Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12589 posts
2998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I suggest people who want real data to switch over to Koodo prepaid.

$15/month "base plan" which gives you unlimited texting
$35 upfront for 1GB of data that rolls over indefinitely as long as you keep renewing the base plan
$25 upfront for 500 minutes of Canada-wide calling (5c per minute - by far the cheapest prepaid voice service)

Basically your monthly payment is $15 (base plan) + $0.05/minute + whatever data you use

Compare this to Speakout's monthly cost: $10 (UMB) + $0.25/minute local + $0.50/minute long distance + $0.10/outgoing text + $1 (service charge)

Depending on your usage patterns, it could end up being cheaper than the old Speakout plan, plus you get real data instead of WAP. I've been using Koodo for a month now, and I have to say the experience with real data and unlimited texting is much better. $0.05/minute Canada-wide calling is also a huge improvement. I'm no longer hesitant to use my phone as a phone, as strange as that sounds.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50592 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
board123 wrote: I suggest people who want real data to switch over to Koodo prepaid.

$35 upfront for 1GB of data that rolls over indefinitely as long as you keep renewing the base plan
$25 upfront for 500 minutes of Canada-wide calling (5c per minute - by far the cheapest prepaid voice service)

Basically your monthly payment is $15 (base plan) + $0.05/minute + whatever data you use

Compare this to Speakout's monthly cost: $10 (UMB) + $0.25/minute local + $0.50/minute long distance + $0.10/outgoing text + $1 (service charge)

Depending on your usage patterns, it could end up being cheaper than the old Speakout plan, plus you get real data instead of WAP.
Isn't the new Speakout data real?
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12589 posts
2998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jimboski wrote: Isn't the new Speakout data real?
Yes but it's $10 for 100MB. Koodo is $35 for 1GB. Koodo's data is also a one time purchase that never expires as long as you keep renewing the base plan.

In my first month I used 130MB on Koodo. That works out to $4.50/month for data if I continue at this rate for the whole 1GB.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
board123 wrote: Yes but it's $10 for 100MB. Koodo is $35 for 1GB. Koodo's data is also a one time purchase that never expires as long as you keep renewing the base plan.

In my first month I used 130MB on Koodo. That works out to $4.50/month for data if I continue at this rate for the whole 1GB.
But you pay 15/month even you don't use SMS. So in your case, it is 19.5/month every month. Not much difference than SO's 13+1.25(well 5 bucks difference).

And I never use my SMS as I always use google voice which I can check both on my phone and computer and oversea. same for GV equivalent of textme I believe.

So you recommendation doesn't work in this case.
Dec 19, 2011
259 posts
29 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
board123 wrote: Yes but it's $10 for 100MB. Koodo is $35 for 1GB. Koodo's data is also a one time purchase that never expires as long as you keep renewing the base plan.

Does the data keep rolling every month til it's used up or does it only roll over to the next month?
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
irate23 wrote: Does the data keep rolling every month til it's used up or does it only roll over to the next month?
it keeps rolling every month
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12589 posts
2998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chimp wrote: But you pay 15/month even you don't use SMS. So in your case, it is 19.5/month every month. Not much difference than SO's 13+1.25(well 5 bucks difference).

And I never use my SMS as I always use google voice which I can check both on my phone and computer and oversea. same for GV equivalent of textme I believe.

So you recommendation doesn't work in this case.
But as soon as you start using voice or text, Speakout's cost skyrockets.
Banned
Oct 28, 2006
8289 posts
1011 upvotes
Thornhill
board123 wrote: But as soon as you start using voice or text, Speakout's cost skyrockets.
then use other methods to text. Whatsapp, Viber, Textme, GV, etc.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12589 posts
2998 upvotes
Richmond Hill
soccerboy wrote: then use other methods to text. Whatsapp, Viber, Textme, GV, etc.
Or you can just use another service provider that allows you to use native voice and text without adding huge costs.

Also keep in mind that Speakout is only marginally cheaper if you stay within 100MB.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
board123 wrote: But as soon as you start using voice or text, Speakout's cost skyrockets.
As I said there is no point for me to use SMS on the phone because textme/gv has the advantage of using it anywhere including oversea(so long i have data/wifi). Sure they do not cover all countries but so far, I may have only 1 or 2 situation that I may want to use cell SMS.

