Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Jun 11, 2011
449 posts
137 upvotes
Sorry guys im new to android and i have no clue what this is. Can somone Explain it to me breifly?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2100 posts
198 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
blueraiin wrote:
Jun 26th, 2011 4:44 pm
2 questions:

First, cross posted from the other thread:

Did anyone buy the SO promo phone for $20 (with min $50 activation card) http://www.speakout7eleven.ca/promot...-off-any-phone instead of buying a sim card for $25? Benefits I see are it's $5 cheaper than buying a sim straight out, as long as you were planning to buy $50 worth of credit (which has a year expiry anyways), plus you get a phone and the sim right away.

Am I missing any downsides here?
That's how i got my original speakout phone way back over a year ago. It was buy a $100 activation and get the cheapest phone free. I was using that phone until i bought the optimus one last week. There's not downside. Also it gives you a backup phone. if for some reason your optimus dies, you can stick the sim card in that cheap phone and at least have a working cellphone while you fix the good one.
blueraiin wrote:
Jun 26th, 2011 4:44 pm
Second question:
In order to get ASProxy to work, the phone must be rooted, correct? Is this still the best method to unlock the LG Optimus One from Koodo? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1001713. If so, does anyone have a working link to the Telus firmware (V10G_00.kdz), the link in those instructions does not work. I searched V10G_00.kdz and found some files on 4shared and such, but they don't seem to work.

Thanks for the help!

I used gingerbreak. from the root instructions on androidforums.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-al ... 011-a.html

I just copied the gingerbreak apk to the phone and ran it. one click root. I have the koodo lg optimus one though. 2.2.1. lg-p500h-v10v
Apr 10, 2011
23 posts
2 upvotes
Wow this is amazing! I just purchased the UL browsing today and spent about an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't get anything working. Quick google search and this thread pops up! Thanks for the APN settings OP now I can browse yay!
Sep 13, 2007
166 posts
1 upvote
Kevinck wrote:
Jun 26th, 2011 9:59 pm
That's how i got my original speakout phone way back over a year ago. It was buy a $100 activation and get the cheapest phone free. I was using that phone until i bought the optimus one last week. There's not downside. Also it gives you a backup phone. if for some reason your optimus dies, you can stick the sim card in that cheap phone and at least have a working cellphone while you fix the good one.

I used gingerbreak. from the root instructions on androidforums.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-one-al ... 011-a.html

I just copied the gingerbreak apk to the phone and ran it. one click root. I have the koodo lg optimus one though. 2.2.1. lg-p500h-v10v

Thanks Kevin

I forgot to update this thread, I found the gingerbreak thread and it was very quick and simple. I'm going to buy a SO SIM soon, once my other plan is up at the end of this month. I wonder if they'll have new promotions for July - it's too bad I can't just buy a sim for $10 like some other providers

For those on SO, can anyone comment on the speed seeing as how it's using EDGE?
Jul 19, 2007
153 posts
14 upvotes
Saskatoon
I'm consistently getting 3g and ususally HSPA using speakout on this phone in SK. Tethered browsing on the laptop using SO is quicker than on my WAP at home. Drains the battery really quick though. I don't even know if the charger would keep up if it were hooked up by usb.
Dec 25, 2003
260 posts
63 upvotes
Thanks for this thread and your infos. I had tried ProxyDroid, ASproxy, and some other one without any luck. Auto Proxy worked immediately.

I bought the data plan pretty much only for Google Music Beta. It says it will only work with wifi, but I recall there is some app to trick other apps to connect over 3g.

Google Music lets u put upto 20,000 mp3 into the cloud and u can listen to it on any device or computer you login to. 256kbs stream
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6754 posts
754 upvotes
Thanks very much, Kevinck and others for this thread! :) I successfully one-click rooted the phone, and am able to run speakout data....

I can not believe I am listening to sky.fm radio app!! Love the 80's station, lol.

Facebook works!

Youtube works!!

IMBD works

Cineplex Odeon works.

I think my life is complete! :)

I am using autoproxy as well.

