Speeding in Construction Zone 40 on steeles ave west

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2016 7:43 pm
[OP]
Mar 21, 2013
12 posts
NORTH YORK

Speeding in Construction Zone 40 on steeles ave west

I just got a speeding ticket in construction zone with workers present. The speed limit was 40km/hr and I was 30 over. This was in toronto on steeles ave west, between keele st and jane st. I thought the speed limit is 60km/hr but it suddenly change to 40km/hr.

There is construction going on there and I was heading westbound on steeles ave W, where there is a speed trap, a officer caught me. This is a trap from police as it nowhere shows there is construction going on there.

I cross from there almost everyday, and I see that police officer there most of times. What are my options ? Also if you also got ticket there, please PM me. we can sync up
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21590 posts
6483 upvotes
Toronto
the construction has been going on for the last 4+ yrs. Yes, they do speed trap just before the main construction site detour, most of the time. Speed fine doubles.
Jan 3, 2005
677 posts
49 upvotes
You admit you were speeding. Pay the ticket.

Police have been there for as long as I can remember, even before construction, hiding out in the UPS driveway.
Apr 26, 2013
976 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
If you see him there often why did you speed? I won't chastise you just saying.

Anyway not sure what you can do as a defense, just follow what everyone on here always says, fight it and file for disclosure. Realistically I think all you will get is a reduction in fine and maybe a plea to a lesser charge, which will still remove your conviction free discount (if you have one.)
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2014
1015 posts
227 upvotes
Unionville, ON
Plead guilty with explanation, tell them you thought the limit was 60 and didn't notice it changed to 40 and definitely didn't intentionally go 30 over.
Pentium 1 166 Mhz | 32 Mb Edo Ram | Seagate 1.4 Gb Ide Hard disk | 3dFX Voodoo1 Pci Video Card | 250W PSU | SoundBlaster Pro sound card | 14" SVGA Monitor
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19898 posts
3765 upvotes
Poormond Hill
It is not a speed trap. Signs are posted. Don't blame the authorities for your problem. Slow Down!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2005
4447 posts
1602 upvotes
Toronto
angirasg wrote:
Sep 16th, 2015 4:14 pm
I just got a speeding ticket in construction zone with workers present. The speed limit was 40km/hr and I was 30 over. This was in toronto on steeles ave west, between keele st and jane st. I thought the speed limit is 60km/hr but it suddenly change to 40km/hr.

There is construction going on there and I was heading westbound on steeles ave W, where there is a speed trap, a officer caught me. This is a trap from police as it nowhere shows there is construction going on there.

I cross from there almost everyday, and I see that police officer there most of times. What are my options ? Also if you also got ticket there, please PM me. we can sync up
lol no sympathy from me.

All the face palms in the world cannot describe.
Email = [myusername] @ GMail.com
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] Fido LTE micro sim
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6694 posts
1251 upvotes
Mississauga
angirasg wrote:

Go to court and fight it. Ask the court for there discovery and talk to the DA on court day and you should get it reduced. Odds are the officer will show up being a radar he will have many
cases that day. Keep us posted. Just ignore the wisecracks.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2178 posts
479 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2015 5:19 pm
Go to court and fight it. Ask the court for there discovery and talk to the DA on court day and you should get it dropped. Odds are the officer will show up being a radar he will have many
cases that day. Keep us posted. Just ignore the wisecracks.
So why would they drop it if the officer shows up? Not really getting the logic here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6694 posts
1251 upvotes
Mississauga
CensoredByRFD wrote:
Sep 16th, 2015 5:22 pm
So why would they drop it if the officer shows up? Not really getting the logic here.
Sorry meant reduced. Fixed my post.
Oct 5, 2014
834 posts
1109 upvotes
AB
angirasg wrote:

it's a trap when you get caught.. even if the speed limit was 60km/hr, you were doing 70km/hr; that is 10km/hr over.. it is way too much for construction zone, school zone and playground zone.. btw if you were doing 80-90km/hr (double the limit or 50 over) your vehicle might be impounded and license suspended and 1-3 night stay at police resort all inclusive.

pay the ticket and obey the rules and signs next time..
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10214 posts
496 upvotes
Brampton
They have big signs up there telling you it is radar enforced so what do you expect?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21590 posts
6483 upvotes
Toronto
so, what fine did the officer put down on the ticket ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6694 posts
1251 upvotes
Mississauga
wamwam wrote:
Sep 16th, 2015 5:53 pm
it's a trap when you get caught.. even if the speed limit was 60km/hr, you were doing 70km/hr; that is 10km/hr over.. it is way too much for construction zone, school zone and playground zone.. btw if you were doing 80-90km/hr (double the limit or 50 over) your vehicle might be impounded and license suspended and 1-3 night stay at police resort all inclusive.

pay the ticket and obey the rules and signs next time..
Don`t listen to these guys. You need to fight ever ticket guilty or not. The system is set up wrong. The way insurance is set up in Ontario is a joke. Speed and your rates go up for the rest of your life. And to beat you jokers to the punch. Just don`t speed is going to be your response. Everybody speeds and if you claim you don`t your lying. You just haven`t been caught.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
1972 posts
524 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
This is the worst place you can seek traffic ticket advice, be prepared for next few pages of the thread consisting of you shouldn't have been speeding/you admitted guilt/ just pay the fine blah blah blah.