As for voice, yes. If heavy talking is the intend, don't touch SO there are many other options for that. Speakout is really for 'Don't speakout'.

Yes the price difference is not that much but still that is like 30% more each month for my usage.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Consider someone who ports their existing number to Fongo and uses it for all voice calls. With SO the monthly rate is $11.25 based on 100MB data. With Koodo they'd spend $15 for a plan plus $3 for 100MB data or $18/month in total. In this case SO is $6.75/month cheaper. That $6.75 difference can buy up to 67MB additional data if required, i.e. up to 167MB/month and still be no more expensive than Koodo.

(And if SO continues with their 25% bonus offers on $100 top-ups then the difference will be even greater or the effective monthly data you can use and be no more expensive than Koodo will increase further.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
yup. the 15/month base price basically kill it off. Per unit pricing is meaningless to me, final bill is.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
6560 posts
10849 upvotes
Comox Valley , BC
2 points to consider - Koodo offers LTE data speeds and Speakout doesn't - for those people that use towards the upper limit of 100Mb of data - the increased speed may be worth it. Also Koodo is on the Telus network (Sasktel/Bell in Sask) which is a heck of alot better than Rogers in Sask (but I know that's true for most of Western Canada), another benefit for some. As you can tell. I'm leaning towards koodo.

edit: I guess I'm wrong - Koodo doesn't offer LTE on prepaid plans, according to below posts.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7270 posts
719 upvotes
pathfinder35 wrote: 2 points to consider - Koodo offers LTE data speeds and Speakout doesn't - for those people that use towards the upper limit of 100Mb of data - the increased speed may be worth it. Also Koodo is on the Telus network (Sasktel/Bell in Sask) which is a heck of alot better than Rogers in Sask (but I know that's true for most of Western Canada), another benefit for some. As you can tell. I'm leaning towards koodo.
high speed, low flow cap ? doesn't sound right to me. one can burn it in 2 minutes :-)

just get the bell tablet plan, good price at various usage point, good coverage(and speed last i test) if data is the main thing
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1545 upvotes
Brampton
board123 wrote: I suggest people who want real data to switch over to Koodo prepaid.

Depending on your usage patterns, it could end up being cheaper than the old Speakout plan, plus you get real data instead of WAP. I've been using Koodo for a month now, and I have to say the experience with real data and unlimited texting is much better. $0.05/minute Canada-wide calling is also a huge improvement. I'm no longer hesitant to use my phone as a phone, as strange as that sounds.
Sounds interesting, still trying to process how it works :D Link?
But what if you actually use closer to 600-1GB, then this plan is not that good then correct?
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
Not really the thread but it is Speakout.. if I only get texting ($15/month), how much does it cost per minute if I call someone too?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 26, 2006
5614 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
dankup wrote: Not really the thread but it is Speakout.. if I only get texting ($15/month), how much does it cost per minute if I call someone too?
PPU rate which is $0.25/minute.
Apr 12, 2007
122 posts
7 upvotes
How's voip service through SO data plan?
I figured if the latency is not too bad and it works out to be 10cents/MB then outgoing calls call be redirected through voip and be fairly inexpensive.
My estimate around ~ 2.8cents/ minute.

Here's how i came to that conclusion:
if you use a service like voip.ms and install a g729 codec on your sip client, then its fairly efficient at transferring voice data.
according to this website:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/t ... 4ae2.shtml

a G729 codec call uses about 31.2 Kbps of bandwidth.
which translates to about 14mb per hour of call time.
factor in the 10cent/MB cost, that'll cost you about 2.34 cents/minute.
add the voip.ms call costs of their non-premium routing and it's another 0.5 cents/minute.
for a grand total of 2.83 cents/minute.

this is not bad at all.
can any one confirm how call quality is through data voip on SO?

EDIT: I realized there are actually two audio streams needed for a proper call with another person. The numbers above represent only one stream. So multiply everything by two :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)