Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
now that we are in full data, does that mean we can take advantage of the LTE mode ? Sure 100MB can be burnt within seconds but at least it would be a possibility for those time I want faster return and also over time better coverage ?
May 29, 2012
416 posts
243 upvotes
playing with it right now, is there a way to stop all the Google spy services and other apps from using WAN data?

Stupid Android OS cannot be restricted, anyone know how to reduce data usage by Android OS?
Jimboski wrote: Your phone should have a built in data manager if it's fairly new, other than that you can use "My Data Manager".
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
It would be better if the data was pay as u go so u can use 5MB or something
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
bylo wrote: I just looked at CRTC's new Wireless Code that comes into effect in December to see what it says about notifications about overages. The way I read it notifications apply to post-paid services and a hard stop at $50. So it seems we have to police/control ourselves to prevent inadvertently draining our balances. I suppose that's no different than with cell calls, i.e. if you forget to hang up on a call you could lose your entire balance.

But I did find this interesting bonus, "Expiration of prepaid cards: A service provider must keep open the accounts of customers with prepaid cards for at least seven calendar days following the expiration of an activated card, at no charge, to give the customer more time to “top up” their account and retain their prepaid balance." So it seems SO's much-touted 365 day expirations just became 372 days ;)
Or we can start another lawsuit and follow the plaintiff's arguments.
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/b ... l-prepaid/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
Corleone187 wrote: It would be better if the data was pay as u go so u can use 5MB or something
why I hope there is a 5/100MB as my experience said even in the most minimum usage scenario, I would use about 50-70MB which net out to 5 bucks :-)
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
chimp wrote: I know WP(just got my Lumia 620+Amber update) and latest android have that built into the OS, not sure about iOS(as I am still on 5.1.1)
This is the reason why I returned my Lumia, there is no knows way to stop apps from using data in the backround in Windows Phone, even with the maps offline and turning off data, once you turn data on, you will get hit, also OPera mini is still a no-show, and IE is a data hog.

And I really liked the phone, oh well better deals can be had, NOw there is a coupon when you buy a Lumia to get a !0 top up card, so now instead of $100 you pay $90, and I wil only buy the Rogers version because of the extra backplate and it is cheaper to unlock on Ebay.

Also I see that the Lumia 620 was also $100 at FS and BB... More sales will come soon.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1800 posts
374 upvotes
Does this mean we have full data on a smart phone?

We can get push emails and instant notifications for apps without proxy? If so it is good for almost everyone but the people who abuse the system.
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
chimp wrote: why I hope there is a 5/100MB as my experience said even in the most minimum usage scenario, I would use about 50-70MB which net out to 5 bucks :-)
unfortunately they want you to spend $10 a month minimum... There used to be a trick in Rogers PayGo, what you did was take a Sim card that had $0 balance, add $10, then wait until the 911 fee got charged, then you would have less than $10, now proceed to add the 100MB data option online, since you have less than $10 it would tell you that you did not have enough so you would have 0MB in your data bucket, this every MB was charged at the overage rate, I tried to make it work with the 500MB overages but it never worked.. they are too smart to let that happen where you pay $0.05 or $0.01/MB without paying $25 he he he
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
syntex101 wrote: Does this mean we have full data on a smart phone?

We can get push emails and instant notifications for apps without proxy? If so it is good for almost everyone but the people who abuse the system.
Yes
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
NoseyBonk wrote:
Also I see that the Lumia 620 was also $100 at FS and BB... More sales will come soon.
For people who prefer android, the huawei y300 is a great option too. It goes on sale for $70 quite often.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
NoseyBonk wrote: This is the reason why I returned my Lumia, there is no knows way to stop apps from using data in the backround in Windows Phone, even with the maps offline and turning off data, once you turn data on, you will get hit, also OPera mini is still a no-show, and IE is a data hog.

And I really liked the phone, oh well better deals can be had, NOw there is a coupon when you buy a Lumia to get a !0 top up card, so now instead of $100 you pay $90, and I wil only buy the Rogers version because of the extra backplate and it is cheaper to unlock on Ebay.

the telus one I got does have the extra back plate(in white which is ugly) though I don't care much and unlock is 15 bucks which is fine for me as it is for my mom anyway(and she would not be on data anyway).

But I would not use WP as all the apps are just so wrong, they are reasonably fast but the UI is stupid and waste many of my screen area for things that is non-essential. I would stick with iPhone. The Metro thing may be correct on a tablet or even laptop but just a no-no for a small phone.
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
syntex101 wrote: Does this mean we have full data on a smart phone?

How is it "GOOD" ? your logic makes no sense.

1) you chose Speakout because you wanted to spend less per year, but all the time every other prepaid carrier offered the $10 100MB data that you could have ported out to, so now that Speakout has $10/100MB data you WILL be spending more than $100 a year

In actuality, Speakout is the worst for prepaid unless you only use it for the 365 day expiration. All other carriers have better prepaid rates compared to speakout.

Rogers even has the 1 cent evening and weeks ends that beats speakout rates AND you can have data or pay per day data at the same rates, instead of $10 you can pay $1 for the day.

