• Jul 12th, 2018 8:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6847 posts
1226 upvotes
Mississauga

Special Meals on Airlines

I'm just curious if you guys request the special meals that are offered on flights (not just because you have restricted diets).

How are they compared to the regular meal that everyone receives? (I usually just take the regular meal). One of my flights (China Southern) is offering a Seafood Meal, I wonder what kind of seafood is usually given....
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9086 posts
3525 upvotes
Toronto
Fruits......all day long.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6847 posts
1226 upvotes
Mississauga
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 1:34 pm
Fruits......all day long.
Thats all you eat are fruits? Wouldn't you still be hungry after a long flight?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9086 posts
3525 upvotes
Toronto
13 hours flight, no....stomach fells bloated.
Raggie wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 1:39 pm
Thats all you eat are fruits? Wouldn't you still be hungry after a long flight?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5024 posts
441 upvotes
We have a lot in the past due to dietary restrictions. My husband didn't have a restriction but still ordered a special meal because they serve those first lol. We don't need to order special meals due to restrictions any more. But I guess we'd consider it if for some reason we wanted to be served first.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6847 posts
1226 upvotes
Mississauga
amz155 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 1:48 pm
We have a lot in the past due to dietary restrictions. My husband didn't have a restriction but still ordered a special meal because they serve those first lol. We don't need to order special meals due to restrictions any more. But I guess we'd consider it if for some reason we wanted to be served first.
Did u think it tasted better than the regular meal?

My daughter has been ordering the vegan meals lately and enjoys it much more than the regular food. One meal had fresh exotic fruit.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1410 posts
610 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I've ordered vegetarian meals before just because I find any meat (incl fish) served on any flight (even in business)just a rubbery gross mess. I'm picky about meat/fish though. I find with vegetarian meals you can't really mess it up to the point where it's totally inedible like meats/fish.

I probably wouldn't order a seafood meal and roll the dice.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1466 posts
518 upvotes
Tokyo
Depends on the airlines, but I have never flown with China Southern so can't answer your question specifically.

On EVA and Singapore Airlines, you can select the specific meal, which is quite extensive, and very tasty compared to the standard meal.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5024 posts
441 upvotes
Raggie wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 2:20 pm
Did u think it tasted better than the regular meal?

My daughter has been ordering the vegan meals lately and enjoys it much more than the regular food. One meal had fresh exotic fruit.
At the time I was a vegetarian, so I wouldn't know what the regular meals tasted like.

I find that the fruit served on airplanes is generally bland or under ripe :( Just depends on the airline and location.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
1693 posts
371 upvotes
Everywhere
I also order the Oriental vegetarian meal. It has always been pretty good. I think the quality is dependent upon the airport it is prepared at.

One time flying from YVR with Air China, I got chana masala but I guess that is Asian/oriental. Usually it is rice and veggies/tofu or noodles and veggies.

Special meals always get served first so that's a good thing.
Jul 20, 2007
25 posts
11 upvotes
I always pre-order Asian Vegetarian (AVML is the usual code) because I also don't really like regular airline meals. On most airlines AVML is usually Indian style with mild curry and basamati rice, and usually not bad at all. And as others noted, you get served first!

During my last international round-trip on China Eastern I had a total of six of these "Indian" meals, which satisfied me enough that I didn't feel the need to visit an Indian restaurant when visiting Canada last month... :)
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3843 posts
516 upvotes
I've done the fruit meal on Air Canada, to my regret.

Yes, you get your meals and snacks first, but what difference does that make?
My meal was cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, honeydew and grapes. It seemed to come straight out of the freezer, not fridge. My second meal (long haul) was the same. The fruits weren't ripe and thus didn't taste very good. For the snacks I was given an apple and banana.

Definitely not recommended. I don't like the regular economy meals, but those are better than the fruit Air Canada gives.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6847 posts
1226 upvotes
Mississauga
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 5:44 pm
I've done the fruit meal on Air Canada, to my regret.

Yes, you get your meals and snacks first, but what difference does that make?
My meal was cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple, honeydew and grapes. It seemed to come straight out of the freezer, not fridge. My second meal (long haul) was the same. The fruits weren't ripe and thus didn't taste very good. For the snacks I was given an apple and banana.

Definitely not recommended. I don't like the regular economy meals, but those are better than the fruit Air Canada gives.
Air Canada was never good for any of the meals tho.

Maybe the Asian airlines are better...
Jul 7, 2017
438 posts
142 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
It all depends on what the country of flight (or catering) origin is and what flight kitchen is being used. Some are better than others. Some airlines even used to have their own flight kitchens but no longer. Given the unripe fruit one finds in Canadian supermarkets, the caterers are going to use whatever is on hand and not select for ripeness - even for the front cabins, I'd never order a fruit meal for a flight catered out of Canada. Some flights are backcatered in that meals for the return portion were loaded at the flights' origin. Probably unlikely for intercontinental flights headed for Canada. Expected level of expertise of local caterers is also a key factor. Indian/east Asian meals should be good out of YVR and possibly YYZ. Apart from LON and maybe AMS, I'd be wary of ordering an Asian meal out of the rest of Europe (even FRA and CDG/PAR).

Haven't flown CZ (China Southern) for flights long enough to have a decent meal but I know MU (China Eastern) has its own kitchen out of its main hub of PVG. Food (Chinese and Western) was quite good for flights ex PVG and YVR in the front cabin a few years ago.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
6847 posts
1226 upvotes
Mississauga
thriftshopper wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 8:07 pm
It all depends on what the country of flight (or catering) origin is and what flight kitchen is being used. Some are better than others. Some airlines even used to have their own flight kitchens but no longer. Given the unripe fruit one finds in Canadian supermarkets, the caterers are going to use whatever is on hand and not select for ripeness - even for the front cabins, I'd never order a fruit meal for a flight catered out of Canada. Some flights are backcatered in that meals for the return portion were loaded at the flights' origin. Probably unlikely for intercontinental flights headed for Canada. Expected level of expertise of local caterers is also a key factor. Indian/east Asian meals should be good out of YVR and possibly YYZ. Apart from LON and maybe AMS, I'd be wary of ordering an Asian meal out of the rest of Europe (even FRA and CDG/PAR).

Haven't flown CZ (China Southern) for flights long enough to have a decent meal but I know MU (China Eastern) has its own kitchen out of its main hub of PVG. Food (Chinese and Western) was quite good for flights ex PVG and YVR in the front cabin a few years ago.
I'm going to guess the meals from China Southern are from their own kitchen. (They just built a new terminal at Baiyun dedicated for CZ). And the seafood meal is only offered on departing flights from Baiyun.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)