• Feb 23rd, 2011 8:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
May 20, 2008
1886 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going to visit a couple of countries in Asia this coming March/April. Let's see how popular Nokia really is in the Asia. AFAIK, most people are using HTC, BB, and iPhone.

Even if Nokia still has some market share in Asia/Europe, they do not have cults like Japanese and their PS3s, or Germans with their Benz/VW. Not that I know of anyway. I don't follow phone makers stock much as I don't touch technology stocks. I have no idea how Palm went down, but I'd imagine it's going to be a very similar situation. Need to do more research on this.

Back then Nokia was known for excellent voice quality, extremely fast UI. Then SE was the king of all phones. T68i ftw. Then the Moto Razer came out, and Dopod/HTC/WM started hitting the market along with BB. It's all Android, iOS, and BB now. Seriously, would you consider a Nokia phone? (not talking about crap prepaid) With Motorola Atrix, Samsung Galaxy S2, iPhone 5, HTC HD7 (meh), HTC Incredible/Desire S in the market or around the horizon...who the heck in their right mind would buy a Nokia N8 powered by Symbian....
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20123 posts
2949 upvotes
How do threads about rampant speculation not go against the "no stock tips" rule?

I am pretty sure this year is going to be a huge one for EA since they have two tier-1 franchises releasing games that will very likely sell 5 million or more copies, namely Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3,

Also they will launch a major highly-anticipated MMO, Old Republic. This is of course in addition to their annual sports franchises.

It's going to be a huge year for EA... I called it. And IMO it's a great time to get in too seeing how they are trading at 1/3 of what they were in 2008.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Banned
Mar 4, 2009
4833 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
kin0kin wrote: I'm expecting them to die in 2 years. SE has given up Symbian for a really long time, and yet Nokia has just admitted that it's a dying (or dead) OS.

Does anybody remember how long did it take Blockbuster to file for bankruptcy after Netflix started eating them up?

Netflix was the nail in the coffin. Brick and mortar video rentals have been dying for years.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2009
3152 posts
1862 upvotes
kin0kin wrote: GM still went down shortly after releasing the G8. The N8 (awfully similar numbering) isn't gonna save Nokia, imo.
kin0kin wrote: Yes, they partnered with Microsoft, which, imho, and many others' "o", has been a pretty bad decision. The only thing that's going to stop them from going belly up is that M$ might bail them out. Anybody considering a w7 phone would stick to HTC.

I dunno guys... the Microsoft+Ford (SYNC) deal clearly saved Ford from bankrupcy :razz:
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
kin0kin wrote: Is it just me or does Nokia look like it could go bankrupt in these 2 years?
It's just you...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8569 posts
1763 upvotes
Back in the early 2000s I woulda speculated that AAPL would go bankrupt. I mean who still uses Macs? That new iPod thing of theirs will never be able to compete with the Diamond Media Rio or the Creative Labs Jukebox!
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2005
5624 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
This thread is spoken like a true American (or North American, perhaps)

Nokia still leads world market share. The N8 has sold something like 4 million units worldwide. Yes, I agree Nokia can't necessarily offer competitive handsets compared to whats flying off the shelves right now (that would be a different story if the N8 were shipping with WP7 or Android.... I agree that symbian sucks) but you have to remember, Nokia's been doing this a lot longer than anyone else in the market right now... At least longer than any of the leaders.

They have the ability to return to the top. Will it be soon? Will they go straight to the top? Maybe not, but in my opinion, they definitely won't go bankrupt. This isn't like Blockbuster where the entire business model is becoming obsolete.

But hey, if you wish you can short them. Nobody will stop you.
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :) :) :( :) :( :)
:) it took me 45 minutes to make this signature :(
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
3854 posts
374 upvotes
lmfao, wow, you guys speculate w/o reviewing the financial statements at all... sigh, good luck shorting it, b/c it's cash-on-hand + licensing fees are enough to keep it afloat forever. It's not a MONEY losing business, it's just not growing as fast. Management is making some moves to restructure, streamline, and develop WP7 products *at least WP7 has a brighter future than Meego, especially if MS actually develops s/w for the ARM platform*
Dec 26, 2006
916 posts
37 upvotes
Sometimes, we just need to step out of our own world and realize that not everyone in the world wants big touch screens and apps. There are actually way more consumers who just need a phone that could make phone calls, at this time anyways. The world does not revolve around North American choices and lifestyles. IMO, it is this type of wasteful and over extending consumerism that will haunt the NA economy. I am still fascinated how a company is able to sell fundamentally the same device in three different form factors, the ipod, iphone, and ipad. Yet everyone cant wait to take out the credit card and buy it all.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1330 posts
74 upvotes
Transient
Both the PC market and phone-only cells are cooling off. Nokia and MS are way behind the power curve. Who knows if they'll "die out" but mobile/cloud computing is replacing PC's and Nokia/MS are just realizing they missed the boat, and just trying to keep each other afloat. Maybe this is only in America now but a lot of the world picked up PCs in the 90's, what makes you think they don't want mobile computers. I would say they are more affordable, and useful than PCs
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
angel_wing0 wrote: ...The N8 is ok at least.
I honestly don't understand why people bought (and are buying) this phone.

It's a PIECE OF CRAP., COMPARED with Android and iPHone...WHICH can be had for the same price really.

I GUESS., it's among the cheapest smartphones, and understandably so.

Friends don't let Friends buy N8's.
DearSummer wrote: I thought they still had commanding market share in emerging economies?
That's pretty much it. In 3rd world countries, it's still Nokia by a mile. Game-Set-Match.
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Penalty Box
Jan 7, 2011
1458 posts
171 upvotes
KW
brunes wrote: How do threads about rampant speculation not go against the "no stock tips" rule?

I am pretty sure this year is going to be a huge one for EA since they have two tier-1 franchises releasing games that will very likely sell 5 million or more copies, namely Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3,

Also they will launch a major highly-anticipated MMO, Old Republic. This is of course in addition to their annual sports franchises.

It's going to be a huge year for EA... I called it. And IMO it's a great time to get in too seeing how they are trading at 1/3 of what they were in 2008.

Wouldn't touch that one myself.

Old Republic is way too risky, Warhammer was a $100M flop and I just don't see anything that stands out here as significantly different, insider employee feedback has been scathing:

"And Bioware? Don’t make me laugh. They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?

And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch.

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too ……"

from http://ealouse.wordpress.com/

Screen shot PR releases look rather bland as well.

DA2 pre release demo came out this week and feed back was rather mixed, for example: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/features/5 ... mpressions

DS2 appears to have done well and ME3 may as well but I don't see much to get excited about really.

Breaks my heart you can't buy Valve/Steam stock - I suspect most have no appreciation how significant they have become.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)