Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7158 posts
695 upvotes
gnome47 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 2:21 am
About 6 months ago i bought a nokia c3 @ 7-11; (4:00AM, drunk and needed blow) it was cheap and i had no other options. Then i noticed the 10$ UMB, and started tethering my ipod, ipad laptop flawlessly without warning all the time, then one day i ran out of time and didnt refill for some time.. When i did i noticed i couldnt use opera mini or bluetooth to the ipod but the default built in browser worked. What the hell happened?
you let a nice thing slip away because you didn't make sure you have enough fund :-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7158 posts
695 upvotes
mparsons wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 9:56 am
openvpn will drain your battery way faster than a normal proxy. (i believe its because openvpn is a constant connection and the 3g radio is always on? could be wrong though)

Have not come across anything that will not work when openvpn is running
yup because of the reason you state. openvpn has its own 'keep alive'. And if you use the http proxy feature, it needs to re-negotiate frequently due to the connection being cut. UDP should be better.

I am just interested to know that the other poster said there are other open ports without proxy and what are they. It helps in both performance and battery but requires full control on the server side.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1009 posts
131 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Thanks entity and everyone else who has helped us out :)

I set up Astrill like you posted entity a few pages back and it seems to be working great. After I have used it for a few days I'll report back on how stable I find it. So far all my apps are working through Astrill...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
7592 posts
1424 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2013 11:48 pm
I just tried and it works...
ah ok thanks, the website was down I think for a few hours so it kept rejecting my login but i see that it works for me now too
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2012
1187 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
I was charged PST and GST for purchasing a $25 top up in-store. How come I was not charged tax when I first bought my sim card and voucher?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10182 posts
3124 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
You should have been charged HST on the SIM and voucher. Count your blessings.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 18, 2013
1 posts
darthwolf wrote:
Apr 15th, 2013 9:03 pm
I'm on Petro, using Galaxy Note i717

Rooted and just installed Proxydroid.

followed the settings found here: http://www.speakoutwireless.ca/speak/ph ... ne/page-3/

A. Root the Phone:
You will require “superuser” access. This link works for many Android models. When you are finished the access should automatically be on and working.
Detailed instructions are found here for various models:
http://www.droidforums.net/for…..ost2130907

B. Phone Configuration:
1. On your Android phone go to Settings > Wireless and Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names.
2. Select New APN (via Menu button) and insert settings and values as show below:
• Name: Speakout (PetroCan in my case)
• APN: goam.com
• Proxy: 10.128.1.69
• Port: 80
• Username: wapuser1
• Password: wap
• Server: (Leave it blank)
• MMSC: http://mms.gprs.rogers.com
• MMS Proxy: 10.128.1.69
• MMS Port: 80
• MCC: 302
• MNC: 720
• Authentication Type: None
• APN type: Internet + MMS
• Save the new APN profile (Menu button)
Important: Now select this profile for your connection by touching the radio button to turn it green.

C. Proxy Configuration
Now download ProxyDroid version 2.6.1 by Max Lv direct (FREE) from Android Market and install it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en
Once installed insert values as follows, leaving other fields blank. You need to udate these three fields prior to checking off the Proxy Switch box.
• Proxy Host: 10.128.1.69
• Proxy Port: 80
• Proxy Type: http
• Proxy Switch: Checked (green)

Whatsapp, utube (video streaming) and facebook uploads now working.

before proxydroid, I only had internet browsing, google play and mail working.
using SO plan for almost six months on Galaxy Note 2. Used Skype all the time succesfully. All of a sudden it stopped working....any ideas why?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2006
4160 posts
360 upvotes
Markham
A quick question: I have HTC desire now and will buy a note. I want to use same microsd, I have some pictures on the microsd(currently in HTC), can I just unmount from HTC and insert to Note and note will recognize the photos or I have to copy photos from HTC to laptop, insert microsd to Note and then copy photos from laptop to note microsd?

Thanks
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44232 posts
3265 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 9:19 pm
A quick question: I have HTC desire now and will buy a note. I want to use same microsd, I have some pictures on the microsd(currently in HTC), can I just unmount from HTC and insert to Note and note will recognize the photos or I have to copy photos from HTC to laptop, insert microsd to Note and then copy photos from laptop to note microsd?

Thanks
It should be able to auto detect but transferring it on your laptop isn't that much work so do that just in case!
Mar 20, 2009
268 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if there is any android email app that would work with a speakout autoproxy data connection that would be able to receive/send email from yahoo, gmail, and hotmail(outlook)?
I would not need push services - would like to sync it manually at odd times when I am away from wifi. Had tried Kaiten, but it would only work with wifi.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1592 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto
shikotee wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 9:56 pm
Does anyone know if there is any android email app that would work with a speakout autoproxy data connection that would be able to receive/send email from yahoo, gmail, and hotmail(outlook)?
I would not need push services - would like to sync it manually at odd times when I am away from wifi. Had tried Kaiten, but it would only work with wifi.
Gmail works just fine (no push though) using Autoproxy or Proxydroid.

Edit: Sorry just reread your post, are you looking for an e-mail app that you can use for 3 different e-mail providers?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2011
7158 posts
695 upvotes
shikotee wrote:
Apr 21st, 2013 9:56 pm
yahoo's app works over https. so is gmail if I recalled(I am using exchange mode before they drop it) and hotmail/outlook is of course exchange mode which works nicely with the proxy except push that can be iffy.

but i don't think there is one app that handles all three.