Cell Phones

SpeakOut mobile browsing NOT unlimited, not even close -'Fair usage' = 2Gb MAX

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2014 12:54 pm
Jr. Member
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
There were reports of aliens in Area 51 as well. At least that's a verifiable fact. Good point, Jimbo. Very relevant.

audit13, Thanks for finding it and posting it. There you have it. Verified: 2Gb is considered 'unlimited', cancellation is without prior notice, forfeit any funds you have remaining in the account. Hopefully people give some thought to this before jumping on the "Unlimited internet for only $10!!!" bandwagon. It's not, and if you purchase the typical $100 top-up, you could be out $90 without notice if you go over 2Gb thinking that it's unlimited. Cheers.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
htrab1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 9:45 pm
There were reports of aliens in Area 51 as well. At least that's a verifiable fact. Good point, Jimbo. Very relevant.
Yeah of course.
Are you done with your complaints? Annoying to see this thread keep popping up.

We get It already, You're to poor to afford a data plan. Expect to have unlimited bandwidth at Speakout UMB when It's been clearly known that there was a 2GB limit. Try using the search function next time okay?
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2003
2438 posts
56 upvotes
And also, it's in the TERMS OF SERVICE. Case closed. Stay within the 2 GB limit or go elsewhere.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
mlerner wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 9:51 pm
And also, it's in the TERMS OF SERVICE. Case closed. Stay within the 2 GB limit or go elsewhere.
He cannot go any where else other than here to make a rant, He's boycotting ALL the other carriers because they don't offer unlimited data plans. Have fun waiting that long till they do, We ain't ever beating the US In terms of pricing whether It be on phones plans or clothing/electronics. Surprise you don't realize that.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 9:47 pm
Yeah of course.
Are you done with your complaints? Annoying to see this thread keep popping up.

We get It already, You're to poor to afford a data plan. Expect to have unlimited bandwidth at Speakout UMB when It's been clearly known that there was a 2GB limit. Try using the search function next time okay?
Jimbo, read the OP. The SpeakOut CS rep I spoke with on November 14 did not even know, had to search to find it and was as surprised as I was that it was so low. Clearly known? Apparently SpeakOut is busy scrubbing it from their user forums, you know, so that it's clearly known. Again, nice job, Jimbo.

EDIT: 'Sponsored Poster'? Makes sense now...
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
htrab1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 9:54 pm
Jimbo, read the OP. The SpeakOut CS rep I spoke with on November 14 did not even know, had to search to find it and was as surprised as I was that it was so low. Clearly known? Apparently SpeakOut is busy scrubbing it from their user forums, you know, so that it's clearly known. Again, nice job, Jimbo.
Sorry, I'm just going to leave this here though. Use the search function next time, Please and thank you.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/speakout ... s-1053209/

Almost 2500 replies Isn't even for you right? This 2GB limit wasn't known at all here.. Too bad when they changed ports to only port 80 Is when everyone else found out which was like more than 6 months ago I would guess.
Member
User avatar
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
It's people like htrab1 who get noticed by companies such as SpeakOut.
One of these days they will cut the 2GB UMB and do as all the others do, offer 100MB for the same $10.
THEN let's see who has the last (bitter) laugh.... yes that'll be Jimbo here...

Shame some people severely abuse the system, THEN publicly talk about that, and THEN complain that the abuse cannot be taken further than 2GB!

Yes it's threads like these that make me mad, I'm with you 100%, Jimboski.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
Yes, Jimbo, about six months ago, when they changed the policy (without notifying customers who were subscribed to the service) as indicated in post #11:

"I forgot to mention it in the OP, but the CS who told me that that the fair usage policy indicated a 2Gb cap also said the policy had been modified in the summer (June/July 2012). If I had to guess, given the time between the policy change and the time they started to enforce it (at least in my case, September), I believe Rogers have already planned to phase out the UMB option, much like Bell did for PC Mobile. If I had to guess, I would say sometime early next year, after the Christmas/Boxing sales period has ended."

