO is a smaller company so hopefully they don't take too long to port.

I'm thinking of going with Fido 2 year plan $56 unlimited and getting a free phone. Selling the phone to balance things out. Ends up being $40 a month. Good freakin deal, I think.
Denis54 wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 9:01 pm
Newbie here. With a stock unlocked S2, would the following work: Browser, Maps, Mail?

I read about proxy but it is way over my head. May be when I have more experience, I will think about it but for the time being I want to keep things simple.

I just want to have occasional data access.
I highly recommend rooting and proxy. It's really really easy, assuming you're using i9100. There is a simple site somewhere, takes about 5 minutes to root it.

Trust me, in the end, it's worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3449 posts
205 upvotes
Markham
btw, SO still doesn't offer micro sim, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
3449 posts
205 upvotes
Markham
Sepharite wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 9:26 pm
No but cut it yourself.
Thanks for quick reply. I am going to buy an iphone 4(or 4s) from a friend. but phone is locked to rogers. I speak to SO customer service and she said Roger locked their phone in two ways. If it is locked to their service, then I can just insert sim card(need cut), but if it is locked to their server(or something), then need ask Rogers unlock. Can anyone confirm this and if so,how to confirm which kind of lock system do they use(especially for Iphone 4)

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2004
1564 posts
406 upvotes
Mississauga
smartie wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 10:24 pm
Thanks for quick reply. I am going to buy an iphone 4(or 4s) from a friend. but phone is locked to rogers. I speak to SO customer service and she said Roger locked their phone in two ways. If it is locked to their service, then I can just insert sim card(need cut), but if it is locked to their server(or something), then need ask Rogers unlock. Can anyone confirm this and if so,how to confirm which kind of lock system do they use(especially for Iphone 4)

Thanks
not a big iPhone person but here is what LITTLE I know. Would ofcourse recommend getting a 3rd opinion.
For the iPhone 4S, if you have the older OS (not 6.0.1), then there is a "Gevey SIM" method that is fairly cheap to do (~$20? Less?) that is a partial hardware modification (should not void warranty) that you can unlock your phone with. If it is the latest version, then I don't know if there is a cheap method of unlocking, outside of paying someone almost $100 on eBay for the unlock code, which is ridiculous.
What your friend says makes sense. Speakout uses Rogers towers so in most cases, Rogers phones work with Speakout SIMs. iPhones I believe are different because they use iTunes server to activate the phone and I assume that is what your friend was referring to. In any event, I don't believe Rogers gives out unlock codes. Atleast that used to be the case when I worked for them a couple years ago.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all outta gum.
× < >