Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes

Speech Therapy Experiences & Cost?

Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences/cost of kids in Speech Therapy.

I've only called one company and the initial assessent which includes 1 hour face-to-face + 1/2 hour to write the report is $190.
Subsequent Appointments are 45 min face-to-face & 15 min prep time for $125

does that sound reasonable?

if you have any comments on your experiences, that would be great too.
41 replies
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
I really wish we were in the same city as we are exploring speech therapy options as well for our son.

In Calgary I have been informed that the industry standard is $120/hr. I am not sure how that time is distributed. It sounds excessive especially since my husbands health insurance only covers up to $75/hr.

I am not sure how old your child is but currently my son is getting some speech therapy through pre-school speech and language department here in Calgary. We are not paying for this service. The reason we are looking into it is because my son will be done this program at the end of june and won't; have any sort of therapy until he starts pre-school in sept.
Jun 12, 2008
621 posts
64 upvotes
Ripley
Is your child younger than 5? Speech therapy is free. Check with your local health unit or doctor's office for contacts. If the child is over age 5 talk to their teacher for school based programs. Again they are free.
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
speech therapy is free in ontario???
I may need to consider a move out there until he turns 5
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
dafunkgirl20 wrote:
May 20th, 2010 2:01 pm
I really wish we were in the same city as we are exploring speech therapy options as well for our son.

In Calgary I have been informed that the industry standard is $120/hr. I am not sure how that time is distributed. It sounds excessive especially since my husbands health insurance only covers up to $75/hr.
according to the fee guide, it's $175 / hr for assessment. the $120/hr sounds about right since one company want $125 (45 min face time), and another wants $135 (unsure of face time)

not sure about the cost being excessive since all the practioners need to hold masters, etc.
zeddy wrote:
May 20th, 2010 2:05 pm
Is your child younger than 5? Speech therapy is free. Check with your local health unit or doctor's office for contacts. If the child is over age 5 talk to their teacher for school based programs. Again they are free.
yes...he's 3...but the wait time is ridiculous!!

got the dr. referral in Dec, and won't get a call back from York Region to book an assessment until September.
Jun 12, 2008
621 posts
64 upvotes
Ripley
My experience - the older the better! My son started at 4 and made progress really quickly. My daughter started at 18 months (same issue as my son) and she is still in speech and the first 2 yrs were a huge waste of time. They get some sounds just with age no matter how many hours you spend practising. My son was 'released' from speech the beginning of Gr1 and my daughter is still in it at the end of Grade 2. I haven't met anyone except the speech therapist that thinks she still needs it - including her teacher who knows what is 'normal' speech for a 7yr old.

Have you checked with your work's health benefits? I know my husband's has some coverage but we have never used it.

Does he go to a daycare centre? Sometimes they have speech therapists that are there on a weekly basis. My son's/daughter's first therapist thought I should enroll them in daycare 2 days a week so they could be seen more often for therapy.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
5549 posts
945 upvotes
Maple
My son had 2 sessions with speech therapy. He was in middle grade 1 when the teacher recommended to have it check out by school board therapist. He has minor problem with pronouncing s/z sounds. all of this was free, covered by government. It took few months after his diagnostic meeting. All of these was done at school and during school. Of course, the parents had the final say.
The 1st session took place when he was in grade 2. The speech therapist came to school every 2 weeks (each session has 10 units, each unit took 15 minutes during school). During the units the therapist would play game, talk focusing on his problem. He was given homework and practiced pronouncing the words. Sometimes the units were missed then the therapist arranged to come to the house in the summer to makeup. We were told the board/government covers only the 1st session.
Then this year, in September we were contacted by another speech therapist that works with the 1st one. She said my son can take another session for free. She is kind of needed this session because we told her 'no' but she went on anyway. We went along anyway. We both agree the only for him to improve is to speak and practice English at home. We are not Canadian born and we wanted to speak and practice our native language at home. That would not help him much unless we keep telling him to focus on those 2 letters. Session 2 has ended last in April. He learned how to focus and speak carefully with those 2 letters.
Bottom line is find out if the school board covers this and at what age is suitable. This is very disciplined. Does your child have the same problem? Is it more severe?
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1634 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
There are free speech therapy programs funded by government but the wait time is very long (10 months wait time in Halton-Peel region). Erinoak Kids is one that serve kids up to 5 yrs old, after that they will be referred to local school board's speech therapy program (free) if the kid continue to need help.

I'm going to bring my LO to a private Speech Pathologist who charges $140/hr in Oakville area (thankfully insurance covers it). 1st session will be an hour observation/assessment but no mention about charges for writing a report. I think what the OP described is reasonable.

For those in Ontario, here are the websites of the association of Speech-Language Pathologists & Audiologists:
www.osla.on.ca
www.caslpo.com
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
zeddy wrote:
May 20th, 2010 2:31 pm
My experience - the older the better! My son started at 4 and made progress really quickly. My daughter started at 18 months (same issue as my son) and she is still in speech and the first 2 yrs were a huge waste of time. I haven't met anyone except the speech therapist that thinks she still needs it - including her teacher who knows what is 'normal' speech for a 7yr old.

Have you checked with your work's health benefits? I know my husband's has some coverage but we have never used it.