Thanks so much - I didn't want to change the rom on my phone. I am happy now that I will be able to install and run apps that require the phone to be rooted.

I had HUGE Issues with stupid windows 7 64 bit. UGH. Ended up using a Vista laptop to root the phone, and it worked much better.

Stupid question guys - I don't have to leave it on USB debugging anymore, right? It is off now, and all is working well. Thanks! :) Ah, but of course, I see Titanium Backup needs to have USB debugging mode turned on...
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
3351 posts
502 upvotes
jory29 wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 12:34 am
Thanks very much, Kevinck and others for this thread! :) I successfully one-click rooted the phone, and am able to run speakout data....

I can not believe I am listening to sky.fm radio app!! Love the 80's station, lol.

Facebook works!

Youtube works!!

IMBD works

Cineplex Odeon works.

I think my life is complete! :)

I am using autoproxy as well.

Thanks so much - I didn't want to change the rom on my phone. I am happy now that I will be able to install and run apps that require the phone to be rooted.

I had HUGE Issues with stupid windows 7 64 bit. UGH. Ended up using a Vista laptop to root the phone, and it worked much better.

Stupid question guys - I don't have to leave it on USB debugging anymore, right? It is off now, and all is working well. Thanks! :) Ah, but of course, I see Titanium Backup needs to have USB debugging mode turned on...

Do the photos and thumbnails display on Facebook?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2100 posts
198 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Totoriko wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 7:09 am
Do the photos and thumbnails display on Facebook?

I just tested it out. I do not seem to get photos or thumbnails using the facebook app. Works fine if you go to the webpage though.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4684 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if you can use the UMB nationally without incurring any extra charges like the data plans from the Big 3?
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
10854 posts
444 upvotes
I've been using UMB on my Incredible S for over a week now. It works great when there's reception; unfortunately the reception here at work really sucks. Everywhere else, data works well and works fast (HSPA speed). I'm using Autoproxy like most people here, and just about everything works.

I did notice that data/proxy was more reliable on the stock firmware than CyanogenMod 7. I've stuck with the stock firmware for that reason. Not sure about other custom ROMs though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6754 posts
754 upvotes
In my experience, same as Kevinck:Thumbnails for facebook users (profile pics) do show, but NOT photos they have recently posted as their status, etc.; easy fix... log into facebook via Opera mobile... set up your opera mobile for facebook to be on the 'start page' for easy one click access to facebook; Can def. see photos there. :)

Anyone have any good ideas on what to use $25 of Rogers air time (prepaid) up before we port our number?

Did I mention... if you sign up for the prepaid data, and if it doesn't work using OP's settings in initial posting (for web browsing/data connection) then you can phone speakout and just ask for them to update your data connection; there is something they will reset for you if you ask, and then 15 min, later after a reboot, you can try again. I had to do that, otherwise, it didn't work at all. I see a 3G connection when I am sitting idle, and then I see the "H" when I load up gmail. Not sure what that means. Speeds are reasonable, I feel. youtube vids take some time to start, but once they do, they are very smooth.

Are there any special 7-11 speakout promos going on? Is buying the air time in-store the only way to add air time right now? Eventually I will likely add the $100 when I know they are giving away the free phones.

Thanks, everyone. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 21, 2003
6754 posts
754 upvotes
icemasta wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 11:18 am
Does anyone know if you can use the UMB nationally without incurring any extra charges like the data plans from the Big 3?

Good question! :) I would like to know this, too. :)
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
4121 posts
348 upvotes
Thornhill / North Yo…
icemasta wrote:
Jul 8th, 2011 11:18 am

Within Canada where there's network coverage, you can use Speakout's UMB without expecting any extra charges.

(As far as I know, the big three don't slap on any extra charges for data usage if you go outside your local calling area.)
Nov 10, 2006
212 posts
15 upvotes
I used the tethering feature, making the Android a wifi hotspot and connect my laptop to it. The hotel I was at was charging $10 per 24hr.
Worked great for what I wanted to do.

Just needed to setup the proxy setting in my laptop browser to enable it.
× < >