Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2010
1694 posts
326 upvotes
Scarborough
bylo wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 3:09 pm
You have to decide for yourself if the $25 bonus "reward" is worth the "risk" that SO discontinues UMB in 2013.
If SO discontinues it does that mean Petro will too?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8576 posts
2160 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Devotion wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 3:23 pm
If SO discontinues it does that mean Petro will too?
Beats me. It's pure speculation that SO will discontinue UMB so it's just more speculation on top of speculation that Petro would follow suit.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
arclite wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 2:29 pm
But is it worth it just to get an extra $25?
25 dollar is 25 dollar, worth what ?
Apr 5, 2012
143 posts
29 upvotes
OAKVILLE
I was with petro 2 months ago and then switched to telus. now i want to switch back with the same sim i had before with petro but they say i have to buy another sim and cant use the old one. they say since i cancelled my account i cant activate same sim again. is that true?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3473 posts
433 upvotes
Kingston
amk14boss wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 11:33 pm
I was with petro 2 months ago and then switched to telus. now i want to switch back with the same sim i had before with petro but they say i have to buy another sim and cant use the old one. they say since i cancelled my account i cant activate same sim again. is that true?
Yup.
gotta buy a new one. I think they are still on sale for $5 tho.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2003
4061 posts
122 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, I don't understand what's going on with DroidVPN. It used to work just fine, now it does not connect most of the time. It stays on ' scanning open ports'. It takes 20 tries to connect.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2034 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
amk14boss wrote:
Jan 6th, 2013 11:33 pm
Only company that is able to recycle old simcards is wind mobile.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6986 posts
654 upvotes
'Sash[DSL wrote:;16122419']Hey guys, I don't understand what's going on with DroidVPN. It used to work just fine, now it does not connect most of the time. It stays on ' scanning open ports'. It takes 20 tries to connect.
it is possible that rogers have done something, not to completely disable it but enough to make this not bearable. I have said that before, it is not too difficult to make this happens.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2034 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
arclite wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 5:39 pm
Really? Since when? Last time I tried to use an old SIM they said I have to buy a new one.
Maybe it was me only, but they let me use already canclled wind sim card for prepaid.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Just setup the speakout on Nexsus 4, and now I saw the data speed jump from 3G to H, and it feels a lot faster than before. I guess H means something faster than 3G ? What speed are supported on speakout other than 3G ?
Feb 14, 2002
215 posts
45 upvotes
I stumbled on this post today:
Port configuration for GTalk

The last comment says:
Comment 12 by mrplow…@gmail.com, Dec 7, 2012
Temporary solution:
Use the Xabber app from the play store, setup your gtalk account, then go to settings and edit your account and change port from 5222 to 443, uncheck SASL authentication, change TLS/SSL to legacy SSL. Bingo boingo gtalk working behind a firewall.
It would be very nice if this fix was implemented in the official client.
I just tested it on my phone with AutoProxy and I was able to log into my gmail.com and google apps accounts. Exchanging IMs worked fine after changing the settings. Happy workaround.
Aug 9, 2007
423 posts
140 upvotes
bofh wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 4:33 pm
I stumbled on this post today:
Port configuration for GTalk

The last comment says:

I just tested it on my phone with AutoProxy and I was able to log into my gmail.com and google apps accounts. Exchanging IMs worked fine after changing the settings. Happy workaround.
Nice find. Does it only work with Xabber or does it change the system configuration so you get the regular Gmail and Gtalk apps to push email and IM?
Thanks.
Mar 1, 2012
134 posts
18 upvotes
Niagara
sfrancis wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 12:48 pm
Just setup the speakout on Nexsus 4, and now I saw the data speed jump from 3G to H, and it feels a lot faster than before. I guess H means something faster than 3G ? What speed are supported on speakout other than 3G ?
"H" probably represents HSPA+ (i'm guessing). You might see lower ping times on a speedtest.
Feb 14, 2002
215 posts
45 upvotes
tsuda wrote:
Jan 9th, 2013 5:26 pm
Nice find. Does it only work with Xabber or does it change the system configuration so you get the regular Gmail and Gtalk apps to push email and IM?
Thanks.
You need to use Xabber for your IM. It does not change anything for GTalk and does absolutely nothing for push e-mail. It's for those who want to send out IM (and leave it open for the response) on data.
× < >