Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9380 posts
1286 upvotes
Hi, I am new to Speakout. I see the AP settings in OP but can somebody point me to how to setup wireless hotspot and autoproxy with Speakout on Android devices? thanks!!!

btw, I head the $10 "unlimited" browsing plan actually has a 2GB limit, is that true?
Dec 23, 2007
471 posts
11 upvotes
Calgary
Is Skype working with SO now? It used to work on my other Galaxy S2, but not on my present one :( . I am on Jelly Bean 4.1.2. Or is there any similar app like Skype that work? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2010
1718 posts
348 upvotes
Scarborough
I ported out on Friday to Petro... How come it's still not ported out yet? I live in Toronto. How long does it usually take?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1514 posts
269 upvotes
Gatineau
Devotion wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 2:41 pm
I ported out on Friday to Petro... How come it's still not ported out yet? I live in Toronto. How long does it usually take?
about a week according to my aunt
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2010
1718 posts
348 upvotes
Scarborough
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 3:15 pm
about a week according to my aunt
You're joking right? They told me 1-3 business days. If it's a week, I won't have service....
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1182 posts
83 upvotes
I haven't purchased a SO sim yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get only a data plan onto my smart phone (I don't want voice or text messaging on my plan.) I basically want to use my smart phone as a hotspot for my laptop so I can travel around.

I see that SO provides a data plan for $10/month. Are there any other charges that I will incur ? How much is a SIM card ? What is the bandwidth limit per month ? What speeds to most people get in Ottawa ?

If I buy a $50 card and assuming I cancel the data plan after 1 month, how long will I be able to keep the remaining balance before it expires ?
May 19, 2005
754 posts
229 upvotes
Kingston
sylvestor2002 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 2:43 am
I see that SO provides a data plan for $10/month.
If you're referring to Unlimited Mobile Browsing....it is most definitely NOT a "data plan". Don't assume you can use it like a data plan, and don't assume it is easy to take advantage of it as a benefit, neither of which is true...Have you tried reading some of the information in this thread ? What about visiting their website ? I only ask because every question you have can be answered by visiting those websites and reading for a few minutes...what about Google, have you tried using Google ?

Also, if you ONLY want data for your laptop, why not just get an USB WWAN ? You can buy unlocked ones from ebay for $25., then you don't have to worry about tying to accomplish tethering or anything else...
May 19, 2005
754 posts
229 upvotes
Kingston
Devotion wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 2:41 pm
Devotion wrote:
Dec 31st, 2012 3:30 pm
You're joking right? They told me 1-3 business days. If it's a week, I won't have service....
Well....Friday doesn't count, its the day you requested the service, Saturday is NOT a business day, Sunday is NOT a business day. Monday will be "one" business day. Tuesday is NOT a business day, its a statutory holiday, Wednesday will be "two" and Thursday will be the "three" of the 1-3 business days. Considering the time of year, and the weather we've been having here in Southern Ontario...I'd lay money you won't have your service performed within the 1-3 business days estimate, and will likely end up not seeing it done till the 4th or 5th business day(ie. Friday, or Monday...). Your former service continues until your number is actually ported, unless you specifically cancel it before you port your number, or at least that is how it worked in MY case...

I'm not sure why this seems to come as a surprise to you though, as you state that this information was provided when you made the request to port your number....??
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10159 posts
3098 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
sylvestor2002 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 2:43 am
I see that SO provides a data plan for $10/month. Are there any other charges that I will incur ? How much is a SIM card ? What is the bandwidth limit per month ? What speeds to most people get in Ottawa ?
Did you spend even 5 minutes looking at the OP and/or SO's website. official or unofficial?
http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/
http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/

1. SO doesn't provide a data plan, not for $10 and not for any other amount. They do provide what they call "Unlimited" Mobile Browsing (UMB) which is neither unlimited data nor unlimited bandwidth usage.
2. Yes there are other charges.
3. The SIM costs $10.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4195 posts
374 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Speakout's fair use policy states 2GB, at which point they are allowed to terminate the service.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10159 posts
3098 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Actually they can cut you off without notice at their discretion at any level of bandwidth usage if they believe you're abusing/violating the intent of UMB, e.g. "to use my smart phone as a hotspot for my laptop so I can travel around."
SpeakOut.Terms&Conditions wrote:SpeakOut Wireless reserves the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred on the network and to deny or terminate Service, without notice, to anyone SpeakOut Wireless believes is using the SpeakOut Wireless unlimited web browsing*Service in any manner prohibited by these Terms and Conditions of Service or whose usage exceeds 2GB per month
veni, vidi, Visa
Sep 3, 2010
30 posts
4 upvotes
Montreal
entity wrote:
Dec 17th, 2012 12:47 am
I'll try:
1. Sign up with Astrill -- www.astrill.com
2. Download 'OpenVPN for Android' by Arne Schwabe onto your phone.
3. Login to your Astrill account online at www.astrill.com, under 'Members', goto the 'VPN Services' tab. Then click on 'OpenVPN Certificates Generation'
4. Enter a random description under Add New Certificates and then click on Add to my Certificates.
5. Click on the Download link to download the file.
6. Hook up your phone to computer and extract the .zip file into your phone storage.
7. Open up OpenVPN for Andoid, goto VPN Profiles, and click on the folder icon on the top right.
8. Navigate your phones internal storage to the location where you extracted the zip file. It should give you a list of Astrill's VPN servers. Pick one that you want (tap it once), and then click on select on bottom left. Then click on the Save icon (disk icon) on the top right.
9. Under VPN profiles, you should now see the server you selected. Click on the icon next to the server name to enter its settings menu.
10. Goto 'Basic' and change server port to 443 and tap the 'UDP' icon once to change it to TCP.
11. Hit back button and now goto Advanced, then goto Custom Options.
*note*: anything below this is what I got through trial and error. It works for me. I don't know/understand why. it may not be optimal settings but hopefully we can all help each other out and find out what is optimal.
12. Under Custom Options, DELETE the following lines:
explicit-exit-notify
ns-cert-type server
max-routes 1000
mute 20
13. Under Customer Options, ADD the following lines:
prot tcp
http-proxy 10.128.1.69 80
14. Hit 'Ok'. Go back to the VPN Profiles screen. And then select the Server name. It should connect.
*note #2*: Make sure that your APN is set to JUST goam.com -- it should not have the 10.128.1.69:80, wapuser1/wap info there. All you need to have is goam.com
I am currently using the paid service from DroidVPN and it is very slow when using 4G. I am not satisfied at all. What's the speed you get using Astrill over 4G? Can you connect to Fongo/Dell Voice? Do you know about a cheaper VPN server that works with Speakout/ Petro Canada and Fongo?

Thanks a lot!
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2010
1718 posts
348 upvotes
Scarborough
gn22 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 10:14 am
Well....Friday doesn't count, its the day you requested the service, Saturday is NOT a business day, Sunday is NOT a business day. Monday will be "one" business day. Tuesday is NOT a business day, its a statutory holiday, Wednesday will be "two" and Thursday will be the "three" of the 1-3 business days. Considering the time of year, and the weather we've been having here in Southern Ontario...I'd lay money you won't have your service performed within the 1-3 business days estimate, and will likely end up not seeing it done till the 4th or 5th business day(ie. Friday, or Monday...). Your former service continues until your number is actually ported, unless you specifically cancel it before you port your number, or at least that is how it worked in MY case...

I'm not sure why this seems to come as a surprise to you though, as you state that this information was provided when you made the request to port your number....??
Wtf... that means I have to pay another month of service with my current provider... Otherwise I'll lose my number... And what's the point of porting when you'll lose your number?
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2004
1575 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
murilotdb wrote:
Jan 1st, 2013 12:27 pm
I am currently using the paid service from DroidVPN and it is very slow when using 4G. I am not satisfied at all. What's the speed you get using Astrill over 4G? Can you connect to Fongo/Dell Voice? Do you know about a cheaper VPN server that works with Speakout/ Petro Canada and Fongo?

Thanks a lot!
Have not tried with Fongo/Dell voice. Used it with voip.ms and CSipSimple and generally I find it inadequate. It seems more of a hassle to connect to vpn everytime I want to make a phone call, only to have mediocre at best call quality and at worst very choppy call that makes it frustrating for people on both sides of the conversation. A quick speedtest on Astrill right now netted me 2.5Mbps down and 600kbps up. Not sure of any cheaper VPN servers as I haven't personally tried any others.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum and I'm all outta gum.
May 19, 2005
754 posts
229 upvotes
Kingston
arclite wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2013 12:59 am
Seriously, how can someone use up 2500 text messages in a month?
I'd considered the 2500/month text add on for my daughter when I got her a cell phone, by the 10 day mark of her first month, she'd already blown past the 2500 count, her AVERAGE texts/month is likely 5000+, and she's not at all unusual in the amount she texts among her group of friends....

$15./month for an unlimited text add on isn't competitive though, Fido has it for $10./month...