Cell Phones

Speakout data and android... calling all users for tips/tricks.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 9:55 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
3565 posts
3189 upvotes
Bought Xperia Ray for $120 from FS locked to telus. I first installed ICS 4.0.4 using the Sony PC Companion. Had it unlocked for $20 with mobileincanada and am good to go using the usual speakout browser settings.

I am getting 3G speed and gmail is working without rooting and autoproxy/proxydroid. Google maps is also working.

I see no need for me to root or install proxy.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Would it be practical just to get the unlimited browsing and then use paid Skype with it so I don't have to pay for the voice and text?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50592 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
arclite wrote: Would it be practical just to get the unlimited browsing and then use paid Skype with it so I don't have to pay for the voice and text?
Unlimited Browsing doesn't work with Skype UNLESS you set up a Proxy.. DroidVPN offers 100MB DAILY limit that works with Skype but I don't know how clear It works and If It's even reliable. You can pay a fee to get an unlimited server off DroidVPN.

What I have going right now Is just Unlimited Browsing (UMB) with DroidVPN, I use It just for mainly Texting and light browsing when needed. As for using Skype/Dell Voice (Fongo) I don't know If It's reputable to make calls with It but I haven't tried at all.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Unlimited Browsing doesn't work with Skype UNLESS you set up a Proxy.. DroidVPN offers 100MB DAILY limit that works with Skype but I don't know how clear It works and If It's even reliable. You can pay a fee to get an unlimited server off DroidVPN.

What I have going right now Is just Unlimited Browsing (UMB) with DroidVPN, I use It just for mainly Texting and light browsing when needed. As for using Skype/Dell Voice (Fongo) I don't know If It's reputable to make calls with It but I haven't tried at all.
I didn't realize that there is a limit to the proxy/VPN. Probably not a good idea to go this route. At least the Wind $29 plan is comparable.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
arclite wrote: Would it be practical just to get the unlimited browsing and then use paid Skype with it so I don't have to pay for the voice and text?
I wouldn't (and don't.) For Skype to work with UMB you need a proxy or VPN service. ProxyDroid works most of the time but delays Skype traffic enough to result in echos, delays and other artifacts. The VPN services that I've tried either aren't reliable (DroidVPN) or don't work at all (a couple of others.)

In addition, Skype doesn't offer Canadian phone numbers for incoming calls. So you'd need to get a US number ($60/yr IIRC) and get people to call you on that.

Other VoIP offerings like Dell Voice and Google Voice with GrooveIP don't work at all with a proxy and don't work well with a VPN.

All of the above work well over WiFi. But then of course you need WiFi.

I don't text, so I don't know what your options are on that front. But if reliable voice is a deal breaker then the deal's already broken so text doesn't matter.

So while voice over UMB can be made to work most of the time, it's not reliable enough and not high quality enough to be viable in place of conventional cell voice.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50592 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
bylo wrote: I wouldn't (and don't.) For Skype to work with UMB you need a proxy or VPN service. ProxyDroid works most of the time but delays Skype traffic enough to result in echos, delays and other artifacts. The VPN services that I've tried either aren't reliable (DroidVPN) or don't work at all (a couple of others.)

In addition, Skype doesn't offer Canadian phone numbers for incoming calls. So you'd need to get a US number ($60/yr IIRC) and get people to call you on that.

Other VoIP offerings like Dell Voice and Google Voice with GrooveIP don't work at all with a proxy and don't work well with a VPN.

All of the above work well over WiFi. But then of course you need WiFi.

I don't text, so I don't know what your options are on that front. But if reliable voice is a deal breaker then the deal's already broken so text doesn't matter.

So while voice over UMB can be made to work most of the time, it's not reliable enough and not high quality enough to be viable in place of conventional cell voice.
Would you say Dell Voice Is sufficient enough to use like 1 or 2 calls a month?
Give me a score from 1-10 of how good It works.. 10 being the best of course LOL!
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
Jimboski wrote: Would you say Dell Voice Is sufficient enough to use like 1 or 2 calls a month?
Give me a score from 1-10 of how good It works.. 10 being the best of course LOL!
1-2 calls per month should be fine as that's my situation. I found that Vonage has better voice quality than Dell voice, the downside is you won't have a number.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28908 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
kwanyeung20 wrote: 1-2 calls per month should be fine as that's my situation.
It depends on who those calls are with and how important they are to you.

1. My mother is hard of hearing. Even on a perfectly clear line it's difficult to communicate. Throw in delays and echos and such, and it's totally impossible.

2. Then there are calls where you want to project a professional imagine. What message do you convey to the other party in discussing a job offer or negotiating a contract using a VoIP call? How about if you're calling to set up a first date with a hot chick (or guy)?

But yeah, if one geek just wants to chat with another geek, I suppose VoIP is the way to go ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7470 posts
1459 upvotes
Ottawa
Dell voice quality sucks even on WiFi, not to mention on 3g or even worse on UMB, skype call is pretty good in wifi, I don't know how good it is on SO UMB, last time I tried, I get disconnect every 5 seconds, but it seems lots of users are happy with skype calls on SO.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
3864 posts
1150 upvotes
Toronto
That's sad news. If it's relatively cheap, like $10 for 1GB and no proxy limitations, I'd be okay with that.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
2223 posts
628 upvotes
GTA
Sepharite wrote: That's sad news. If it's relatively cheap, like $10 for 1GB and no proxy limitations, I'd be okay with that.
probably 100MB $10 per month... not 1GB :( max is like 250MB IMO
May 25, 2009
417 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Anybody else having issues with umb and whatsapp? Messages aren't sending and I'm not able to get any msgs until I switch back to wifi. On an optimus one w/ ics and the same apn settings as the first post. It was working fine a couple of days ago. I should mention that browsing and trillian works fine while on data though weirdly enough
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50592 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
CroSsFiRe2009 wrote: Anybody else having issues with umb and whatsapp? Messages aren't sending and I'm not able to get any msgs until I switch back to wifi. On an optimus one w/ ics and the same apn settings as the first post. It was working fine a couple of days ago. I should mention that browsing and trillian works fine while on data though weirdly enough
What Proxy are you using? WhatsApp doesn't work normally right when only on Speakout UMB?
May 25, 2009
417 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
From what others have been saying, ICS doesn't need to configure another proxy and that's been my experience too with everything working before until now
Apr 30, 2007
979 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto
kwanyeung20 wrote: o no... dont do this to me... i dont want full data....
dammit. its likely that it'll be grandfathered tho... right?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)