Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2758 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Keep note that iPhone 4 Bell cannot be unlocked.

If it's iPhone 4/S Rogers, then it should work, if I'm not mistaken... since Speakout is Rogers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7170 posts
699 upvotes
telus/koodo can be unlocked @ 50-60 bucks, rogers only if you are their customer and so other terms or 100+ on the net. bell no way.

gevey on 4s is not desirable, i had it for a while but sometimes it would kind of 'lock up, saying requires activation'(and when on the street, difficult to deal with). ends up paying to unlock it(telus version).

using gevey on 4(SO) and it runs perfect, guaranteed to be repeatable via the manual 112 sequence.

Both stay with 5.1.1(no 6, thanks).
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2758 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, that's practically 2 mB/s... the max I'm getting is 1mB/s which is still pretty impressive. But I think it's the end for me with SO, I need my minutes, and I hate the proxy battery drain. I'm going with Fido's $56 plan for 2 years, pretty good deal imo.

With that said, I asked this before, but maybe someone has more insight: has anyone ported their SO number out to another carrier?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1216 upvotes
Halifax
Google just announced that they will be eliminating exchange sync for new users. Existing users will be able to keep it.

In order to get push Gmail and Gmail calendar sync working on Speakout, I believe it is necessary to go through exchange. Does anyone know a work around (besides setting up a VPN)?

So this may make Speakout less valuable for new customers. And I don't even know if you'll be able to get a new phone or reset your current phone and still be able to use exchange sync.

http://googleblog.blogspot.ca/2012/12/w ... aning.html
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2758 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
I tried porting my Speakout Number to Fido while buying the new plan, I didn't have the IMEI number or w/e in person.

So once I had my Fido, I called Fido and asked to port my number. It gave them an error or something saying that the number isn't valid. I thought that was odd. The account number, being my phone number, was not valid as well.

So I go to Rogers to port my number there into a prepaid (thinking I can port it to Fido after). Rogers says my number is already pending for a port. WTF.

I called SO and they can't see anything on the account.

So I'm kind of lost. I'm going to wait until tomorrow. Maybe the person that activated my account sent a port request.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Jun 2, 2002
290 posts
89 upvotes
ceraf wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 10:45 pm
This may be bad news to some users... Gmail is dropping Exchange ActiveSync support.
Time to switch to outlook.com ?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4201 posts
374 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
miji2 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 11:02 pm
Time to switch to outlook.com ?
Well, Gmail users can use the Gmail app, but they lose push/fetch email that exchange provides.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4874 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2012 10:25 pm
droidvpn is very slow for me recently. My max download speed is 30KB/S... anyone had similar experience?
Same here, it is un-usable for anything besides TextPlus and e-mails. The upload is fine and it works fine on Wi-Fi which makes this all pretty strange. I am wondering if Rogers is throttling the traffic or something. In either case, I haven't found any other VPN on the Play Store that works with our config. I am thinking I will just have to make my own VPN now.
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
Asad_A203 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 1:27 am
Same here, it is un-usable for anything besides TextPlus and e-mails. The upload is fine and it works fine on Wi-Fi which makes this all pretty strange. I am wondering if Rogers is throttling the traffic or something. In either case, I haven't found any other VPN on the Play Store that works with our config. I am thinking I will just have to make my own VPN now.
cisco app works. most university use cisco vpn free for students
:D :D :D :D :razz: :razz: :razz:
Jun 21, 2011
292 posts
25 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 12:56 am
Luckily i use Hotmail/Outlook, i never liked Gmail.. Ads are annoying..
try ad block, but not working on proxy, only on wifi or vpn
:D :D :D :D :razz: :razz: :razz: