Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2009
6135 posts
1981 upvotes
Scarborough
Shoppaholic wrote: Anyone have problems with whatsapp? Since last week I have been having issues with long message delays and notification seems to work sporadically.. contacted whatsapp support still waiting for a reply
Whatsapp working fine here
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20776 posts
6618 upvotes
London
I didn't bother getting my account reset to fix the throttling issue.

I noticed that the throttling has stopped and the download speed is back to normal Speakout or Rogers must have fixed something
Aug 8, 2007
12 posts
2 upvotes
Burlington
I didn't call speakout to reset my account either. Just switching off the phone overnight (actually I didn't plug in the charger properly and the battery died) and rebooting made the internet speed go back to normal (about 3 Mbps). This happened two days ago. Honestly I dunno whether the rebooting did the trick or SO corrected download speed.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I neither rebooted nor called SO for a reset but my download speed as measured this morning is almost 6Mb/s compared to the 240kB/s it was after they started throttling.

I hope this is an indication that they're busy working on the full data offering. I can't wait to get rid of proxy/VPN and messing around with configs.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2009
1141 posts
388 upvotes
Kitchener
Hi!

Beginning yesterday, Sunday, my gmail app can't send/get any messages on SO... While o wi-fi it's fine...

I use proxydroid but gmail always had bypass. I tried with and without proxy - same thing...

Is it only me?

UPDATE. Got it working. Had to delete gmail app from bypass list in proxydroid, their Global Proxy mode doesn't work properly...
May 24, 2009
130 posts
14 upvotes
Markham
l69norm wrote: no mms support on speakout
i know that. but i have it for some strange reason. try it.
Feb 14, 2002
295 posts
146 upvotes
Petro-Canada is discontinuing the unlimited mobile web browsing feature:

I logged into My Account today and decided to look at the Monthly Plans and found this a the bottom of the page:

[QUOTE]
Effective summer 2013, the unlimited mobile web browsing plan will be discontinued. We are working on new plans so keep checking back! More information will be available at the beginning of September.
[/QUOTE]

Who knows that this will mean for the Anytime plan because there is no other indication on the website.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
Since I only used umb when I was on a trip outside of the gta wind/mobi won't work for me, whats another unlimited data option once speakout jumps over to full data?
Apr 6, 2008
241 posts
62 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bofh wrote: Petro-Canada is discontinuing the unlimited mobile web browsing feature:

I logged into My Account today and decided to look at the Monthly Plans and found this a the bottom of the page:

Who knows that this will mean for the Anytime plan because there is no other indication on the website.
I have 3 accounts with Petro Canada and there is no message on neither one....
Aug 9, 2007
683 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
rianca wrote: I have 3 accounts with Petro Canada and there is no message on neither one....
You have to press the Switch to Monthly Plan button. Don't worry you get a confirmation page before actually switching.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
20776 posts
6618 upvotes
London
adidas5on5 wrote: i know that. but i have it for some strange reason. try it.
no joy for me using the published rogers mms settings, but enjoy
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
eeeaddict wrote: Since I only used umb when I was on a trip outside of the gta wind/mobi won't work for me, whats another unlimited data option once speakout jumps over to full data?
Nothing that easily/cheaply accessible. Bell/PC Mobile UMB SIMs can be bought off others as long as you don't mind paying $$$$.
Temp. Banned
Sep 18, 2012
1355 posts
239 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
icemasta wrote: Nothing that easily/cheaply accessible. Bell/PC Mobile UMB SIMs can be bought off others as long as you don't mind paying $$$$.
I've only seen those for at least $400 plus they could be discontinued any time so not worth it :/
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
3818 posts
112 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Hey guys, new to this HUGE thread, had a couple questions. Sorry if they've been answered, but its a LOT of reading lol.

1. What is the current preferred proxy program? (autoproxy, proxydroid, etc)?
2. Is there a consensus for the best APN settings?
3. Does wifi hotspot teathering work with this?

TIA :)
Feb 8, 2013
42 posts
5 upvotes
ShaTR wrote: Hey guys, new to this HUGE thread, had a couple questions. Sorry if they've been answered, but its a LOT of reading lol.

1. What is the current preferred proxy program? (autoproxy, proxydroid, etc)?
2. Is there a consensus for the best APN settings?
3. Does wifi hotspot teathering work with this?

TIA :)
Hey there, welcome to this thread!

1. The current preferred proxy program for Android, for me, would be ProxyDroid. Try both and see which one you'd prefer.
2. All the APN settings are the same, AFAIK you can use any Rogers APN as long as you put in the proxy server (10.128.1.69), proxy username (wap), and proxy password (wapuser1).
3. Yes, WiFi hotspot tethering does work, but the device that is accessing the WiFi hotspot must have the proxy set up for the connection.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ShaTR wrote: Hey guys, new to this HUGE thread, had a couple questions. Sorry if they've been answered, but its a LOT of reading lol.
One very important point to consider before you get into this too deeply: SpeakOut has announced that they're discontinuing their $10/month UMB service. They plan to replace it with a true data service "later this year" but have not yet announced the pricing and other terms of that service. For the time being UMB works as described in this thread and it still costs $10/month. You should think carefully about [re]charging a SO SIM with more than the minimum $25 in case their new data offering proves to be unattractive.
veni, vidi, Visa

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)