Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
33 posts

Speeding ticket for Ontario resident in New York

Guys,

Can someone provide some insights ?

If an Ontario resident receives a speeding ticket on a highway in New York state and pays the fine...does it really show up on the driving record in Ontario ?

Are the systems of New York and Ontario DMV linked ?

There are tons of attorneys from US advertising that they will try that it does not show up in records here.

I want to hear from RFDrs who might have received such a ticket to verify if it even shows up here.

I received such a ticket back in 2002 while on an Ontario license and it never showed up in any record in US or Canada. So I want to just go ahead and plead guilty and pay the fine in New York and hope it does not show up again.

But not sure if things have changed since 2002 and if it is worth hiring an attorney on top of the U$400 in fine that I have to pay.
38 replies
Dec 26, 2009
691 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
We do have a recipricol agreement with the states and it should appear on your record in Ontario. There is a lot of paperwork to go through and if that's not done then some people get lucky and it will never show up but especially in New York of all states many do show up. It may take many months before it shows up. I would check in 8mths time so you don't waste your $12 on an abstract.

What you can do in the future is to call the DA or who ever on the ticket and suggest if you could come to an agreeable resolution by pleading guilty to a by-law charge which is equal to a parking ticket and won't show up here. I find that most are willing to agree as they really only want the fine.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
33 posts
highway wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 11:00 am
We do have a recipricol agreement with the states and it should appear on your record in Ontario. There is a lot of paperwork to go through and if that's not done then some people get lucky and it will never show up but especially in New York of all states many do show up. It may take many months before it shows up. I would check in 8mths time so you don't waste your $12 on an abstract.

What you can do in the future is to call the DA or who ever on the ticket and suggest if you could come to an agreeable resolution by pleading guilty to a by-law charge which is equal to a parking ticket and won't show up here. I find that most are willing to agree as they really only want the fine.
Thanks for the info.
I am not clear who to call. The only person's name on the ticket is the cop who gave the ticket and the address of the court where I have to appear if I choose to.
So I looked up that town's phone number on the web and called them. There is no District Attorney's name or anything on the ticket. It's a small town, so all they are interested is in getting the money from people that pass on the I-90 stretch next to there town.

I spoke with two attorneys from New York and they want $500 bucks to fight it and both say that they will try to bring the points down to something that does not show up in the records here, without telling how they would do it. It's probably the by-law level charge you are talking about, but I am not convinced shelling out $500 bucks to them when it is crystal clear he has the radar gun reading to say I was speeding. I did not say anything to the officer while the ticket was issues, except for showing my driver's license and registration.

I am so confused....should have just sat at home over the Christmas vacation instead of heading out to US.
Aug 22, 2003
15532 posts
957 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It may help you with the decision to know that NY State charges their victim impact surcharge seperately from the actual ticket you recieved, unlike here in Ont. What that means is that approximately 2-3 months after paying the ticket you will get a bill in the mail with the victim impact charge, it's usually 1-3 times the dollar value of the initial ticket. ;) So you're going to have to access whether the $500 lawyer fee is possibly worth it to you to possibly avoid the $800+...
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Dec 26, 2009
691 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Just call the courthouse and see if a resolution is possible. Try to settle it on your own to save you $$$. Remeber that if the speed only gets reduced it still is a conviction on record regardless if it carries points or not.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
33 posts
highway wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 11:57 am
Just call the courthouse and see if a resolution is possible. Try to settle it on your own to save you $$$. Remeber that if the speed only gets reduced it still is a conviction on record regardless if it carries points or not.
I just called the town again to see if I can get a more accurate figure for the fine as last time I called was 3 days after receiving the ticket and she looked up my last name and could not find the ticket, so simply told the fine based on the section of offence.

This time she never asked for name etc and asked what was the offence and says you will get 6 points and you will be assessed a $100 fee for New York Driver Assessessment for 3 years. No talk about the previous $300 fee plus $95.

She asked if you have clean driving record, maybe I could bring down the charge by speaking to the district attorney. She was not clear what she wanted me to do.

The call ended with a suggestion that if I send in a driver's abstract(driving record) with a not guilty plea and then take it from there.

Any idea how I can get a copy of my Ontario driving license history and do you think this plan of action would work, especially when the clerk in the court itself was offering suggestions.

It's a 2 hrs 45 min drive from Toronto, so I am not keen on going there.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Why do you suddenly want to clear the ticket? Did you receive any mail regarding that besides the initial ticket?
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
1928 posts
437 upvotes
You got the ticket back in 2002 or 7 years ago so now are you worried about crossing the border?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2007
2276 posts
87 upvotes
i don't know much about this topic, but i can tell you what happened to a friend of mine in a similar situation. he received a couple of speeding tickets in new york, didn't take care of them, and 6 years later when he went back to new york he was arrested and put in jail over night because of the tickets.

moral of the story: i suggest you take care of this and pay whatever you need to pay. you don't want this coming back to haunt you
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2005
2181 posts
113 upvotes
highway wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 11:00 am

Ontario does NOT have a reciprocal agreement with ALL the states but NY is one of the states which has such an agreement.

I had a speeding ticket in Niagara Falls, NY. In the end, I had to sit through a 4-hour "safe driving" lesson there (or could have paid about $300 to do it locally in Toronto). As others have suggested, contact the DA and see what he/she offers.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
2798 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
Here is info straight from me;

I had a ticket one time in the state of NY (2003) too deep to make a drive from Toronto to go fight. It was doing 89MPH in a 65MPH zone. The ticket was around $220, some points (based on the US point system). I paid the ticket hoping it would be done with.

