Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2011
1660 posts
724 upvotes
Does Petro Canada unlimited browsing work with any smartphones? (no speakout in Montreal) I'm planning to use it with a Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy Note 2 when it comes out.
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
sahilz wrote: Does anyone notice an issue with ICS and AutoProxy not able to play Youtube videos on Speakout?

Is it me, or a known issue?
You know, since you have ICS, when in the browser, "Request Desktop Site" for youtube.

You can still watch everything through their non-wap site.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Elektronauts wrote: Anyone purchased and activate sim recently on Petro Canada and able to connect on 3g?

I purchased sim and C3 yesterday and activated online. On the C3 I entered the settings on the first page into custom setup, and selected it. Was only able to connect on edge the occasional drop down to GPRS. I put the same sim into unlocked MT4G scanned and selected "petro canada", again only edge speeds. Finally I put the sim into an unlocked Huawei data stick did a scan and petro canada [2g] and petro canada [3g] was found. I tried connecting to 3g but was refused, only able to connect to 2g. Would recent sim activations on speakout also be limited to the 2g network?
I don't think those devices support 3G.
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
Elektronauts wrote: Anyone purchased and activate sim recently on Petro Canada and able to connect on 3g?

I purchased sim and C3 yesterday and activated online. On the C3 I entered the settings on the first page into custom setup, and selected it. Was only able to connect on edge the occasional drop down to GPRS. I put the same sim into unlocked MT4G scanned and selected "petro canada", again only edge speeds. Finally I put the sim into an unlocked Huawei data stick did a scan and petro canada [2g] and petro canada [3g] was found. I tried connecting to 3g but was refused, only able to connect to 2g. Would recent sim activations on speakout also be limited to the 2g network?
C3 is a 2G only phone, so it is normal to be only getting EDGE/GPRS. MT4G(Mytouch4G?) is a T-mobile device with AWS (1700mhz)3G only, it is normal not to pickup 3G from PetroCanada(Rogers), since they run 3G on 850mhz and 1900mhz.

If your huawei stick was from wind or mobilicity, again, 1700mhz. So you shouldn't be able to receive 3G.

Hope this helps.
Dec 1, 2002
180 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Jimboski wrote: I don't think those devices support 3G.

Actuall all three have 3g support:

C3: GSM:850/900/1800/1900
Mt4g: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 AWS:1700/2100
Huawei E1691: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 AWS: 1700/2100

I believe Rogers 3g is 850/1900.
Dec 1, 2002
180 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Jimboski wrote: Hmm maybe It's supported but Isn't programmed to be able to use It!?
Now I'm so confused. What cheap phones are people having success getting 3g with. Ultimately I'd like to get the Galaxy s3, but not if I can only get edge speeds.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Elektronauts wrote: Now I'm so confused. What cheap phones are people having success getting 3g with. Ultimately I'd like to get the Galaxy s3, but not if I can only get edge speeds.
You should be able to get 3G speeds, If anything go ask your friends to borrow their phone for like 5 minutes while you slip In your SIM card and see If you can get 3G speeds or not. (Any iPhone or mid to high end Android phone?)
Have you tried resetting the phone? At one point I got EDGE speeds on an iPhone 4S and I overreacted thinking I lost 3G speeds but really I just needed to turn off my phone for 15 minutes.

Another factor Is that your area might not support 3G speeds but I highly doubt that since It's Rogers' line.
Dec 1, 2002
180 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Jimboski wrote: You should be able to get 3G speeds, If anything go ask your friends to borrow their phone for like 5 minutes while you slip In your SIM card and see If you can get 3G speeds or not. (Any iPhone or mid to high end Android phone?)
Have you tried resetting the phone? At one point I got EDGE speeds on an iPhone 4S and I overreacted thinking I lost 3G speeds but really I just needed to turn off my phone for 15 minutes.

Another factor Is that your area might not support 3G speeds but I highly doubt that since It's Rogers' line.
I called CS and had them refresh the account, had battery out for about an hour and made no difference. I'll borrow someones phone at work tomorrow and see what happens. I just find it strange that when I did a scan with the data stick I was able to see petro-canada [2g] and petro-canada [3g] networks, two distinct services, I was only allowed to connect to the 2g.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
Elektronauts wrote: I called CS and had them refresh the account, had battery out for about an hour and made no difference. I'll borrow someones phone at work tomorrow and see what happens. I just find it strange that when I did a scan with the data stick I was able to see petro-canada [2g] and petro-canada [3g] networks, two distinct services, I was only allowed to connect to the 2g.
When you called them you didn't ask If you were supposed to get 2G or 3G speeds!?
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
Elektronauts wrote: Actuall all three have 3g support:

C3: GSM:850/900/1800/1900
Mt4g: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 AWS:1700/2100
Huawei E1691: GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 AWS: 1700/2100

I believe Rogers 3g is 850/1900.
Nokia C3 is not 3G. It is quadband "GSM", that is 2G ONLY. GSM is not 3G. This device will only get EDGE and/or GPRS.

