42 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
1 GB is no where close to unlimited
2 GB is no where close to unlimited
5 GB is no where close to unlimited
10 GB is no where close to unlimited
100 GB is no where close to unlimited
1000 GB is no where close to unlimited
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 TB is no where close to unlimited

Seriously what did you expect? Every single company throttles and you expected unlimited for $10 a month? Please.
Sep 27, 2003
7448 posts
1176 upvotes
Newmarket
SuperCows wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 8:13 pm
1 GB is no where close to unlimited
2 GB is no where close to unlimited
5 GB is no where close to unlimited
10 GB is no where close to unlimited
100 GB is no where close to unlimited
1000 GB is no where close to unlimited
999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 TB is no where close to unlimited

Seriously what did you expect? Every single company throttles and you expected unlimited for $10 a month? Please.
He doesn't expect unlimited on a practical level -- he expects fair advertising instead of burying terms within a TOS. $10 for 2GB is fine, just advertise it that way.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2007
1151 posts
52 upvotes
11 pages for this crap?? OP there is nothing unlimited. Everything is covered by fair use policy. Get over it and read the fine print when you sign up for a service. They make it very clear the service should be used only for browsing..no streaming what so ever. You cannot hit 2GB just by browsing for one month. By the way they bill every 30 days even though there may be 31 days :D
[OP]
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 11th, 2012 8:25 pm
He doesn't expect unlimited on a practical level -- he expects fair advertising instead of burying terms within a TOS. $10 for 2GB is fine, just advertise it that way.
What WorldIRC said. +1

I mentioned this in another thread, but if SpeakOut believes that most users would consider 2Gb to be more or less 'unlimited', then it wouldn't have a problem mentioning the cap on its product description page - other network operators who advertise so-called 'unlimited' plans do. Alternately, it could just kill the silly 'Unlimited' branding altogether and advertise it as a 2Gb Mobile Browsing add-on for only $10. A lot of people would still sign up for it... although not as many, at least not right now with the holiday deals the new wireless carriers have going (Mobilicity/WIND have 5-6Gb for $10, 20Gb for $20 Data add-ons). The fact is that SpeakOut continues to hide it in the fine print because it knows not as many users would initially sign up if they were aware of the cap up front. A number of users on this thread and others have written they were unaware of the cap until AFTER their service was disconnected and they received those same two nasty text messages from SpeakOut - so the company is well aware of the problem. That, in a nutshell, is intentionally misleading advertising.
Jul 13, 2009
638 posts
57 upvotes
Good thing I found this thread.
lol. Actually browsed through all the pages.

I was gonna cancel with Fido. After reading this, I'll now have to bust out the past statements and spreadsheet and compare services.

Thanks!

~~

Half of you guys sound like politicians. Arguing over some technicalities instead of looking for a middle ground...all just to cover-up your egos.
I can understand if it's on more technical forums like HoFo, but the spirit of RFD is for getting the best value.
Cell plans - anything more than $10/gb is a ripoff.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
ChappyHappy wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 1:36 am
Good thing I found this thread.
lol. Actually browsed through all the pages.

I was gonna cancel with Fido. After reading this, I'll now have to bust out the past statements and spreadsheet and compare services.

Thanks!

~~

Half of you guys sound like politicians. Arguing over some technicalities instead of looking for a middle ground...all just to cover-up your egos.
I can understand if it's on more technical forums like HoFo, but the spirit of RFD is for getting the best value.
I agree with you, and you're welcome.

~~

Those guys who sound like lawyers/politicians are the ones I refer to as 'corporate trolls'. Increasingly, sadly, corporate execs and politicians deploy them in response to potentially bad PR instead of addressing the issue that led to the bad PR.
[OP]
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
How <strike>Straight Talk's</strike> SpeakOut's TOS Makes Most <strike>iPhone</strike> Smartphone Users Criminals
By Sascha Segan, PCMag January 17, 2013

You can pretty much substitute the two companies' names throughout the article; their policies are nearly identical, except Straight Talk has a soft cap, where speeds are first throttled and subscribers are given a heads up that they've exceeded the cap the company intentionally hid in the ToS. SpeakOut just disconnects users then sends them SMS after-the-fact advising them of the disconnection. You stay classy, SpeakOut. I wonder what Sascha would have to say about that, given that he opines of Straight Talk's somewhat more considerate approach:

"Straight Talk's refusal to be straight up about its policies make it a company you might not want to work with."

Commenting on the original article, poster Xuanlong wrote something rather poignant that likewise applies to SpeakOut:

"The service is basically designed to exploit lower income customers."
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14292 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 8:57 pm
Good luck with that, Have fun making the carriers change 3 year contracts to 2 years like In the US while you're at It.. :facepalm: .
Oh and back to the 2GB limit, You realize there was people who cancelled their ISP and used SO UMB as their internet right? That's totally fair for $10.
It's still browsing.
Apr 15, 2007
793 posts
138 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If they suspend my umb addon, is it ok to add it again AFTER the original timeframe the addon would have been in effect?
[OP]
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
leonheartx wrote:
Mar 9th, 2013 10:21 am
If they suspend my umb addon, is it ok to add it again AFTER the original timeframe the addon would have been in effect?
From the OP:

(647) 725-2570
SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO RENEW THIS FEATURE AND CONTINUE TO VIOLATE THE FAIR USAGE POLICY, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND ALL FUNDS WILL BE FORFEITED.
Nov 14

As mentioned in another thread, if you know that you're likely going to go over 2Gb/month, likely given that a smartphone can eat through 2Gb pretty easily (that's only 66Mb/day - about 30 full web pages or 5-10 youtube videos views), get something else. If you live in an area that has decent coverage for WIND, Mobilicity or PublicMobile, consider using their data services as they provide much more data in their so-called 'unlimited' packages (eg Mobilicity - 20Gb for $20).
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2003
1761 posts
137 upvotes
it is supposed to be illegal to lie in advertisements. I dont know what technicality cell phone companies use to get around this, but it works. they advertise unlimited when it is not unlimited.

PS: no person can use unlimited resources. but that is not the same thing as having no limit. we will all use finite resources of something with no limit. this should not be confusing. they should not be advertising something that is completely wrong.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1147 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, ON
htrab1 wrote:
Mar 9th, 2013 8:33 pm
From the OP:

(647) 725-2570
SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO RENEW THIS FEATURE AND CONTINUE TO VIOLATE THE FAIR USAGE POLICY, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED AND ALL FUNDS WILL BE FORFEITED.
Nov 14

As mentioned in another thread, if you know that you're likely going to go over 2Gb/month, likely given that a smartphone can eat through 2Gb pretty easily (that's only 66Mb/day - about 30 full web pages or 5-10 youtube videos views), get something else. If you live in an area that has decent coverage for WIND, Mobilicity or PublicMobile, consider using their data services as they provide much more data in their so-called 'unlimited' packages (eg Mobilicity - 20Gb for $20).
Well.. to complain and correct your 'unlimited' packages about mobilicity... Sure it says 20gb for $20 but that's for their premium limits, after 20GB you can still use your phone's data, they slow you down. The only part I don't like is the Get Unlimited Premium Data, should really be buy a Premium Data Chunk- since only a chunk of the month's limit is allocated as premium while the rest is on a reduced rate.
× < >