• Jan 7th, 2019 9:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
2813 posts
2391 upvotes
Ottawa

Spider-Man PS4 Launch thread

The game officially launches September 7th (Friday). And there's no recent thread here for people to talk hype.

So who is getting it day one? Anybody able to secure the Collector's Edition or are getting the Spider-Man PS4?

I haven't been this excited for a game since God of War PS4. I think it's going to do extraordinary. We'll find out tomorrow; the review embargo for the game lifts tomorrow at 10am EST.
106 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6839 posts
1771 upvotes
I think Red Dead Redemption 2 is clearly going to be the best upcoming game for the rest of 2018.
It will probably come down to game of the year being God of War or Red Dead Redemption 2.

Spider-man might outdo Shadow of the Tomb Raider with critics,
but it seems unlikely since this is Insomniac's first attempt at a licensed superhero game.

I have the Collector's Edition of Spider-man pre-ordered from BB. Also a $50 standard version from Amazon, if that one does not ship in time.
Amazon de-listed it from their website so maybe they are not going to honor those pre-orders.

I watched and like the Spiderman movies except for Spiderman Homecoming.
That movie seemed more like an Ironman movie to me. Other than that, I never read any of the comic books these superhero movies
or games are based on.

Videogame Dunkey's review of Spider-man 3 (the movie):
Nov 19, 2017
478 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
Im pretty hyped for this game. I was hoping they would have a midnight release, but no one is doing one around here. I haven't seen a midnight release being done for any game for a while now on that note.

I haven't been this excited for a Spider-Man game since I played Spider-Man 2 on the PS2. I'm hoping this game can bring back some memories of free roam web slinging around New York City from those days.
Aug 20, 2009
6843 posts
1556 upvotes
Grimsby
Just beat Prey again (man what a game) so I'm all set for this. Between Spider-Man and Dragon Quest XI, I have no idea how I'm going to play RDR2 before Christmas. I just don't think its possible. What a great time to be a gamer!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2210 posts
281 upvotes
Waiting on reviews. Everything I've seen still looks really QTE heavy.

Plus Dragon Quest XI is also out this week.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6839 posts
1771 upvotes
Digital Foundry's analysis: States Spider-Man on PS4 Pro significantly more detailed.

Graphics actually improved over the E3 2017 and E3 2018 demos. Usually games get downgraded in graphics
compared to the reveal trailers. The opposite happened here.

PS4 regular: Dynamic Resolution goes as low as 900p - 1080p max
PS4 Pro: Dynamic resolution 1368p - 1944p max native resolution.

Easy Allies' review:

RiftOfChaos wrote:
Sep 4th, 2018 12:40 pm
87 on metacritic, Sony has another hit!! I can't wait.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstat ... spider-man

This until RDR 2 and then Smash in December is all I need for the rest of the year!
Nov 10, 2016
573 posts
190 upvotes
BC
Still nothing from amazon...as expected...
Shows will ship sept 5 and yet, still no charge in my card...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2013
2813 posts
2391 upvotes
Ottawa
gundamwingZero wrote:
Sep 5th, 2018 2:03 am
Still nothing from amazon...as expected...
Shows will ship sept 5 and yet, still no charge in my card...
Always does that for me. Says mine will ship today too. Spoiler, if you live in an area where you can get an item in less than 24 hours (which you probably do if you're in BC), it'll probably ship out late Thursday and still arrive for Friday.

It's happened to me more times than I care to count.
Ascott wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2018 8:57 pm
Waiting on reviews. Everything I've seen still looks really QTE heavy.

Plus Dragon Quest XI is also out this week.
The reviews are... pretty favorable.

Nov 19, 2017
478 posts
1120 upvotes
Toronto
Any news on midnight releases?

The only one I've heard of so far is the Scarborough EB Games in the GTA.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6360 posts
2435 upvotes
Toronto
Those review scores don't really tell me much because the Batman games got similar scores and those games were all monotonous to me after a certain point. Interested to see what the consensus is after the hype dies down in a few months
Jun 7, 2017
550 posts
818 upvotes
New Brunswick
I'm out in the Maritimes, so the fact it hasn't shipped yet is a worry for me since Prime gives me 2 day shipping at best. Still says arriving Friday though, and my card has the pending charge.

Speaking of Amazon, are we supposed to get the pre-order suits?