SophiaB, SpeakOut is already planning on changing/cancelling UMB. The change in policy during the summer was the first step, just like PC Mobile that you mentioned. But why complain? If 2Gb is more than anyone could ever reasonably use, virtually 'unlimited', then 100Mb should be just right, no? ;)
Member
User avatar
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
htrab1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:16 pm
SophiaB, SpeakOut is already planning on changing/cancelling UMB. The change in policy during the summer was the first step, just like PC Mobile that you mentioned. But why complain? If 2Gb is more than anyone could ever reasonably use, virtually 'unlimited', then 100Mb should be just right, no? ;)
Your point being.... ?
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
htrab1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:16 pm
Yes, Jimbo, about six months ago, when they changed the policy (without notifying customers who were subscribed to the service) as indicated in post #11:

"I forgot to mention it in the OP, but the CS who told me that that the fair usage policy indicated a 2Gb cap also said the policy had been modified in the summer (June/July 2012). If I had to guess, given the time between the policy change and the time they started to enforce it (at least in my case, September), I believe Rogers have already planned to phase out the UMB option, much like Bell did for PC Mobile. If I had to guess, I would say sometime early next year, after the Christmas/Boxing sales period has ended."

SophiaB, SpeakOut is already planning on changing/cancelling UMB. The change in policy during the summer was the first step, just like PC Mobile that you mentioned. But why complain? If 2Gb is more than anyone could ever reasonably use, virtually 'unlimited', then 100Mb should be just right, no? ;)
What Is that even supposed to imply?

You went from Speakout UMB Abuser/Lurker to ranter once they notified you of the change even though you knew the change 6 months ago? /yawn.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Dec 16, 2011
138 posts
20 upvotes
Point being that it's people who criticise reasonable questions, like how a company can market a very low bandwidth cap of 2Gb as 'unlimited', that actually give greedy corporations the cover they need to offer ever poorer service, and charge customers a premium for the privilege. It's like people who complain about their neighbour having better benefits than they do just because that neighbour happens to be a member of a union. They don't realise that they're really helping the corporations that want to increase their profits at the expense of all employees' pay and benefits. It never occurs to them that it would be in their best interest instead to fight to get the same benefits from their employer. It's almost as if the expectation of being or doing better has been wrung out of them...

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy paying $100 for your 1Gb of mobile broadband, because, you know, 2Gb is way too much for $10. You might want to look up how much it costs them to provide the service to you and how much of that is profit (A: practically nothing; almost all of it) when you're not busy criticising people who are actually trying to help you.

Cheers
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
43189 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
htrab1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:43 pm
Point being that it's people who criticise reasonable questions, like how a company can market a very low bandwidth cap of 2Gb as 'unlimited', that actually give greedy corporations the cover they need to offer ever poorer service, and charge customers a premium for the privilege. It's like people who complain about their neighbour having better benefits than they do just because that neighbour happens to be a member of a union. They don't realise that they're really helping the corporations that want to increase their profits at the expense of all employees' pay and benefits. It never occurs to them that it would be in their best interest instead to fight to get the same benefits from their employer. It's almost as if the expectation of being or doing better has been wrung out of them...

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy paying $100 for your 1Gb of mobile broadband, because, you know, 2Gb is way too much for $10. You might want to look up how much it costs them to provide the service to you and how much of that is profit (A: practically nothing; almost all of it) when you're not busy criticising people who are actually trying to help you.

Cheers
Were definitely going to pay that $100 for 1GB!
Member
User avatar
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
Look, I'm the first to complain about the outrageous Canadian telcom prices. They are the worst in the world. But you gotta stay reasonable. OTHER providers ALL charge MORE than $10 for 2gb. ALL of then. SpeakOut is the last one to give more, within limits, yet you come here trolling about it. But if that makes you happy, do continue and see what happens. It doesn't affect me one way or the other, I don't even have SpeakOut. I'll just bow out of this thread while I feel semi sane... I can't reason with it anyway.

Don't let the windmills bite you, Don Quixote!
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
htrab1 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2012 10:16 pm
Yes, Jimbo, about six months ago, when they changed the policy (without notifying customers who were subscribed to the service) as indicated in post #11:

"
I dont even subscribe to speakout anymore but still get an email every once and a while with updated policy. Just because you ignore your email doesn't mean they didnt notify.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
3102 posts
346 upvotes
2GB is very reasonable for $10 a month. They would have to shut down the feature for sure if everyone decides to do 10+GB/month, which I hope never happens. Why ruin a good thing?
signature closed for renovation
× < >

Top