As well Rogers has the $85/ year Unlimited text messaging and 100 minutes or the unlimited 6pm evening and week-ends with 100 minutes...

so if you are spending money on Data per month you should leave SPeakout..

Speakout Pros:
1) 365 day expiration
2) no charge for incoming text messaging
3) They do not support Short codes (ie Text mesages from contest/email service) this might also make is a con)

Those are the only 3 pros, all other rates and rate plans are very poor.
Sep 11, 2008
602 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
NoseyBonk wrote: How is it "GOOD" ? your logic makes no sense.

1) you chose SPeakout because you wanted to spend less per year, but all the time every other prepaid arrier offered the $10 100MB data that you could have ported out to, so not that Speakout has $10/100MB data you WILL be spending more than $100 a year

In actuality, Speakout is the worst for prepaid unless you only use it for the 365 day expiration. All other carriers have better prepaid rates compared to speakout.

Roger even has the 1 cent evening and weeks ends that beats speakout rates AND you can have data or pay per day data at the same rates, instead of $!0 you can pay $1 for the day.

As well Rogers has the $85/ year Unlimited text messaging and 100 minutes or the unlimited 6pm evening and week-ends with 100 minutes...

so if you are spending money on Data per month you should leave SPeakout..

Speakout Pros:
1) 365 day expiration
2) no charge for incoming text messaging
3) They do not support Short codes (ie Text mesages from contest/email service) this might also make is a con)

Those are the only 3 pros, all other rates and rate plans are very poor.
You forgot the Biggest Pro -- No More Dealing With Rogers :)
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
NoseyBonk wrote: all other rates and rate plans are very poor.
Is there another provider with a $50 monthly plan that includes 200 minutes and 1GB data?
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
chimp wrote: the telus one I got does have the extra back plate(in white which is ugly) though I don't care much and unlock is 15 bucks which is fine for me as it is for my mom anyway(and she would not be on data anyway).

But I would not use WP as all the apps are just so wrong, they are reasonably fast but the UI is stupid and waste many of my screen area for things that is non-essential. I would stick with iPhone. The Metro thing may be correct on a tablet or even laptop but just a no-no for a small phone.
Agreed, The Phone hardware was good but the UI was also poor, especially missing the Rotation lock... even after the last week update there is no orientation lock. Glad I returned it, now that I have to watch my data I need a Rooted phone, at least with iPhone you can block apps from running inthe backround AND disable Safari as I used to do when on rogers prepaid, Also if you disable Email images that goes a looooong way.

I will be setting up my Phone so that I do not have to spend too much.

I think I will be going back to Rogers Paygo, This way I have the choice

A) $10/100 MB per month

or

B) No data and I buy $1 10MB 24 hour data packs whenever I need it...
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
soccerboy wrote: Is there another provider with a $50 monthly plan that includes 200 minutes and 1GB data?
Heck, at $50 I would just go with one of the others like Wind or Public mobile that gives you unlimited talk, and unlimited data (tethering too!)

I just hooked someone up with a sick deal, Chatr still exists, you can get 8 months unlimited talking/text for $10/month if you go autopay... YES I said $10 per month
And you can add data as well.. even I was surprised when they told me for 8 months it would be %50 off the rate plan... And this is on the entire Rogers network!

Anyway I just wanted to drop that little hint of where I will be going next... if I have no other choice.
Dec 29, 2010
123 posts
136 upvotes
Vancouver
So what do you guys recommend for someone living in the Vancouver area who needs around 500MB-1GB of data a month (very little text or phone but unlimited text would be a plus) now that UMB is gone?
Something in the $10-20 a month range would be nice and preferably no contracts as they already have a phone.
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
Deal4US wrote: You forgot the Biggest Pro -- No More Dealing With Rogers :)
Yea but we are using the network... I have to say that i cannot remember ever havin ga problem with Rogers, other than not getting my Bonus top up promo credit and not getting my Phone repaired under warranty.. Also the glaring errors onthe web site and not being able to use self serve online after 1AM until the next morning...

WOW!.
Apr 28, 2013
503 posts
122 upvotes
Arviat
mobad wrote: So what do you guys recommend for someone living in the Vancouver area who needs around 500MB-1GB of data a month (very little text or phone but unlimited text would be a plus) now that UMB is gone?
Something in the $10-20 a month range would be nice and preferably no contracts as they already have a phone.
I know that Bell has the tablet data plan at $20/ month for 1GB and it cuts off.. I dont know what pay per use text is... but the voice is something crazy like $1/Minute...

I think I am going to make a table that compares all the rates so that everyone can refer to it.. need 24 hours to make it... I am going to include;

Telus
Bell
Virgin
Speakout
PetroCanada
Fido
Rogers
Public Mobile
Wind
Mobilicity
Koodo Prepaid

ONLY PREPAID... if it requires a credit check or bills it does not count., so the Tablet plans are not included as they do require a credit card.
I am not Pro-any carrier, they are all scum, I just want the best and cheapest deal.