Automotive

Speeding ticket in Quebec (Not my vehicle)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2019 10:55 pm
Aug 19, 2018
23 posts
5 upvotes

Speeding ticket in Quebec (Not my vehicle)

Hi RFD, I hope this is the right place to ask this question and I apologize if it's a long read but it's kind of a sticky situation.

Anyways, Around 1.5 months ago, I received a letter from the ministry of Justice Quebec saying a vehicle registered to my address was speeding in a 50 zone and ordered the resident of my address to pay 138 dollars, I have not been to Quebec in the past 5 years and do not recognize the vehicle in the ticket at all. I called ministry of Justice Quebec and they told me to mail the notice of offense back to their address which I did so after a month (procrastinated because it's not even my car lol.. kinda regretted this.). Fast forward to around 10 days ago, I receive a letter stating I was found guilty of this speeding ticket, and they can seize my property or cash, which will affect my credit score, I called ministry of Justice Quebec again, they said they did receive my letter but it arrived too late and the system found my guilty on default. So my question is, should I just ignore this ticket? The ministry of Justice Quebec doesn't even have my name or my actual license plate of my actual vehicle, they just have my address (which according to them is registered to a company that the vehicle was registered to). Even if they do seize cash from bank account, wouldn't they just seize it from the bank account of the actual owner of the vehicle?

Any help/ input would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 9, 2003
5132 posts
981 upvotes
Calgary
Suck it up

Napoleonic code

Guilty till proven innocent
The "Napoleonic Code," which continues in France and other countries conquered by France, hold that the accused is guilty until proven innocent (thus, the point of Victor Hugo's Les Miserables). This was a re-working of previous monarchical attitudes toward law enforcement (and as Napoleon was emperor, one isn't surprised.)

Suspects in the American judicial system have a presumption of innocence, or being innocent until proven guilty. Other countries, such as France, maintain protections of a suspect and ensure a fair trial but use a presumption of guilt until proven innocent.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1034 posts
1821 upvotes
Cough wrote: Suck it up

Napoleonic code

As outrageous as it sounds, civil penalties such as speeding tickets are guilty til proven innocent. This is not criminal court.
Aug 19, 2018
23 posts
5 upvotes
Cough wrote: Suck it up

Napoleonic code

Kingsmen17 wrote: As outrageous as it sounds, civil penalties such as speeding tickets are guilty til proven innocent. This is not criminal court.
BeaverLiquor wrote: Tell those tabernacs to suck le bleu.
Thanks for the replies!! But would it be fine if I just ignore this ticket because they don't actually have my name or my actual license plate? Wouldn't the charges just towards the owner of the vehicle and not the address owner?
Jan 9, 2011
344 posts
167 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Are you not in the least bit curious why a vehicle that you don’t know is registered to your address?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1757 posts
1143 upvotes
Vancouver
Do you have the name of the person or the company that was found guilty? An "address" cannot be found guilty so there is definitely a name or company that used your address.
I'll Keep It Short and Sweet. Family, Religion, Friendship ... These Are the Three Demons You Must Slay if You Wish to Succeed in Business

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)