• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2006 3:16 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts

Spice Racks - Pros and Cons

Just wondering what everyone's favourite mode of spice organisation is. Mine is currently a mess, but I don't think I have the space for a carousel rack, and I don't have an extra drawer, or wall space...

Pro's and cons of various ones available?

Thanks for any input
A good friend will help you move.
A really good friend will help you move a body.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7701 posts
322 upvotes
we use test tube in a tiny rack... nice small and handy for our tiny kitchen :)
Safflon wrote:Just wondering what everyone's favourite mode of spice organisation is. Mine is currently a mess, but I don't think I have the space for a carousel rack, and I don't have an extra drawer, or wall space...

Pro's and cons of various ones available?

Thanks for any input
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2005
2008 posts
2 upvotes
No countertop space for a carousel, no drawer space and no wall rack space? It doesn't sound like you have any space to put your spices! If spices are a priority, you'll need to make some room for them.

I have a carousel with 20 powder/flake spices, plus a spice cabinet for larger bottles and individual containers that I buy.
[OP]
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts
No countertop space for a carousel, no drawer space and no wall rack space? It doesn't sound like you have any space to put your spices! If spices are a priority, you'll need to make some room for them.
I've got a dedicated cupboard above my stove for them, but I'm sick of digging through it to find the spices I want. A carousel will be too tall and won't fit in my cupboard (height of 10"), and I wasn't sure if that was the best way to maximise space. My next option was just to get a basket to pull in and out of the cupboard, but was hoping for a solution with an ease of use to it.

The test tubes looks nice, but i think I would be constantly refilling them, due to their size. I was thinking of a system of "steps" for spices to sit on (so you can see what is in the back), but I've heard that it's a pain in the butt to reach for the ones in the back as you always end up knocking everything else over.

Is the carousel the most space effective? I'll keep looking for a shorter one if that is the case.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13004 posts
3787 upvotes
Homer made his own spice rack, why can't you??? :)

In all seriousness, how many of the spices do you use? If there are 5 or 6 that are primarily used, is it possible to fasten a small spice rack right above your stove on the wall?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
5462 posts
178 upvotes
BC
the two cupboards above the stove are full of spices, along with a nice rack i have on the wall under the cupboards, above the stove, that holds 12 small spice containers... and, cant stop there, i have whats used daily on the back of the stove, plus a pepper mill on the counter by the cutting board! :-0
That's my 2cents worth
Jan 25, 2005
583 posts
41 upvotes
If you have at least one big cupboard I would suggest buying these magnetic spice rack and hook it on the inside of the cabinet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T ... e&n=284507
This way you still maintain all your cupboard space and it'll be easier to find the spices you want. And the size of the container should last you awhile before refilling.
You can buy it at Stokes, I think they sell it for $50.
Jul 29, 2004
27 posts
I use medium sized mason jars. They're tall enough to fill with whole dried chillies. THey are also air-tight...quite handy=)
Sep 8, 2005
37 posts
I got a very nice spice rack for Christmas last year. It's on two steps and holds about 12 jars. It looked awesome! I had it on the counter by the stove. After a couple of months the spices started to get hard and now what's left of them and the spice rack are shoved into the back of the cupboard. I'm surviving on Mrs. Dash.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
2986 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I got most of my spices from Costco in those big bottles, the see through design and large label makes it easy to identify. They tuck away neatly on the shelf and I keep the bottles to hold any non-costco spices. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3301 posts
141 upvotes
Safflon wrote:I've got a dedicated cupboard above my stove for them, but I'm sick of digging through it to find the spices I want. A carousel will be too tall and won't fit in my cupboard (height of 10"), and I wasn't sure if that was the best way to maximise space. My next option was just to get a basket to pull in and out of the cupboard, but was hoping for a solution with an ease of use to it.

The test tubes looks nice, but i think I would be constantly refilling them, due to their size. I was thinking of a system of "steps" for spices to sit on (so you can see what is in the back), but I've heard that it's a pain in the butt to reach for the ones in the back as you always end up knocking everything else over.

Is the carousel the most space effective? I'll keep looking for a shorter one if that is the case.
If you don't want to customize... Costco has a 20 jar spice rack arranged in a grid (ala wine rack) 4x5 with the spices in... for $29.95
[OP]
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts
TrevorK wrote:Homer made his own spice rack, why can't you??? :)

In all seriousness, how many of the spices do you use? If there are 5 or 6 that are primarily used, is it possible to fasten a small spice rack right above your stove on the wall?
Homer made a scary spice rack!

Surprisingly, I use quite a few. There are the spices I use when cooking east indian food (curry, cardomon, cumin, turmeric, coriander, allspice...) mexican stuff like chipotle peppers, baking spices and then the normal basil, thyme, oregano stuff...

Hmmm, maybe I should do a count of my spices first...

There is no room above my stove for any type of spice rack (let alone wall space, I have just enough room to stick my salt and pepper in there) Tiny kitchen have I!
[OP]
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts
TdotO wrote:If you have at least one big cupboard I would suggest buying these magnetic spice rack and hook it on the inside of the cabinet.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T ... e&n=284507
This way you still maintain all your cupboard space and it'll be easier to find the spices you want. And the size of the container should last you awhile before refilling.
You can buy it at Stokes, I think they sell it for $50.
Are they fairly air tight? I envision me trying to open them, and the spices falling everywhere. Are they a screw top lid? and is the front of the spice jar a glass or plastic insert?
[OP]
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts
Cake eater wrote:I use medium sized mason jars. They're tall enough to fill with whole dried chillies. THey are also air-tight...quite handy=)
Do you just put the jars on a tray to pull out when needed? I've got my chillies in an old salsa jar :)
[OP]
Jan 30, 2005
787 posts
ah802 wrote:If you don't want to customize... Costco has a 20 jar spice rack arranged in a grid (ala wine rack) 4x5 with the spices in... for $29.95
Looks good, I don't have the costco membership, but I'll keep my eye out for this one. Thanks.
× < >