Speech Therapy Experiences & Cost?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 11:46 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 27, 2009
277 posts
46 upvotes
We just retained an SLP for our 3.5 year old son. He was diagnosed with Apraxia and recieved some free SLP through the Child Development Center in Calgary. He will be starting pre-school in september with an aide, and will recieve funding for about 35 hours of speech therapy over the course of the school year. We called I am for kids (which is who he is registered with for the aide and SLP come september) and asked if his therapist is able/willing to take on a private client for the summer months. She is able to!! We had an initial meeting where we discussed his issues and therapy method and had our first session two nights ago.
We are doing half hour sessions as his therapy is quite intensive - half an hour gives us about 23 minutes of therapy and 7 minutes of report writing. We recieve a short little report each day about what was practiced and what we will be working on next and what he needs to continue working on. We are encouraged to watch the session so we can continue working with him throught the week. I am a stay at home parent right now so I can devote a lot of time to this. We wanted our son to have continuous therapy through the summer months as he really needs it.
My therapist said that she wants us to watch and work with her because she's teaching us the skills but it's us who have to work with him on it daily. She said essentially her job is to train herself out of a job. She's been giving us cards to work on and we can photocopy them! Also ideas on how to work on the words - our son is highly motivated by games!!!
Good luck
Dec 1, 2008
136 posts
12 upvotes
Windsor
at 18 months, my son was not talking so I brought him to our local govt funded program, Talk 2 Me for assessment. They are free. They assessed him and told me to come back in about 3 months. Every 3 months from then on I brought him back for assessments. At 2.5, he was finally old enough to begin therapy and the therapist I had been working with knew me well enough by then to sign us up for the course before even telling me about it because she knew I would do it. That meant I did not have to be on a wait list like the other parents. He got once a week therapy frm 3 onwards until he was 4 and went to JK. In JK, he still got therapy once a week because he was considered severe. By March, he got reassessed as moderate and he stopped getting therapy. In SK, he was supposed to start therapy again. He didn't get seen until Feb because they had such a long wait list in the school. He only had therapy every 2 weeks until April or May when it stopped for the school year. I was not happy.

I did some research at that time and ended up finding out his apraxia was pretty serious and he needed more intensive therapy. I asked his teacher who agreed with that (but never mentioned it until I brought it up!)

I was annoyed and ended up engaging a private speech therapist. We paid $85 for each 45 minute session (in our house). After a few months, he showed incredible progress and after 4-5 months she discharged him saying he was doing so well, we didn't need her for a while.

He has continued with speech therapy during the school year and is now going into grade 3. I'm considering paying for another assessment as I really don't trust the school's therapist - she tells me pretty much nothing - I don't get notes, no reports, nothing. I have no clue what he's doing - I didn't even know for 1-2 months after he started therapy until his teacher mentioned it in a stray comment.

E
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
396 upvotes
GT&A
m2m wrote:
Aug 28th, 2010 12:49 am
at 18 months, my son was not talking so I brought him to our local govt funded program, Talk 2 Me for assessment
E

Hello,

Sorry to hear that.

Was your son not talking at all, no sounds like mama, papa, etc?
Would he still emit sounds, try to engage in chatting and point to objects?
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
Jan 15, 2011
279 posts
9 upvotes
Bolton
Hello All,

I'm going to refresh this with a great experience for my son. We went to Family Speech Services they were located in Vaughan at 40 Innovation Dr., Vaughan.

Andrea was incredible, really helped get rid of my son's stuttering, we are soo grateful for her services!

here's her website www.familyspeechservices.com

andrea's number 416-399-5382
Jun 16, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Thank you michelb for your great input. Our boy doesn't talk much and prefers to play along. How is/was the language therapy going on with your son? Any tips? Thanks a lot!
Jul 26, 2015
1 posts
1 upvote
Toronto, ON
trini wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2015 4:37 pm
If anyone needs a therapist let me know.
The price wont be $190.00
Your inbox is full, please PM with some info.
Jun 10, 2017
1 posts
The service structure described above - with it being "free" (paid through tax $$$) through the Health Regions & School Divisions is also how it is in SK. However, I too am looking for additional therapy (offered privately) for my son over the summer. We live in a rural area where we will have to travel to the city in order to receive the private services. We will stay with a relative for a week in July and go to therapy everyday. I think that's the best we can do for this year - can't be doing that very often...
Jul 13, 2006
26 posts
4 upvotes
trini wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2015 4:37 pm
If anyone needs a therapist let me know.
The price wont be $190.00
Hi Trini, I would appreciate if you can PM me.
Dec 11, 2003
822 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
artlan wrote:
Aug 30th, 2017 3:59 pm
Hi Trini, I would appreciate if you can PM me.
My son is seeing somebody in the Victoria Park and St Clair area. She will visit your home as well if it's close by. Are you interested in getting her contact information?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Nov 6, 2014
82 posts
38 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
My daughter has ADS and we used a speech therapist as well - through york region and privately. I also did alot of work and practice at home - it only costs your time. I did alot of research online and its amazing how many speech therapists put worksheets, stories and activites you can do yourself as a parent while waiting for therapy. Uses google and pintrest and even Youtube and search away. Alot of the autism services places have free libraries to borrow books to help you with any number of issues, as well as videos. We did roughly 10-15 minutes a day or every other day and saw vast improvement in her.