Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Mar 20, 2006
285 posts
23 upvotes
la11292 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 11:30 pm
@lucky13bbq, care to share which VPS on the site you used? I just want to be sure and not run into complications
No.
Jan 1, 2007
73 posts
13 upvotes
la11292 wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 11:30 pm
@lucky13bbq, care to share which VPS on the site you used? I just want to be sure and not run into complications
I'd rather not say because I don't want everyone choosing the same ones that I did. I hope you understand. If you want to be sure, check that VPS allows VPN servers or TUN/TAP. Also, check the VPS offers the OS you want.

For what it's worth, I can share the following: I actually chose two VPSes on the site (given the low annual price, I'm still paying way less than droidvpn charges one user for unlimited access), so now I always have a backup vpn server and, in fact, one we use primarily for voip with fongo (has lower latency and a modest monthly cap) and the other primarily for netflix US and hulu (has higher latency and a much higher monthly cap).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6971 posts
653 upvotes
LOL.

As a VPN hub, it is quite efficient and no way more user(even on the same physical machine) would slow down your link.

I have two VPS one from frantech when they were on sale(19/year) another i used for years, quickweb. Though most will do. To select VPS, it is the stability of the company behind it that counts.

you can try http://www.lowendbox.com/ which shows promotions from time to time, remember check reputation.

EDIT:
for openvpn(which the only VPN that works), make sure the VM of the VPS has tun/tap device. so ask the provider

If you are really on the cheap with reasonable home broadband speed, you can run it free on your own windows PC, assuming your ISP is not a* enough to block port 80/443 incoming
Jan 1, 2007
73 posts
13 upvotes
chimp wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 3:56 pm
LOL

As a VPN hub, it is quite efficient and no way more user(even on the same physical machine) would slow down your link.
I disagree, seeing as how my family and I are using it for fongo as well as netflix and hulu, and I expect others to do the same. How much does hulu or netflix consume? My rough estimate is at least 1 gigabyte/hour and less than 2gigabytes/hour so I'd say around 3-4 megabits/sec, on a 100 megabit link that means at most 25 simultaneous users (including me, my wife, my dad, my uncle, my sister and my friend, thusfar) and less if we expect the latency to be low enough for a fongo-capable conversation. Plus, if I account for the fact that we are already sharing the server's computational and network resources with an unknown number of other users, I'd like to avoid biasing rfd readers.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6971 posts
653 upvotes
lucky13bbq wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 4:18 pm
I disagree, seeing as how my family and I are using it for fongo as well as netflix and hulu, and I expect others to do the same. How much does hulu or netflix consume? My rough estimate is at least 1 gigabyte/hour and less than 2gigabytes/hour so I'd say around 3-4 megabits/sec, on a 100 megabit link that means at most 25 simultaneous users (including me, my wife, my dad, my uncle, my sister and my friend, thusfar) and less if we expect the latency to be low enough for a fongo-capable conversation. Plus, if I account for the fact that we are already sharing the server's computational and network resources with an unknown number of other users, I'd like to avoid biasing rfd readers.
How many SO link you get ? One for each person ? You would hit Roger's limit LONG BEFORE you hit the VPS limit. For a good VPS, they are supposed to be only 1 or at most 2 hop away from the really big pipe.

But believe what you like to believe.
Jan 1, 2007
73 posts
13 upvotes
chimp wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 6:15 pm
How many SO link you get ? One for each person ? You would hit Roger's limit LONG BEFORE you hit the VPS limit. For a good VPS, they are supposed to be only 1 or at most 2 hop away from the really big pipe.

But believe what you like to believe.
I'm using the same VPS and VPN to access hulu and netflix from multiple residential internet connections (Teksavvy, Bell and Videotron) in addition to multiple 3g connections (Rogers). As I mentioned, the VPS limit is 100 Megabits/sec in theory and less in reality, so this limit isn't that far and this limit is independent of how many hops away the VPS is located from a really bit pipe. Again, the worst case scenario is that each of the 6 of us (and counting) are streaming netflix/hulu at the same time and at a rate of ~4 megabits/sec. I'll believe the numbers, thank you.

