Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Feb 14, 2002
295 posts
146 upvotes
NoseyBonk wrote: Ya, but I am looking at the Good2Go / Cityfone website.. they are also owned by Ztar,
I don't know where you are getting your information, but if you look here you can see that Ztar owns Petro, Speakout and Good2Go. Cityfone is another MVNO unrelated to Ztar. Their only relationship is through the mobile network being provided by Rogers.
Feb 14, 2002
295 posts
146 upvotes
rocurs wrote: Overage charges now up on good2go but it says 0.10¢ per MB. Does that mean ten cents or one tenth of a cent? Above that it says 25¢ per min for voice
Lol, that would be wishful thinking, but I believe it is ten cents. Look at this:
The MMS rate is 0.50¢ per message. Data overage will be charged at 0.10¢ per MB.
good2GO mobile standard long distance rate is 0.15¢ per minute (plus regular airtime rates) for long distance calls made within Canada. If you have an active plan with anytime minutes, Canada Wide Long Distance calls are free.
So MMS is 50 cents a message and long distance is 15 cents per minute, therefore data overage is 10 cents per MB.

Worse news can be found in the FAQ section:
What happens when I use all my data?

Once you have used all your data, your account will be charged 0.10 per MB until your plan or feature renews.

How can I check my data Usage?

You can check your data usage by dialing *777*4# and press send on your handset, your available data, plan expiration, account balance and account expiration will appear on your screen.
It's $10/100MB. One expensive data plan.
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
bofh wrote: I don't know where you are getting your information, but if you look here you can see that Ztar owns Petro, Speakout and Good2Go. Cityfone is another MVNO unrelated to Ztar. Their only relationship is through the mobile network being provided by Rogers.
oops my bad, Ztat only owns the 3 Petro/711 and Good2Go

Cityfone / Sears mobility are Rogers MVNO.. and there is another one.. I forget...

Anyway it does not matter as they ALL are showing the same rates... I just got a paper in the mail for another one... I think it was Sprint.. 1/2 off rate plans but only up to 6 months... scam... better off with CHATR.

Oh wait I think it was the Banks mobility.. RBC or Scotia...

*777*4# and press send... Someone please try this... even if you have UMB... I am curious if it is working on the other systems...
Jun 30, 2008
228 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
[B wrote:*777*4# and press send[/B]... Someone please try this... even if you have UMB... I am curious if it is working on the other systems...
working on speakout

verbatim:
"your monthly bundle has 0MB remaining and will expire on -. Your acct balance is xyz and expires on 123"
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
pepper3245 wrote: working on speakout

verbatim:
"your monthly bundle has 0MB remaining and will expire on -. Your acct balance is xyz and expires on 123"
Thanks... I am not on a monthly package and I guess you are also not on a package... well the writing is on the wall people, if you have not activated UMB on a SIM do so now and enjoy the last 2 months (hopefully 3 months....)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4311 posts
443 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
Looked at the Sears/Cityfone plans...their $40/mo plan seems much better than Good2Go's $45/mo plan and is comparable to the past Koodo/Virgin/Fido promotional plans (given that you sign a 2 year contract, of course).

2x200 mins = 400 mins (Canada-wide)
2x500 MB = 1 GB data; $0.01/MB extra
6pm evenings and weekends
CID/VM/etc

So with the 50% off for the first 6 months, the price per month over a 2 year term is ($20x6 + $40x18) / 24 = $35/mo, which isn't too bad considering the current plan prices (not including 911 fees, though). It's no $10/mo UMB deal, but IMO it's reasonably priced.

Strangely, there are two points of fine print that need some clarification...if I get a GTA number, can I go to, let's say, GVA, can I still make calls to anywhere in Canada without being charged long distance?
(2) Canada-Wide minutes include local and long distance calls to Canadian numbers, made within Canada. Additional Canada-Wide minutes are $0.35/ minute and include both the airtime and long distance charges....

(3) Long distance charges apply when outside your local calling area.
I know point (3) is referring to the free incoming calls of the $45 plan, but it's still a bit confusing.
Nov 27, 2006
786 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto
If anyone still needs to top up their Speakout phones for the last few months of UMB, I have a $50 voucher selling for $40. Message me if you're interested.

And a brand new MicroSIM card for $8.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2004
1093 posts
95 upvotes
Markham
alanbrenton wrote: Thanks for posting those images.

Is October the last month for UMB then?
I'm assuming yes because I do not see any UMB option any more :(
Not for any nation, not for any ideology, not for justice, not for honor, not for power, not for the future, not for love, not for peace, Only for revenge. -MGSVTPP
May 19, 2005
950 posts
569 upvotes
Kingston
Wow, how horrific...from UNLIMITED UMB to 100MB...so heavily boned its not funny...
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
gn22 wrote: Wow, how horrific...from UNLIMITED UMB to 100MB...so heavily boned its not funny...
We've got to thank Rogers for this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
I can't even see how many minutes are left from my last month's 300 minute pack, when I log into my account, all I see are the new plans, etc. I can't see the expiry date of my plan either. I don't use much data, and didn't get great use out of the former UMB (lots of apps didn't work, etc.) so do you guys know if this will now be REAL data though all the ports, etc., the same was as any other cell phone company? Will it be improved? Their plans are getting so high now, that the only advantage IMO is for those using the phone as an emergency phone, or, for those who rarely use data, or who won't use data. The texting went up from $10 to $15 recently, now they are changing everything up again.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50592 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
jory29 wrote: I can't even see how many minutes are left from my last month's 300 minute pack, when I log into my account, all I see are the new plans, etc. I can't see the expiry date of my plan either. I don't use much data, and didn't get great use out of the former UMB (lots of apps didn't work, etc.) so do you guys know if this will now be REAL data though all the ports, etc., the same was as any other cell phone company? Will it be improved? Their plans are getting so high now, that the only advantage IMO is for those using the phone as an emergency phone, or, for those who rarely use data, or who won't use data. The texting went up from $10 to $15 recently, now they are changing everything up again.
It should be real data.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
7408 posts
1557 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks... One would think it would be real data, for the price being paid! ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
I don't use a lot of data either but 100MB is just too limited. 500MB will be enough. Wonder what other options we may have.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21628 posts
17283 upvotes
Markham
Let the revolt being!!!!

Just looked at my data usage on my Nexus 4...with pretty limited usage, I'm at 33.31mb for Oct 1-7. Which means I would hit 100 mb at the third week.

Going to have to move my service now to Cityfone (perhaps...need to research) which seems to have "sharing" plans which I can live with [at equivalent to $12.50pp for 250mb].

500 MB of Data3 Share for Smartphones or BlackBerry®
Email, Internet, Social Networking, Instant Messaging, Download Apps and GPS
$25

I just disabled my mobile DATA....and added a Toggle to my Widgetzoid widget.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
gn22 wrote: Wow, how horrific...from UNLIMITED UMB to 100MB...so heavily boned its not funny...
As I've said before unlimited or even a GB for $10 was NEVER going to happen after the discontinuation of UMB.

The data rates are decent for the Value Plans thought but only 100MB option for non-value plan isn't great.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21628 posts
17283 upvotes
Markham
Is it possible to sell my SIM with the $$ on it whilst at the same time port my number to another provider or am I SOL and I have to use up my $$ before porting?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)