Then I got the drive assessment letter people are noting. Pay $100 for 3 years etc. etc. I kept ignoring it. Every year they would keep sending me the letter to get the money, I kept ignoring it.

I checked my driving record and yes indeed the ticket did show up on the record. I have been told that the state of NY and the state of MICHIGAN both share records with ONTARIO.

Anyways - so the assessment letter after 3 years stopped and I got a final letter saying my NY state drivers liscense was suspended and there was a warrant for my arrest in the state of NY. Since 2003 I have gone over the boarder every year, sometimes multiple times in a year, not a single question at the border or any problems (and yes I have been randomly checked and questioned once as well just crossing, nothing to do with any tickets, just a random check).

In 2006 I got another speeding ticket in Pennsylvania - no mention of my NY state ticket or anything unpaid, and I ignored the PENN ticket as well, didn't pay it at all, got a few letters, then nothing, never showed up on my record, nobody harrases me for it. Again got a letter for a warrant for my arrest.

Was just in NYC in November - got 2 seatbelt tickets in NYC, the cop went to his car, wrote me tickets, didnt say or ask me anything about any previous stuff or any tickets. Now I don't know if he actually checked up on me on his computer, that could be a different story, but I have also heard if anything comes up, you can pay the cop right there and they will let you go.

Now I sent my seatbelt tickets in for a court date, but will call the DA office when I get some notice back as others are saying hoping I can get out of it.

Hope that helps you. Have not been arrested yet - but could be, no clue.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
wmahmud wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 1:59 pm
Here is info straight from me;

I had a ticket one time in the state of NY (2003) too deep to make a drive from Toronto to go fight. It was doing 89MPH in a 65MPH zone. The ticket was around $220, some points (based on the US point system). I paid the ticket hoping it would be done with.

Then I got the drive assessment letter people are noting. Pay $100 for 3 years etc. etc. I kept ignoring it. Every year they would keep sending me the letter to get the money, I kept ignoring it.

I checked my driving record and yes indeed the ticket did show up on the record. I have been told that the state of NY and the state of MICHIGAN both share records with ONTARIO.

Anyways - so the assessment letter after 3 years stopped and I got a final letter saying my NY state drivers liscense was suspended and there was a warrant for my arrest in the state of NY. Since 2003 I have gone over the boarder every year, sometimes multiple times in a year, not a single question at the border or any problems (and yes I have been randomly checked and questioned once as well just crossing, nothing to do with any tickets, just a random check).

In 2006 I got another speeding ticket in Pennsylvania - no mention of my NY state ticket or anything unpaid, and I ignored the PENN ticket as well, didn't pay it at all, got a few letters, then nothing, never showed up on my record, nobody harrases me for it. Again got a letter for a warrant for my arrest.

Was just in NYC in November - got 2 seatbelt tickets in NYC, the cop went to his car, wrote me tickets, didnt say or ask me anything about any previous stuff or any tickets. Now I don't know if he actually checked up on me on his computer, that could be a different story, but I have also heard if anything comes up, you can pay the cop right there and they will let you go.

Now I sent my seatbelt tickets in for a court date, but will call the DA office when I get some notice back as others are saying hoping I can get out of it.

Hope that helps you. Have not been arrested yet - but could be, no clue.
In some States (not every States), you can pay the ticket on the spot.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
33 posts
gman wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 12:44 pm
Why do you suddenly want to clear the ticket? Did you receive any mail regarding that besides the initial ticket?
Just to clear the confusion.
The ticket I am talking about is what I received last week of Dec 2009 in New York on I-90.

I just mentioned about the 2002 ticket to highlight that I had similarly received a speeding ticket in 2002 that did not show up in the records in Ontario or US. And I was driving on an Ontario license that time as well.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2007
33 posts
Thanks wmahmud for the info. My situation is exactly like yours.

The fine is $300 plus $95 surcharge, plus the $100 per year for this Driver Assessment thing.

I called the town court today and she said I can mail in a not guilty plea with a driver abstract and request for plea reduction by mail and she can see what she can do, as my driving record is clear prior to getting this ticket.

She did not ask for my name or ticket number, but said I could write on the top of ticket Attn: to her as she says she speaks to lot of people about tickets over phone...probably because they have cops sitting on the highway near the town all the time.

So I have requested my drivers record from MTO under Freedom of Information and Privacy act and will mail that in along with the ticket and see what happens, rather than paying $500 bucks to a lawyer who was going to essentially do the same. Might as well save on the lawyers fee to pay the fine.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
merimarzi wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 2:22 pm
Just to clear the confusion.
The ticket I am talking about is what I received last week of Dec 2009 in New York on I-90.

I just mentioned about the 2002 ticket to highlight that I had similarly received a speeding ticket in 2002 that did not show up in the records in Ontario or US. And I was driving on an Ontario license that time as well.
I would say this is very important piece of information. :D
merimarzi wrote:
Jan 5th, 2010 11:33 am
I spoke with two attorneys from New York and they want $500 bucks to fight it and both say that they will try to bring the points down to something that does not show up in the records here, without telling how they would do it. It's probably the by-law level charge you are talking about, but I am not convinced shelling out $500 bucks to them when it is crystal clear he has the radar gun reading to say I was speeding. I did not say anything to the officer while the ticket was issues, except for showing my driver's license and registration.

I am so confused....should have just sat at home over the Christmas vacation instead of heading out to US.
I am confused too.

EDIT: never mind. You mean $500 to the lawyer.
× < >