Speeding Ticket in Alberta

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2014 5:13 pm
Jan 13, 2015
1 posts
1 upvote
Madden, AB

Speeding Ticket in Alberta

Hey guys, so over the long weekend I recieved my first speeding ticket in Canmore, Alberta. I was going 126km/h in a 90km/h zone and got a $228 ticket. I am a GDL Driver and am insured with TD. I was driving a friends car at the time. I would like to know how much this will effect my insurance. Also, I got 4 demerits as a result of this.

Thanks!
18 replies
Nov 26, 2012
350 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
1 speeding ticket should not affect your insurance. More though, and you're screwed.

And before someone says it...

Fight it!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15169 posts
2743 upvotes
chconline wrote: 1 speeding ticket should not affect your insurance. More though, and you're screwed.

And before someone says it...

Fight it!
The only thing I would add is, don't use paralegal services as any fine reduction they win, you can do that yourself. chconline advice is bang on the money.
Nov 12, 2012
781 posts
514 upvotes
Calgary
Demerits don't mean anything for insurance rates, however get 4 more demerits on within two years and say hello to a suspended drivers license.

TD may or may not pull a drivers abstract on you when you renew, so it's hard to say if it will affect your rates at all. Usually the first ticket is a freebie, after that they start to jack up your rates.

You can fight the ticket if you want, but the only thing it MAY get you is a reduction in demerits, or lower $ fine. Consider it a speeding tax and chalk it up to a lesson learned (hopefully).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18944 posts
10527 upvotes
hbirfan wrote: Hey guys, so over the long weekend I recieved my first speeding ticket in Canmore, Alberta. I was going 126km/h in a 90km/h zone and got a $228 ticket. I am a GDL Driver and am insured with TD. I was driving a friends car at the time. I would like to know how much this will effect my insurance. Also, I got 4 demerits as a result of this.

Thanks!
Alberta has a partially regulated system and the maximum amount your basic insurance can rise is dictated here:
http://www.airb.alberta.ca/gridrate/airbgridinfo.aspx
It does not mean your insurance goes up this much, but for the basic portion (not collision) this is the max.
Banned
Jun 22, 2012
4737 posts
722 upvotes
Shhanada
hbirfan wrote: Hey guys, so over the long weekend I recieved my first speeding ticket in Canmore, Alberta. I was going 126km/h in a 90km/h zone and got a $228 ticket. I am a GDL Driver and am insured with TD. I was driving a friends car at the time. I would like to know how much this will effect my insurance. Also, I got 4 demerits as a result of this.

Thanks!
Hi, welcome to RFD with your first post. To save you time, here's what the common advice is on RFD automotive forum. You will be advise to:

1-Lie about what you did
2-Cause frivolous delays and use tricks to try and have your case thrown out
3-Commit perjury
4-Create imaginary fears about the traffic officer being corrupt and the court being incompetent.
5-Rant about how speeding is actually safer and that everyone else going too slow is the problem.
6-Consider paying for ticket buster organizations or ticket busting lawyers.

My advice is simpler but less popular:
1-Pay your fine
2-Use the costs and pain of having to pay more as your reminder to slow down and pay attention to road signs
3-Be thankful that nobody was killed or hurt and no property was damaged.
4-Slow down
5-Enjoy a lifetime of saving fuel and not being the cause of preventable death, damage or injury.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Depends on how much you accumulated within a year I believe. If it's more than 2 you pay a premium. I had to pay $500/year premium.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38383 posts
12008 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
eldiablo wrote: The only thing I would add is, don't use paralegal services as any fine reduction they win, you can do that yourself. chconline advice is bang on the money.
What's wrong with paralegals? Who else would you use? Ex Coppers?
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4409 posts
819 upvotes
it's always good to represent yourself and fight it. however for many people, paralegal is better choice, they'll handle disclosure and go to court on your behalf. not all paralegals go to court just to reduce your fine, they do help you in fact drop the charge totally. ofc, they cannot promise you the result. pros and cons either way.
Aug 7, 2014
5 posts
3 upvotes
Prince George, BC
I have a British Columbia Driver's licence and I received over 50 km/h speeding ticket in Alberta with a mandatory court appearance 170km/h in 110 zone. I have also received 3 other tickets for not signalling in lane change and improper seat belt buckling for my child (not tight enough), and not showing an N sign on the back of my car (B C requires new drivers to have it) from the same officer, those are my first tickets. What are my options? should I hire a lawyer, traffic agent, or defend myself? what is the the worst case scenario and most unfavourable outcome I could face? The pink ticket is a traffic violation ticket under traffic under act 115 (2). Can it ever turn into criminal offence in court? Can I request a plea deal on the first appearance date or is it only done at court trial date?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yaser2014 wrote: I have a British Columbia Driver's licence and I received over 50 km/h speeding ticket in Alberta with a mandatory court appearance 170km/h in 110 zone. I have also received 3 other tickets for not signalling in lane change and improper seat belt buckling for my child (not tight enough), and not showing an N sign on the back of my car (B C requires new drivers to have it) from the same officer, those are my first tickets. What are my options? should I hire a lawyer, traffic agent, or defend myself? what is the the worst case scenario and most unfavourable outcome I could face? The pink ticket is a traffic violation ticket under traffic under act 115 (2). Can it ever turn into criminal offence in court? Can I request a plea deal on the first appearance date or is it only done at court trial date?
You were doing 170 with your child in the car, improperly buckled?
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1921 posts
807 upvotes
Calgary
^thjs. Go to court and deal with it. I totally understand driving at speeds suited to the roadway, but there absolutely should be no reason to be doing 170km/h on public highways, especially with a small child in the vehicle.

