Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 7, 2008
729 posts
220 upvotes
Kelowna

SPG/Marriott

here we go again for those of you who collect the points ... from their website:
"In early 2019 we will be introducing peak and off-peak pricing for reward stays. This means that some hotel stays may increase in the number of points necessary to redeem due to increased demand, while others will require less points for stays. This change will impact general points redemption for stays, as well as free night awards earned through our credit card partner programs. To see the new free night award chart that is coming in August and the future peak and off-peak pricing for reward stays, please visit https://members.marriott.com/redeem/."
9 replies
Feb 5, 2017
199 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver
I am waiting for them to announce what category all the hotels will be classified as to better determine if I should book earlier or later
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8869 posts
3074 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Yazzy88 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 12:57 am
I am waiting for them to announce what category all the hotels will be classified as to better determine if I should book earlier or later
Why worry?

Book now and you can always cancel when the announcement comes out if the new rates are to your favour. If not, you would have locked them in.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5622 posts
3200 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
It is what it is

Marriott is not the only hotel program who uses, or who has used a tiering system for their rewards at the same hotel over the course of a year (Peak vs Off Peak)

We belong to many Hotel Loyalty Programs... staying wherever is most convenient / price worthy... we just make sure to keep on top of our annual required activity (be that a stay or points earn / purchase)

Our biggest use is Best Western, Hilton & Marriott / SPG

Do like that Marriott is ramping up some of their other benefits... as it’s always nice to be able to get other perks with membership, or use Points for upgrades, Points & Money, etc

If overall, we feel the program ends up failing to work for us... then we’ll just cash out and move on

Think that is the secret to EVERY LOYALTY / POINTS PROGRAM... realizing that these are perks that come along with Purchase, when it’s not working for you any longer, stop purchasing and go elsewhere
Feb 5, 2017
199 posts
159 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 1:56 am
Why worry?

Book now and you can always cancel when the announcement comes out if the new rates are to your favour. If not, you would have locked them in.
Good point - didn't think about that.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1525 posts
547 upvotes
Tokyo
Points are a depreciating asset, earn and burn!

I'm going to miss SPG, I find Marriott one of the least generous programs (comparing to the big 5 of IHG, Hilton, SPG, Marriott and Hyatt)
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4235 posts
1057 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Jun 11th, 2018 5:28 pm
Points are a depreciating asset, earn and burn!

I'm going to miss SPG, I find Marriott one of the least generous programs (comparing to the big 5 of IHG, Hilton, SPG, Marriott and Hyatt)
Just the opposite for us.

95% of the time we have stayed at a Marriott branded property 15 to 20x. From 2* to 4.5* properties. Some of the higher end properties we wouldn't normally stay at if we had to pay for the room.

Going on an Asia trip soon and burning 440k Marriott pts. Getting roughly 1.73 Cdn cents per pt.

Depreciating asset it is though.
Jan 14, 2017
275 posts
129 upvotes
Speedy1 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 12:24 am
Just the opposite for us.

95% of the time we have stayed at a Marriott branded property 15 to 20x. From 2* to 4.5* properties. Some of the higher end properties we wouldn't normally stay at if we had to pay for the room.

Going on an Asia trip soon and burning 440k Marriott pts. Getting roughly 1.73 Cdn cents per pt.

Depreciating asset it is though.
We love Marriott and we find it very generous!

We redeemed our pt for Ritz Kyoto for cherry blossom next year 7 nights. If we were going to pay, it showed USd$16000 (or use 420000pt out of the 540000pt for travel package) so I believe we ended up getting close to 5 cent per pt.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
4235 posts
1057 upvotes
ChanelJ12 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 2:11 am
We love Marriott and we find it very generous!

We redeemed our pt for Ritz Kyoto for cherry blossom next year 7 nights. If we were going to pay, it showed USd$16000 (or use 420000pt out of the 540000pt for travel package) so I believe we ended up getting close to 5 cent per pt.
5 cents per pt is quite impressive. That's my next goal. Use Marriott pts for a travel package.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4776 posts
383 upvotes
Victoria
I got 11 cents a point once for a hotel in Vancouver lol.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)