You want "UMTS", "WCDMA", "HSDPA", or "HSPA" 850mhz and/or 1900mhz if you want it to work with Rogers when reading device specs.

Your other 2 devices (huawei and mt4g) only has 1700mhz (AWS) UMTS 3G. It wont pickup any of Rogers' 3G signals. It will only pickup 3G from Wind, Mobilicity, or Videotron in Canada.

Point being... your 3 devices will NEVER pickup Rogers 3G. Nothing related to sim card.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a Skype $3 a month for unlimited calling. I tried calling, sounded okay but then the connection died after 5 seconds. Is that normal?
Dec 1, 2002
180 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Jimboski wrote: When you called them you didn't ask If you were supposed to get 2G or 3G speeds!?
No I never mentioned 2g or 3g to her, just said data was slow and she said she'll refresh the account and to pull my battery for 15mins.
Dec 1, 2002
180 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
erichau wrote: Nokia C3 is not 3G. It is quadband "GSM", that is 2G ONLY. GSM is not 3G. This device will only get EDGE and/or GPRS.

You want "UMTS", "WCDMA", "HSDPA", or "HSPA" 850mhz and/or 1900mhz if you want it to work with Rogers when reading device specs.

Your other 2 devices (huawei and mt4g) only has 1700mhz (AWS) UMTS 3G. It wont pickup any of Rogers' 3G signals. It will only pickup 3G from Wind, Mobilicity, or Videotron in Canada.

Point being... your 3 devices will NEVER pickup Rogers 3G. Nothing related to sim card.
Ok thanks, going to find someone at work with late model roger's smart phone and plug in sim.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7479 posts
1467 upvotes
Ottawa
I have the same problem before, it disconnect often after a few seconds. But some one claimed they have been fine talking continuesly 20 or 30 minutes.
Sepharite wrote: I bought a Skype $3 a month for unlimited calling. I tried calling, sounded okay but then the connection died after 5 seconds. Is that normal?
Apr 21, 2008
490 posts
211 upvotes
Elektronauts wrote: Ok thanks, going to find someone at work with late model roger's smart phone and plug in sim.
K, report on how it goes :razz:

I'm using Speak-Out. @ Night, I peak at 5Mbps with 168ms ping. I say fairly decent!
Though I can see the tower from my window lol.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
Woah, DroidVPN enables Dell Voice. I haven't tested it completely because everyone's asleep, but I tried calling my own cell and it reached a connection.

Gtalk doesn't work though, unfortunately.

edit: HOLY CRAP. ALL APPS WORK.

I THINK I SHOULD KEEP THIS TO MYSELF.

I also tested Dell Voice just now and it works. Lags about a few seconds but it works, nonetheless. This is greatness. Gtalk also works, I'm going to try webcamming in a bit.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2004
1611 posts
116 upvotes
TSDH wrote: My bad, I was mistaken. There is a native HTTP proxy in ICS, but it only works with the browser on Wifi, AFAIK. Other apps wont work with it.

To find it, goto Wifi settings -> Select a Wifi access point -> Press the window button and select "Edit" -> Press "Show advanced options"

On the upside, rooting is not required to make it work.
Thanks. Looks like we have to root the phone. Fortunately it is pretty straightforward to do so. Will give it a try once received the SIM.
Dec 31, 2008
800 posts
174 upvotes
Scarborough
Sepharite wrote: Woah, DroidVPN enables Dell Voice. I haven't tested it completely because everyone's asleep, but I tried calling my own cell and it reached a connection.

Gtalk doesn't work though, unfortunately.

edit: HOLY CRAP. ALL APPS WORK.

I THINK I SHOULD KEEP THIS TO MYSELF.

I also tested Dell Voice just now and it works. Lags about a few seconds but it works, nonetheless. This is greatness. Gtalk also works, I'm going to try webcamming in a bit.
How is battery life after you enable Droid VPN?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)