Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Mar 7, 2007
83 posts
7 upvotes
Hmm, ~150ms ping -- sounds a bit too high for VoIP, ammirite?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
150ms is fine. The problem though is, can you get predictable result(or QoS). The problem of VOIP on cell is not about just latency and speed but big swing. From very usable to acceptable, all at the mercy of people around you
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
in the process of setting up my N7, i realize that there is kind of an official openvpn client from openvpn inc., called openvpn connect in the store. This seems to be taking advantage of the ICS+ framework change so root may no longer be needed.

If that is the case, it would make openvpn easier to setup. don't have time to check the detail, just pass on the info.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
5054 posts
260 upvotes
Kanata
Did you root your phone?
SomeGuyGG wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 10:25 pm
Loving the data using Petro Canada! Getting up to 15Mb down on my nexus 4, lowest was 5MB and a perfect signal everywhere [WAY better than my buddies WIND phone]. Using the paid version of autoproxy, totally worth it as it automatically turns off when on wifi. Everything I need seems to work great, wish gmail could still push notifications but I can work around it, for the price I have no complaints!
That will be great, anybody else test out? I am too lazy to root, as I would not be able to just upgrade ota to the latest version of software.
chimp wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 3:14 pm
in the process of setting up my N7, i realize that there is kind of an official openvpn client from openvpn inc., called openvpn connect in the store. This seems to be taking advantage of the ICS+ framework change so root may no longer be needed.

If that is the case, it would make openvpn easier to setup. don't have time to check the detail, just pass on the info.
One more question, anybody know if SO/petro has a way to detect whether you are tethering, I may need to tethering occasionally using Android's build in USB tethering or wifi hotspot on road as sometimes it is hard to check things on the phone. But I have a lot of balance on my account so I don't want to risk for it. Is there a risk for SO to detect that I am tethering thus close my account without warning (assuming I am not reaching the 2g threshold) ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
rivet wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 10:34 pm
One more question, anybody know if SO/petro has a way to detect whether you are tethering, I may need to tethering occasionally using Android's build in USB tethering or wifi hotspot on road as sometimes it is hard to check things on the phone. But I have a lot of balance on my account so I don't want to risk for it. Is there a risk for SO to detect that I am tethering thus close my account without warning (assuming I am not reaching the 2g threshold) ?
Quite easy to check. If you tethering then say just visit a site that shows your ip(on both the tethered device and the phone), they should give you the same IP. if that is the case, you are NATed and means SO would in general not knowing about that.

Beside, they don't care much, it is just a term of use for the 'in case'.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2595 posts
10 upvotes
can someone give me some tips with droidvpn, doesn't seem to be able to connect through speakouts data, can't onpen udp ports.
Feb 19, 2003
4 posts
Droidvpn isn't working for me either. I got proxydroid running, but absolutely no luck with vpn
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1164 posts
72 upvotes
Kitchener
My cousin was telling me that Speakout's data has returned to the old days before Roger's closed all the ports. Is this true and is there a way in Windows Phone to do something similar to the proxydroid workaround?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4144 posts
354 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
X-Nemesis wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 11:55 am
My cousin was telling me that Speakout's data has returned to the old days before Roger's closed all the ports. Is this true and is there a way in Windows Phone to do something similar to the proxydroid workaround?
Haven't had a chance to try, but you can see if the app from this thread works with speakout settings: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/unlocked ... l-1275243/
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1391 posts
51 upvotes
On my nexus s I cannot seem to access Yahoo email using the yahoo apps whenever I am on speak out 3G. Works fine on wifi. Error says can't connect to server. Anybody else see this? I have phone rooted with proxydroid setup.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2010
1694 posts
326 upvotes
Scarborough
I just ported from Mobilicity to Petro Canada yesterday. I live in Toronto. They said it takes 1-3 BUSINESS days. Does Saturday count as a business day. I know it shouldn't since it's not a weekday, but they do technically work on Saturday (New activations and port-ins) so why can't they process my port-in request? Can someone tell me if today is a business day or not? 'Cause it doesn't make sense if all 7 days were business days; then they wouldn't be called business days anymore. Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 26, 2002
9324 posts
2495 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Devotion wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 1:20 pm
I just ported from Mobilicity to Petro Canada yesterday. I live in Toronto. They said it takes 1-3 BUSINESS days. Does Saturday count as a business day. I know it shouldn't since it's not a weekday, but they do technically work on Saturday (New activations and port-ins) so why can't they process my port-in request? Can someone tell me if today is a business day or not? 'Cause it doesn't make sense if all 7 days were business days; then they wouldn't be called business days anymore. Thanks!
No Saturday is not considered a business day.
Mar 11, 2011
460 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
sfrancis wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 7:11 pm
On my nexus s I cannot seem to access Yahoo email using the yahoo apps whenever I am on speak out 3G. Works fine on wifi. Error says can't connect to server. Anybody else see this? I have phone rooted with proxydroid setup.
I have a Galaxy s2 running ICS firmware. I can connect to Yahoo Mail without the proxy.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1391 posts
51 upvotes
46jimbo wrote:
Dec 29th, 2012 8:21 pm
I have a Galaxy s2 running ICS firmware. I can connect to Yahoo without the proxy.
Thanks. Tried the app from Yahoo instead of the default email app and it works fine now.
Feb 17, 2007
166 posts
15 upvotes
wllq wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2012 3:28 pm
I just got Nexus 7 tablet with 3G version. I rooted the tablet and put AutoProxy on it, also need to cut the Speakout SIM to a microSIM to fit in the tablet. All browsing and the usual apps work fine. Now, there's an interesting part that I discovered, Nexus 7 can receive sms text fine without any change, but I cannot reply to the text or create a new sms. After some searching, I downloaded a mms apk and put that in Nexus 7's system/app folder. After rebooting, I got the Messaging app in my app drawer, and I can now send and receive text messages with my speakout number just like a regular phone.
I got bit carried away thinking I might be able to put the phone dialer in there the same way, but there's already a phone.apk in there, and by overwriting it with a phone.apk I downloaded, the 3G won't work anymore, luckily I made a backup of the original phone.apk and put it back, reboot and everything is fine. I guess calling from Nexus 7 might be harder than texting.
If anyone 's interested in the texting part, here's the link to get the mms.apk.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1591989
I just bought a Nexus 7 3G and would like to root it first so I can install AutoProxy to use it with Speakout UMB. What rooting method did you use? I would appreciate if you could share "how to" instructions or any links of rooting the Nexus 7 with 3G version. Thanks.
× < >