Also, I didn't know Alberta RCMP could enforce BC laws regarding the N signage requirement.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blind56 wrote: ^thjs. Go to court and deal with it. I totally understand driving at speeds suited to the roadway, but there absolutely should be no reason to be doing 170km/h on public highways, especially with a small child in the vehicle.

Also, I didn't know Alberta RCMP could enforce BC laws regarding the N signage requirement.
They can technically charge you anywhere, if it's within a municipality (with their own Force) however they'd just dispatch them instead.

It's not the norm, but neither are his actions. Using my discretion, I would handle it and ensure he's held responsible for everything I witnessed, rather than telling another officer and having him potentially get off easier.
Aug 7, 2014
5 posts
3 upvotes
Prince George, BC
I did not say I was driving at 170 nor the child seat belt was loose nor did I not signal for lane change. The mere fact is my car has in lane safety feature that would not even let me change lanes without signalling. He is a redneck trying to make money for the municipality that hired him. He went on to touch my child without our permission or even notifying us, the parents, by pulling me to the back of the car and asking my wife to stay in the passenger seat. Does he has the right to touch our kid without our permission or supervision??? Does his province supply those N signs as British Columbia does if it got stolen!!!
Aug 7, 2014
5 posts
3 upvotes
Prince George, BC
He was not an RCMP officer. RCMP officers are decent. He was a local Sheriff who claims I was doing 150 before I pulled into the gas station (I went in to gas up) and kept following me after for like 7 kilometres to pull me over!!If I was doing 150 earlier as he claimed , why did not he stop me at the time? He had all the time to do so!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2004
1705 posts
148 upvotes
Please tell me he "dis-respected" you so I can be certain that you're a total d-bag, right now I'm only 90% convinced
Deal Addict
May 16, 2009
1275 posts
83 upvotes
yaser2014 wrote: I did not say I was driving at 170 nor the child seat belt was loose nor did I not signal for lane change. The mere fact is my car has in lane safety feature that would not even let me change lanes without signalling. He is a redneck trying to make money for the municipality that hired him. He went on to touch my child without our permission or even notifying us, the parents, by pulling me to the back of the car and asking my wife to stay in the passenger seat. Does he has the right to touch our kid without our permission or supervision??? Does his province supply those N signs as British Columbia does if it got stolen!!!
1. Lane safety feature is not an excuse. You can still change lanes in cars equipped with it and not signal.
2. The officer has the right to conduct an inspection, if he is reasonably certain that an offense has been committed.
3. If you loose your N in another province, it is more than acceptable to improvise temporarily. In fact, ICBC has a print out you can use to make one until you are able to get to an ICBC office to pick one up:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/ne ... ncolor.pdf

So, from what you are saying, you were charged going 60km/h over the speed limit, not having your child buckled in, and a missing N sign. The officer threw the book at you because you deserved it, and probably gave the officer attitude as well!

In addition, the ticket under Section 115 (2) of the Alberta Traffic Safety Act is a very serious charge; it's a CARELESS DRIVING ticket. Very serious charge in Alberta. You will need a lawyer or paralegal in Alberta to help you with that.

You will end up paying for it once you are convicted, so don't ignore the tickets. If you do ignore the tickets, the following will likely happen:
1. You will be banned from driving in Alberta until the tickets are all paid. If you do happen to show up in Alberta and the police stop you, expect to spend some time in a jail cell until things are straightened out, as there will be a warrant out for your arrest in Alberta.
2. Canada Revenue Agency will be notified by the province of Alberta and will intercept and garnish your income tax returns and GST rebates.
3. Your license in BC will also be revoked, as Alberta and BC does share info. This will take some time until ICBC is notified and the offences translated into the equivalent BC crime, but it will happen. You are looking at roughly 11 demerit points right now, which is enough to have your driver's license revoked.
4. If you do choose to get your license back, you will be required to pay a Driver Risk Premium and a Driver Penalty Point Premium, in addition to having to repeat the N stage of your GLP. Lots of money here.
Aug 20, 2013
286 posts
73 upvotes
N/A
Tickets n' ***** exist for this type of driving, narcissism, and wont of concern for yourself and society. That being said, no one, not even a fuzz, should touch your kid.
May 20, 2019
1 posts
yaser2014 wrote: I have a British Columbia Driver's licence and I received over 50 km/h speeding ticket in Alberta with a mandatory court appearance 170km/h in 110 zone. I have also received 3 other tickets for not signalling in lane change and improper seat belt buckling for my child (not tight enough), and not showing an N sign on the back of my car (B C requires new drivers to have it) from the same officer, those are my first tickets. What are my options? should I hire a lawyer, traffic agent, or defend myself? what is the the worst case scenario and most unfavourable outcome I could face? The pink ticket is a traffic violation ticket under traffic under act 115 (2). Can it ever turn into criminal offence in court? Can I request a plea deal on the first appearance date or is it only done at court trial date?
Hey there, I got the same situation over the long weekend, I am wondering how did you deal with it .

Thanks,