Does he go to a daycare centre? Sometimes they have speech therapists that are there on a weekly basis. My son's/daughter's first therapist thought I should enroll them in daycare 2 days a week so they could be seen more often for therapy.
well, my son's 3, so he's inbetween yours when he'll start. i would think 18 months is a bit early depending on your comfort level. we know it's not autism or hearing, cause he gives a devilish grin when we say no to certain things, crosses his arms and stomps off...and we know he's trying to say things, which are getting better.
of course the speech therapist is going to say your child still needs it...how else are they going to get paid? LOL
as for work coverage, wife only covers $300/calendar year so looks like we'll have to eat the rest up. wonder how long it'll be before the kids are sick of KD. :D
Kids aren't in daycare, so that's a no go.
teoconca wrote:
May 20th, 2010 11:07 pm
My son had 2 sessions with speech therapy. He was in middle grade 1 when the teacher recommended to have it check out by school board therapist. He has minor problem with pronouncing s/z sounds. all of this was free, covered by government. It took few months after his diagnostic meeting. All of these was done at school and during school. Of course, the parents had the final say.
Bottom line is find out if the school board covers this and at what age is suitable. This is very disciplined. Does your child have the same problem? Is it more severe?
will definitely have to look at the support offered by the school board, but that's not for another 1.5 years away...and if they dont' really offer it until Grade 1, then that's an extra 2 years away...
ayeung wrote:
May 21st, 2010 12:55 am
There are free speech therapy programs funded by government but the wait time is very long (10 months wait time in Halton-Peel region). Erinoak Kids is one that serve kids up to 5 yrs old, after that they will be referred to local school board's speech therapy program (free) if the kid continue to need help.

I'm going to bring my LO to a private Speech Pathologist who charges $140/hr in Oakville area (thankfully insurance covers it). 1st session will be an hour observation/assessment but no mention about charges for writing a report. I think what the OP described is reasonable.

For those in Ontario, here are the websites of the association of Speech-Language Pathologists & Audiologists:
www.osla.on.ca
www.caslpo.com
the 1st website is where i actually got the different #'s to call.
i'll look intot he 2nd one.
and yes..the wait IS VERY LONG, and i'd rather not wait any longer than necessary. we already feel behind since we initially got the referral in Dec/Jan, but due to trips to Hong Kong & Florida, we put it on hold.

Appears wifey doesn't want in-house practioner so i looks like we'll be going with "The Speech Therapy Centres of Canada" based out of Ricmond Hill.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
ayeung wrote:
May 21st, 2010 12:55 am

www.osla.on.ca
www.caslpo.com
i see the caslpo is the college that regulates practioners, and it links up to the osla to find a private one.
Jan 2, 2007
929 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
We have been using one for the last year and the costs are $135 for an hour (was $125 till a few months ago). She's close to the Fairview mall and is an amazing therapist (has been doing this for like 35 years now). We did try group therapy from the ones funded by the govt but the experience was mixed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7625 posts
169 upvotes
mohitk wrote:
May 25th, 2010 4:13 pm
We have been using one for the last year and the costs are $135 for an hour (was $125 till a few months ago). She's close to the Fairview mall and is an amazing therapist (has been doing this for like 35 years now). We did try group therapy from the ones funded by the govt but the experience was mixed.
just curious, is your practioner working from their home? or in an actual business office? do you have the company name?
Aug 22, 2003
15541 posts
965 upvotes
Niagara Falls
sienna owner wrote:
May 21st, 2010 8:51 am
will definitely have to look at the support offered by the school board, but that's not for another 1.5 years away...and if they don't' really offer it until Grade 1, then that's an extra 2 years away...
Speech services can and do start as early as JK. school boards take over providing services once the child is in school. Most, if not all boards have specialized programs set up for JK's and SK's but not at every school. Your child may have to bussed to a different school if that is the case.

Our daughter was severely speech delayed. She timed out on the waiting lists for pre-school services. She entered JK and had a very limited vocabulary as she's only started talking about 6 months before. She was immediately assessed by the school and board staff and IPRC'ed (identification, placement review committee) and IEP'ed (individual education plan). She received services 3 times a week in JK and was placed in a specialized half day program/classroom for SK. She did half her day in the reg. SK classroom and the other half in the program classroom. She made great gains that year but still received services through school till grade 2.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2005
1703 posts
55 upvotes
Windsor
I was involved in speech therapy from around the age of 4, to grade 12.. I started seeing a speech pathologist at my public school before I even started there, and then continued through high school. Well worth the time, I was barely understandable as a result of being profoundly hard of hearing.
Jan 20, 2009
491 posts
7 upvotes
Ontario
I paid $150.00 for a 1 hour session - no report writing.

My son was on the Erinoak Kids waiting list (pre-school) for about 6-7 months so I wanted to get him some private help first to bridge the waiting gap.

Called a few SLP in my area, and asked/e-mailed them my list of questions about their work/method of therapy. Found the above who told me she wouldn't do a report but rather videotape the whole session as she found that it helped parents more than just a written report.

She had a home office; in the basement and it was very well equipped.

The videotape did help as she went through the practice tips during the session and I could play it back as often as I wanted to.

Right after that session, we got a call from Erinoak to schedule my son's first appointment (about 2 months after the scheduling). He had about 4-5 sessions at Erinoak and was discharged at the pre-school level.