Computers & Electronics

Spherex Xbox 5.1 system speakers on regular HT receiver?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2013 7:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1363 posts
42 upvotes

Spherex Xbox 5.1 system speakers on regular HT receiver?

As the title says, can I use my Spherex Xbox speakers on a regular HT receiver until I can buy some new speakers?

I'm sure I'd need a new sub...
http://www.biline.ca/spherex.htm
18 replies
Banned
Dec 6, 2008
771 posts
65 upvotes
Alberta boy
Yes you can do that, and yes you would need to buy a new sub. Only thing is you will need to cut the ends off one end of the speaker wire (unless your new AVR takes RCA ins). Doubt it since very few do.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1363 posts
42 upvotes
FuzzyWuzzy wrote:
Apr 28th, 2009 10:19 pm
Yes you can do that, and yes you would need to buy a new sub. Only thing is you will need to cut the ends off one end of the speaker wire (unless your new AVR takes RCA ins). Doubt it since very few do.
Probably can get an RCA->banana clip adapter...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7205 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
...but why you want to do that ?
I don't think it will significantly improve the sound experience.
Did they Spherex amp die ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1363 posts
42 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote:
Apr 28th, 2009 10:57 pm
...but why you want to do that ?
I don't think it will significantly improve the sound experience.
Did they Spherex amp die ?
Nooo, but it has issues... there's the pop and hiss problems that these sets are known for, also I want to do HDMI switching...

Also no HD audio (I know it's a lolz but still I have the ****ing PS3 and nice TV, might as well get nice sound)...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7205 posts
234 upvotes
Toronto
I saw @ Best Buy a Sony 7.1 HDMI receiver for $299, looks like low end stuff but the function is there for the PS3 - takes LPCM decoded by the PS3.

I was tempted but I have a S550 outputing 7.1 analog for my HD experience to my Z-5500 LOL. I don't think it will take HD sound from my HD-DVD player anyway so I didn't get it.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
1465 posts
31 upvotes
GTA
Sorry to bump this old thread up, but my Spherex amp died and I want to keep the speakers if possible... I was thinking of buying a receiver and sub and hooking up the speakers to the new receiver. I'm considering just cutting the RCA plug off one end of each of the wires, but some of the rear wires are a bit short and I wouldn't mind replacing those... I'm not very good at soldering, so I was wondering if it's possible to buy speaker wire with RCA plugs already on one end?

Other option is to buy the Logitech Z5500 when it goes on sale again, or a cheap HTIB (need something with at least 2 optical inputs, or 1 HDMI input and an optical input). What do you guys think?
Jul 28, 2002
590 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
spherex is out of business...for a reason

they won't work with other receivers etc
ditch the speakers
99% of the stuff I own comes from RFD!
Nov 17, 2008
523 posts
7 upvotes
Halifax, NS
applejuice wrote:
Oct 5th, 2009 1:38 am
spherex is out of business...for a reason

they won't work with other receivers etc
ditch the speakers
Not true if the impedance matches up and you know how to rig it up. Even if the impedance is off, could still rig it up to either cut the load in half or double it. If the speakers sound good, no reason to trash em.
Wanted: Headphone upgrade ideas. Have ATH-M40's and love the higher mid response that the M50's don't seem to have.
Oct 6, 2007
226 posts
17 upvotes
Sorry to revive the thread again but my Spherex amp finally died too.

Anyone else keep the speakers and hook it up to a receiver+sub?

The original speaker wire have RCA connectors. If I cut off one end, would it matter which is positive and negative wires to connect?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2008
7936 posts
890 upvotes
Toronto
begbie wrote:
Dec 30th, 2009 3:28 am
Sorry to revive the thread again but my Spherex amp finally died too.

Anyone else keep the speakers and hook it up to a receiver+sub?

The original speaker wire have RCA connectors. If I cut off one end, would it matter which is positive and negative wires to connect?
i believe it would, if you put the wrong polarity, you're speakers would be out of phase, and it'll sound like crap. If thats the case, i think it'll be very obvious. I don't know for sure because i've never tried.
Oct 6, 2007
226 posts
17 upvotes
As long as the receiver isnt harmed. I'm planning on hooking it up to an H/K receiver.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6324 posts
40 upvotes
3#!@$!@!@#!@#!@$!@#!31

My amp just died too I think. The sound cuts in and out, and is very, very quiet and muffled.

Fudge.

Old thread, but did anyone end up successfully just hooking the speakers up to a new amp??
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
Jul 11, 2005
885 posts
27 upvotes
I have been using the speakers with my old 5.1 Yamaha reciever for couple of yrs now. Bought new speaker wires and soldered the rca plugs.
I still have the amp/sub box and thinking of making into a sub. I think it will make a nice sub.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 28, 2005
6324 posts
40 upvotes
Cant you just insert the wires into banana plugs?

It's a weird issue. The amp turns on fine...and I can put on say..electronic music and it pounds hard. But you cant hear lyrics.

Same thing if I boot up my ps3. You can hear the menu music fine, albeit a little distorted, but you cant hear people talking...like the plate announcements in MLB 2k9.

I guess it's broken, and it's a shame because I absolutely love this system.
shampoo wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2011 7:30 pm
I have been using the speakers with my old 5.1 Yamaha reciever for couple of yrs now. Bought new speaker wires and soldered the rca plugs.
I still have the amp/sub box and thinking of making into a sub. I think it will make a nice sub.
- Private Investigator...contact me for your surveillance needs.
× < >