Shopping Discussion

Spending With Impunity or Without Remorse?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2014 10:25 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16474 posts
1457 upvotes
Space for rent

Spending With Impunity or Without Remorse?

Not sure which better describes what I'm trying to ask but being on this forum obviously skews and distorts my view of how people live in the real world. If this site and its members are any indication, it seems people buy stuff with reckless abandonment.

I get the feeling that people of this generation who have been in the working force the last decade or so who are buying luxury sports coupes, living in condos and going out and drinking every weekend fears naught what the economy may be if it hits a rut or if they find themselves without a job due to circumstances beyond their control.

The Automative forums is full of people buying $50k cars. Food forum is full of people trying this and that restaurant. Home forums is full of people buying $500-$800k homes.

May be I'm just exceptionally poor / cheap and cannot appreciate what it is like to have that feeling of carefree spending with a secure job and a cushy rainy day reserve. I see a lot of spending from my 'contemporaries' and it makes me wonder are they really just spend-holics or they must really have a golden goose or a money growing tree in their backyard.

I wish there was a site like broke- ***** -living.com

:D
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5153 posts
674 upvotes
South of Ottawa
You believe everything you read on the internets?
Nov 1, 2013
140 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
I would take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. It is anonymous forum so people are more willing to stretch the truth a little
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
44770 posts
3388 upvotes
Toronto
Stephen55 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 7:48 am
I would take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt. It is anonymous forum so people are more willing to stretch the truth a little
So what if someone takes your post explaining to take everything on the internet with a grain of salt, with a grain of salt?
Nov 1, 2013
140 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 7:50 am
So what if someone takes your post explaining to take everything on the internet with a grain of salt, with a grain of salt?
:eek:
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
3015 posts
262 upvotes
Kingston
It's there money and they can do whatever they want for it.

I had someone like you complained that I spent $1k on the snap on truck last week for new tools for home. Thought it was a total waste when. I could spent a couple hundred and got some no name tools like jobmate instead. They were noticeably upset and it really showed that they were really bothered by it to a point of being unhealthy. It was probably a good thing I didn't show them a pic of the toolbox they're going in at home ($5k). Then again I make a good wage ($65k as per my t4), mortgage is now paid off, and ZERO credit debt. Also avoiding living anywhere in the GTA cause that $65k means I won't have the lifestyle, and savings I have now. $500k+ for a townhome with 900sq ft in the GTA? no thanks. My house was $300k ish for 2000sq ft.

However the person never got past grade 12 in schooling, work ethic is poor, and no pride and has no issues of using social services within the community with no guilt just because they're LAZY.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Just because someone has a high paying job or lots of money to spend, it doesn't mean that they're a nice person, that they have good taste in what they buy, or that they're less jealous of other people. Look on the bright side, you're at less risk of kidnapping/extortion with your low financial status.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4045 posts
1236 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 7:25 am
Not sure which better describes what I'm trying to ask but being on this forum obviously skews and distorts my view of how people live in the real world. If this site and its members are any indication, it seems people buy stuff with reckless abandonment.

I get the feeling that people of this generation who have been in the working force the last decade or so who are buying luxury sports coupes, living in condos and going out and drinking every weekend fears naught what the economy may be if it hits a rut or if they find themselves without a job due to circumstances beyond their control.

The Automative forums is full of people buying $50k cars. Food forum is full of people trying this and that restaurant. Home forums is full of people buying $500-$800k homes.

May be I'm just exceptionally poor / cheap and cannot appreciate what it is like to have that feeling of carefree spending with a secure job and a cushy rainy day reserve. I see a lot of spending from my 'contemporaries' and it makes me wonder are they really just spend-holics or they must really have a golden goose or a money growing tree in their backyard.

I wish there was a site like broke- ***** -living.com

:D

Canadian consumer debt is at a record high for a reason. It's unsustainable and it will inevitably come crashing down sooner or later.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2047 posts
640 upvotes
Edmonton
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 1st, 2014 7:25 am

Often, I wonder the same thing...not only the expensive cars but trading in every five years for the newest and latest. I think it must be a generational thing. Years ago (not that many), people only had one of everything - house, car, etc. and the homes were modest. For sure, a lot of this has to do with the easy availability of credit.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11972 posts
1742 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Also, a lot of people have priorities on what they would like to spend a lot of money on. Someone who likes cars a lot might spend money on the best tools, but wears stuff from Marks Work Wearhouse. Someone who likes wearing Burberry might spend a lot of money on cologne but just rents a condo in the city. Someone who is thin and wears designer clothes might not spend much money on going out to restaurants because they hardly eat any food.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
4212 posts
1282 upvotes
A lot of those people have wealthy baby-boomer parents.

When they grew up in the good times, they got everything they wanted and more. They want their own children to have that same luxury.

And if the parents grew up poor, they want their children to have a better early adulthood then they did.

The problem is that Globalization has flattened the playing field, and thus for many of them, today will be the best days of their lives.

Don't tell them though. They believe the spend, spend, spend mantra. They are what is keeping up the economy. When the banks stop and say they want to be repaid, then the game of musical chairs will stop.

And if the Bank of Dad ever runs out of money, they'll be eating instant noodles and Bologna Sandwiches like the rest of us. :D :(