• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2019 12:29 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes

Speakout Now Sucks. Recommendations?

My two teenagers have Speakout on their iphone 5s. Sometimes the texts get sent 30 minutes late; sometimes they only send on wifi; sometimes they don't send at all. At the moment, they only send/receive with wifi, otherwise they get an imessage error. Speakout support claims that they are being screwed over because they don't sell iphones, so Apple is holding out on carrier software (I don't get it), so my best option is to buy a data plan to ensure sms texting. I bought a $10 plan and same issue. I swapped sims with my SE and Koodo: both phones work fine. SE texts with Speakout without wifi, and 5s with Koodo.

I have 21 days (from 365) left in the Speakout plan with $40. I will eat the $40 to get proper texting. Public Mobile is $10 a month, but outgoing texts capped at 50, which may be tight.
Koodo would be unlimited texting for $15, plus a $10 talk booster (which carries over each month).

It would be easier to stick with the Telus family for billing, since I'm with Koodo and wife Telus, but are there other options?
19 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10672 posts
9787 upvotes
You should disable iMessage on their iPhones independence of which provider you are going to use . iMessage uses data(wifi or mobile data). Cellphone text messages uses the voice channel to send text. They are two different protocols.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes
embguy wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:08 pm
You should disable iMessage on their iPhones independence of which provider you are going to use . iMessage uses data(wifi or mobile data). Cellphone text messages uses the voice channel to send text. They are two different protocols.
If I disable iMessage then when I attempt to send a text it says "iMessage must be enabled." This happens whether on wifi or not. Similarly, if I disable wifi I am told "iMessage must be enabled."
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10672 posts
9787 upvotes
Philbert wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:39 pm
If I disable iMessage then when I attempt to send a text it says "iMessage must be enabled." This happens whether on wifi or not. Similarly, if I disable wifi I am told "iMessage must be enabled."
I am not an iPhone user. I was told to disable iMessage to send text message with data service.
People may chime in to give you a hand to disable the iMessage
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
May 8, 2001
542 posts
273 upvotes
If it's blue it is being sent as iMessage (Internet required). If it is green it is sent as text message. This has nothing to do with SpeakOut or carrier. Since the recipient is using iMessage, iOS will try to send it via iMessage unless you tell it to send as text to that recipient. Make sure "Send as SMS" is enabled in message settings (Settings - Message). In the message you can also touch and hold the message bubble and select send as text message when it fails.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes
MikeNet wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 2:57 am
If it's blue it is being sent as iMessage (Internet required). If it is green it is sent as text message. This has nothing to do with SpeakOut or carrier. Since the recipient is using iMessage, iOS will try to send it via iMessage unless you tell it to send as text to that recipient. Make sure "Send as SMS" is enabled in message settings (Settings - Message). In the message you can also touch and hold the message bubble and select send as text message when it fails.
There is no opportunity to send as sms, even though it is enabled. The iMessage dialogue box pops up when attempting to send. It does not become an unsent text with a red exclamation that can be resent as sms.

You cannot donate Speakout $$. I tried when I switched to Koodo with my new phone.

What makes me think it is a Speakout issues is that my other son’s 5s with same plan sporadically has same problem, which disappears if I put in my Koodo sim.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe reset network settings?

My niece is on speak out with an iPhone se and hasn't encountered this issue yet.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:48 am
Maybe reset network settings?
Tried that. Only thing would be to reset entire phone. But with just 20 days on account, and not being anxious to spend $25 to top it up for another year, I think I will just switch. The last resort is to completely disable iMessage, which I believe I can do online via apple support.

At the moment, leaning toward the $15 Koodo prepaid text plan with the $10 100 minutes calling booster.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4273 posts
1904 upvotes
Toronto
If you are considering buying data for your kids with speakout, your problem has nothing to do with speakout.

Fix your home internet!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 11:11 am
If you are considering buying data for your kids with speakout, your problem has nothing to do with speakout.

Fix your home internet!
I don't know what you mean "fix your home internet." Internet works fine. My kids cannot text when they are not on wifi, like if they are out on their bikes. This is the issue. I only bought a $10 data plan for a month because the Speakout rep said this would resolve Speakout's acknowledged iMessage issues (he was pretty blunt that it was Speakout's failing). Data did not resolve the issue (and I'm not sure why it would anyway, but it was worth a shot and I needed to use up the $$ before the plan expires anyway).
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
Philbert wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:47 am
Tried that. Only thing would be to reset entire phone. But with just 20 days on account, and not being anxious to spend $25 to top it up for another year, I think I will just switch. The last resort is to completely disable iMessage, which I believe I can do online via apple support.

At the moment, leaning toward the $15 Koodo prepaid text plan with the $10 100 minutes calling booster.
Never heard of anyone using Apple to disable iMessage on a phone. I have an iPhone 6s and there is an option in settings to disable iMessage.

I think something is messed up in the iOS settings and a factory reset is required.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes
audit13 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 3:35 pm
Never heard of anyone using Apple to disable iMessage on a phone. I have an iPhone 6s and there is an option in settings to disable iMessage.

I think something is messed up in the iOS settings and a factory reset is required.
disable iMessage...

Yes, I think a reset is likely the best way, but what a pain. Rather just switch providers, as Speakout is no longer a decent service, despite the low cost.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14212 posts
3557 upvotes
London
I thought iMessage registration requires hidden sms short codes to be sent/ received from apple.

SMS short codes are not supported on Speakout or 7-11 ?

I thought the only work arounds require a jail broken iphone
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2009
1042 posts
215 upvotes
I’ve spoken Apple and Speakout numerous times. Apart from a complete reset and restore no one has a solution that works. I can send messages to non-iPhones no problem. Ican put my Koodo sim in the nonworking phone and it then works.

I’m going to switch my sons to Koodo. $15 a month plus $20 bonus and 100 booster minutes. What bugs me, though, is that it cannot be linked with current my account because it’s prepaid.