None
Aug 14, 2008
224 posts
Ottawa

Speeding Ticket in Montreal..

I recently received a speeding ticket in Montreal

Cost: 249
Demeirt: 2 points

Now I actually do not speak a word or french, and the ticket is all in french.. now I am a little bit upset about that but I understand.. now for a person living in Ottawa that does not speak any French what are my options?

I want to contest it, is it worth it?

I was speeding 140 on the highway "I was passing a car" .. any advice? I don't really care about the money it's the points affecting my insurance...

Any advice??
13 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1025 posts
14 upvotes
Points don't affect your insurance, tickets do. Unless you get the ticket thrown out it will show up on your abstract.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6528 posts
408 upvotes
Toronto
Insurance cares about convictions, not points.

Points are used by the Provincial government.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
5995 posts
151 upvotes
Markham
I used in live in Montreal and tried to contest a ticket. It is different taht waht they do here in Toronto. You won't have to see the prosecutor who you can try negociate the ticket or the amount/pts. You will just go to court, about a year later your ticketed date and show up and defend yourself. You can ask to speak with English or French on the court

The police didn't show up and I didn't win the trial. Paid 350$ with the court fee when the ticket was only 275$.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Aug 14, 2008
224 posts
Ottawa
Being that I live in Ottawa will this ticket show up since it's from MTL?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
1417 posts
246 upvotes
Edmonton
hamon wrote:
Feb 14th, 2009 11:58 am

Now I actually do not speak a word or french, and the ticket is all in french.. now I am a little bit upset about that but I understand.. now for a person living in Ottawa that does not speak any French what are my options?

I was speeding 140 on the highway "I was passing a car" .. any advice? I don't really care about the money it's the points affecting my insurance...

Any advice??
Don't know what it's like in Quebec (or Ontario), but here in Alberta, passing another vehicle isn't a valid excuse for speeding. I remember getting that question wrong on my learner's exam. :(

Clint
May 2, 2008
290 posts
58 upvotes
Tickets from the SQ are always French-only, but you can get a translation mailed to you at no cost. You can contest it and try to negotiate it down if you need to save the points.

REMEMBER the number of points noted on the ticket will almost certainly NOT correspond to the actual points you will get if you have an Ontario driver's license - if/when convicted, the Quebec authorities give notice of the speed to the Ontario Ministry of transportation and points will be applied as if the offence occurred in Ontario. 140km/h in a 100km/h zone is 4 points I believe in Ontario - check with the MTO.

As MP3_SKY mentioned, the cop will NOT show up in court unless you specifically call him as a witness (and they you will be responsible for the costs). Most of the crap used in Ontario to get out of tickets will not work in Quebec, you are up against a conviction rate for speeding tickets which is well in excess of 99%. Unless the ticket is fatally flawed, you will not win. Simple as that. But you can try to reduce the impact by lowering the speed and corresponding number of points - most prosecutors will negotiate, as even with a reduced speed plea they get their conviction.

You can get some basic information about the process of contesting on this site - assuming yours is a SQ ticket (marked "Constat d'infraction national") then send an email to the BIA (the provincial ticket-management agency) - write in English, request a translation, clearly state your plea, request the disclosure of evidence and ask them to confirm by email that your plea has been received.

Then you wait about 12 months for a court date, and then (and not before) you can phone the court and speak to a prosecutor to see if he/she will accept a guilty plea for a lesser speed. Keep your initial email simple and to the point - whatever you do, don't give any explanation for your speeding for the moment, it can only count against you. Good luck :)
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2796 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
zekele wrote:
Feb 14th, 2009 9:32 pm
REMEMBER the number of points noted on the ticket will almost certainly NOT correspond to the actual points you will get if you have an Ontario driver's license - if/when convicted, the Quebec authorities give notice of the speed to the Ontario Ministry of transportation and points will be applied as if the offence occurred in Ontario. 140km/h in a 100km/h zone is 4 points I believe in Ontario - check with the MTO.
Yes, 30-49k over the speed limit is 4 demerit points in Ontario.
Jan 5, 2004
581 posts
15 upvotes
Laval
hamon wrote:
Feb 14th, 2009 11:58 am

Any advice??
What do you have to contest? retards like you driving @ 140 should pay and leave our province
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8641 posts
547 upvotes
downloader wrote:
Feb 15th, 2009 8:44 am
What do you have to contest? retards like you driving @ 140 should pay and leave our province
I've driven in Quebec so many times and every time there is some retard doing stupid things. In fact, the things they do (even in Gatineau) are probably worse then what goes on in Ottawa and comparable to certain parts of Toronto.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
13075 posts
1033 upvotes
Montreal
downloader wrote:
Feb 15th, 2009 8:44 am
Ahem... Have you been out their lately? I see idiots doing 140 in the left lane in their rickety old Civics in snowstorms all the time. 120 is the average cruising speed on the Met or Decarie (speed limit 70!).

If every one who speeds leaves the province, there won't be much left on roads. Which is good, because I've been wanting to open my engine on empty stretch of road for a long time :D
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2001
1124 posts
18 upvotes
zekele wrote:
Feb 14th, 2009 9:32 pm
Tickets from the SQ are always French-only, but you can get a translation mailed to you at no cost. You can contest it and try to negotiate it down if you need to save the points.

As MP3_SKY mentioned, the cop will NOT show up in court unless you specifically call him as a witness (and they you will be responsible for the costs). Most of the crap used in Ontario to get out of tickets will not work in Quebec, you are up against a conviction rate for speeding tickets which is well in excess of 99%. Unless the ticket is fatally flawed, you will not win. Simple as that. But you can try to reduce the impact by lowering the speed and corresponding number of points - most prosecutors will negotiate, as even with a reduced speed plea they get their conviction.

You can get some basic information about the process of contesting on this site - assuming yours is a SQ ticket (marked "Constat d'infraction national") then send an email to the BIA (the provincial ticket-management agency) - write in English, request a translation, clearly state your plea, request the disclosure of evidence and ask them to confirm by email that your plea has been received.

Then you wait about 12 months for a court date, and then (and not before) you can phone the court and speak to a prosecutor to see if he/she will accept a guilty plea for a lesser speed. Keep your initial email simple and to the point - whatever you do, don't give any explanation for your speeding for the moment, it can only count against you. Good luck :)

Toronto should use this system for tickets, there are people on the roads that should not be driving and would free up the court system.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2007
1768 posts
15 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Feb 15th, 2009 9:30 am
I see idiots doing 140 in the left lane in their rickety old Civics in snowstorms all the time. 120 is the average cruising speed on the Met or Decarie (speed limit 70!).
When was the last time cars moved faster than 40 on those two piece of crap pothole-infested every year is a construction nightmare year "highways"?
Damn, I'm glad I don't live there anymore and visit very rarely.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
5995 posts
151 upvotes
Markham
hamon wrote:
Feb 14th, 2009 8:48 pm
Being that I live in Ottawa will this ticket show up since it's from MTL?
No. I'm not sure the consequences if you're not paying it or not show up in the court, but the ticket won't throw out just like that.

It won't be as easy to throw out a speeding ticket, just pay the fine and drive slow. 1 speeding ticket isn't a huge deal on your insurance renewal. Most likely 5-10% increase at most or not increase at all depends on your insurance company.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
× < >