Starting to regret having posted the guide. Not a single thanks and instead I have to defend my decision...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6971 posts
653 upvotes
lucky13bbq wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 6:36 pm
I'm using the same VPS and VPN to access hulu and netflix from multiple residential internet connections (Teksavvy, Bell and Videotron) in addition to multiple 3g connections (Rogers). As I mentioned, the VPS limit is 100 Megabits/sec in theory and less in reality, so this limit isn't that far and this limit is independent of how many hops away the VPS is located from a really bit pipe. Again, the worst case scenario is that each of the 6 of us (and counting) are streaming netflix/hulu at the same time and at a rate of ~4 megabits/sec...
For this case, you better get a better VPS(get a Gbps one). You can stop people on this forum(as in 1 or 2) to share your VPS provider but how can you stop the world ;-)

Have to remember that cheap VPS tend to over sold, if you care about guranteed performance, get guranteed resource.
Jan 1, 2007
73 posts
13 upvotes
chimp wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 6:43 pm
For this case, you better get a better VPS(get a Gbps one). You can stop people on this forum(as in 1 or 2) to share your VPS provider but how can you stop the world ;-)

Have to remember that cheap VPS tend to over sold, if you care about guranteed performance, get guranteed resource.
Yes, a Gbps one would be nice (on this we can agree) but more expensive.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
6971 posts
653 upvotes
lucky13bbq wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 6:45 pm
Yes, a Gbps one would be nice (on this we can agree) but more expensive.
Well worth the scenario described though. Or at least get a dedicated machine so you get your own 100Mbps pipe.

As mentioned, the reason you don't want to share here is you worry people each into the shared 100Mbps pipe which unforunately is being shared by other users who may not have anything to do with RFD, probably some in china watching netflix or whatever.
Nov 12, 2012
6 posts
2 upvotes
Hey, I Just want to thank you for the nice openvpn write up. Took me few days to make it work but it was well worth it!
lucky13bbq wrote:
Jan 18th, 2013 2:42 pm
My dad told me he was having problems all week so he asked me for a droidvpn alternative: it took me all day yesterday, but I managed to piece together the openvpn server and client configs and ended up renting an unmanaged VPS to act as an openvpn server. Works great. No 100 meg/day limit and no root necessary for much less than droidvpn charges (especially as we're sharing it between me, the wife and my dad) and a decent latency of 45ms. I wrote up a rough howto guide outlining the steps I took. Hope the info is helpful:

https://www.interpause.com/index.php/Ho ... untu_12.04

I found the following site useful for finding a cheap VPS:

http://lowendstock.com/

Note: be sure to check if the VPS supports VPN or tun/tap
Jan 1, 2007
73 posts
13 upvotes
bebeoye wrote:
Jan 26th, 2013 10:59 pm
Hey, I Just want to thank you for the nice openvpn write up. Took me few days to make it work but it was well worth it!
Awesome and you're welcome =)
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4858 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
lucky13bbq wrote:
My dad told me he was having problems all week so he asked me for a droidvpn alternative: it took me all day yesterday, but I managed to piece together the openvpn server and client configs and ended up renting an unmanaged VPS to act as an openvpn server. Works great. No 100 meg/day limit and no root necessary for much less than droidvpn charges (especially as we're sharing it between me, the wife and my dad) and a decent latency of 45ms. I wrote up a rough howto guide outlining the steps I took. Hope the info is helpful:

Awesome, thank you!!! I have been meaning to give this a shot but I have been so busy with work and school that I haven't had a chance to get it done. Your guide should make it a walk in the park when I find the time to give this a go.

Edit:

I also do think Rogers is purposely blocking DroidVPN. If you ever use DroidVPN on Wifi, the speeds are perfect (well, decent enough for most mobile things). It is just when you are on your mobile connection that it goes to crap.
Aug 21, 2011
47 posts
1 upvote
POINTE-AUX-TREMBLES
Thank you for the guide ! Got my phone to connect to my virtual ubuntu server machine but cannot use the Internet...Will investigate that tomorrow. :)
lucky13bbq wrote:

Jan 1, 2007
73 posts
13 upvotes
thisismadness wrote:
Jan 27th, 2013 1:38 am
Thank you for the guide ! Got my phone to connect to my virtual ubuntu server machine but cannot use the Internet...Will investigate that tomorrow. :)
Check if it's a DNS issue by opening a terminal app (available on play store) and pinging an ip address such as google's DNS server 8.8.8.8. If it pings fine, then it's a DNS issue.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2003
2593 posts
10 upvotes
does anyone use private internet access with speakout data? i can't figure out how to get it to work, droidvpn works, very easy, one click.
× < >