PC & Video Games

Spider-Man PS4 Launch thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2019 9:40 pm
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1162 posts
319 upvotes
The game is selling really well but I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. Finished the story and now I'm going for the platinum but kind of feel like I'm forcing myself a little. The game is not a bad game by any stretch but I enjoyed all of the other Spider-Man and Batman games way more. I'd give this game a solid 8/10. Thing is the game doesn't do anything innovative and I couldn't help but roll my eyes as soon as I saw I had to climb towers to unlock parts of the map. Along with the towers and collectibles it feels like I'm playing an Ubisoft game. Just like HZD I thought that was a really fun game but I didn't feel the need to go back for the DLC and probably won't with this game either I don't think.

Like I said, I played all of the previous Spider-Man games and really liked them all including The Amazing Spider-Man sequels and Web of Shadows. I still think that GOW is the better game and GOTY.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2007
1120 posts
191 upvotes
Bryson wrote:
Sep 20th, 2018 6:49 pm
The game is selling really well but I'm kind of disappointed to be honest. Finished the story and now I'm going for the platinum but kind of feel like I'm forcing myself a little. The game is not a bad game by any stretch but I enjoyed all of the other Spider-Man and Batman games way more. I'd give this game a solid 8/10. Thing is the game doesn't do anything innovative and I couldn't help but roll my eyes as soon as I saw I had to climb towers to unlock parts of the map. Along with the towers and collectibles it feels like I'm playing an Ubisoft game. Just like HZD I thought that was a really fun game but I didn't feel the need to go back for the DLC and probably won't with this game either I don't think.

Like I said, I played all of the previous Spider-Man games and really liked them all including The Amazing Spider-Man sequels and Web of Shadows. I still think that GOW is the better game and GOTY.
This game is right where I expect it to be. Soild 8/10 Game. GOW is definitely the better game but hey I get to play both so no need to compare. PS4 is really killing it this gen. Hell I game more on the PS4 than my PC.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:

I find God of War is an objectively better game, but so far I'm having more fun with Spiderman.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7024 posts
3288 upvotes
Toronto
Bryson wrote:

These are the type of honest grounded user reviews I appreciate and value over the paid for marketing campaign media reviews that tell me nothing. Thanks for this
Nov 12, 2014
775 posts
520 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I have 9 more "Crimes" to finish up to 100% the game.....first time i've done that since the first Arkham game. It does get repetitive and boring after a while, though doing these "crimes".
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8740 posts
1268 upvotes
Victoria
I'm kind of envisioning this to be like an inFamous game (having/expanding superpowers) with some modern Horizon Zero Dawn/God of War/Uncharted/Tomb Raider side mission/objectives/collectibles stuff. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Nov 12, 2014
775 posts
520 upvotes
Kingston, ON
zod wrote:
Sep 26th, 2018 6:57 pm
I'm kind of envisioning this to be like an inFamous game (having/expanding superpowers) with some modern Horizon Zero Dawn/God of War/Uncharted/Tomb Raider side mission/objectives/collectibles stuff. Sounds like something I'd enjoy.
Your powers don't really expand, you just unlock different gadgets and moves for combat and swinging along the way.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8740 posts
1268 upvotes
Victoria
I enjoyed this game. Finished it today and will play the DLC next.

It did remind me a little of inFamous. The different sectors (parts of the city) which the different challenges to finish etc.. only difference is you don't need an origin story for spider-man.... but I guess it was someone else origin story :)

I couldn't get into the recent Batman games..... this is probably the first superhero based on marvel (or DC) that I've enjoyed.. Good times.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3642 posts
781 upvotes
Just got this game today and LOVE it, it’s exactly the type of game I was looking for. I got RDR2 last week and found it mind numbingly boring and I really enjoyed the first one. I traded in that game for Spider-Man and my kids love watching me play too. It’s a family affair lol.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2009
1472 posts
353 upvotes
boonjaca wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 9:02 pm
Just got this game today and LOVE it, it’s exactly the type of game I was looking for. I got RDR2 last week and found it mind numbingly boring and I really enjoyed the first one. I traded in that game for Spider-Man and my kids love watching me play too. It’s a family affair lol.
RDR 2 is a slower paced game for sure. It did kind of bother me for the first 8-10 hours, but eventually I came to appreciate it. I think Rockstar was looking to immerse the player better in the world as a 'simulation', and less like a 'videogame' with the way it controls. If it was as fast & twitchy as most games, it would feel more arcadey. Probably more fun, but that's the trade off. It's kind of old school in a way. The story & characters are second to none, and it's what keeps me immersed like 99% of other games can't. I wish there was another developer that could handle dialogue/scripts as well as Rockstar as I don't think there's any game that comes close. If you loved the first, I would seriously recommend giving it another try.

Spider-Man was one of the most fun open world/action games I've ever played. Just like Sunset Overdrive (another Imsomniac game) it's truly fun to traverse around the city and I never felt compelled to use fast travel as I do most open world games after a while. Waiting for the DLC to go on sale again to buy to get back in.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3642 posts
781 upvotes
RDR2 is a beautiful game, I was amazed how great the game looked when I first started playing. I thought I would like it since I really enjoyed the first one which was surprising since I am not a fan of anything western related. I think that's why I didn't enjoy the dialogue as I just didn't care for the genre. Another major gripe I had were minor things like the controls, it would've been nice to be able to access a mini map with a button click and also have the ability to skip cut scenes. I know those are some minor things, which can be fixed with a patch update, but it ultimately affected my enjoyment of the game.

I might give it another try when it eventually hits $20 be it later this year or next year. The manager at EB games was surprised when I returned it using my Edge guarantee.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
4792 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
boonjaca wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 9:17 pm
RDR2 is a beautiful game, I was amazed how great the game looked when I first started playing. I thought I would like it since I really enjoyed the first one which was surprising since I am not a fan of anything western related. I think that's why I didn't enjoy the dialogue as I just didn't care for the genre. Another major gripe I had were minor things like the controls, it would've been nice to be able to access a mini map with a button click and also have the ability to skip cut scenes. I know those are some minor things, which can be fixed with a patch update, but it ultimately affected my enjoyment of the game.

I might give it another try when it eventually hits $20 be it later this year or next year. The manager at EB games was surprised when I returned it using my Edge guarantee.
It will be interesting to see how well Red Dead holds its price.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5167 posts
868 upvotes
calgary
Got the platinum for this over the break.

I genuinely loved this, it was addicting as ever and well it did suffer from your typical open world bloat, the combat and traversal were sublime and the story was pretty enjoyable. By the time I had beat the actual story I only had a some crimes and a few bases left so I decided to just finish it all up.

I played this right on the heels of beating RDR2 such an interesting contrast in game types. Red Dead has one of the most richest fully realized open worlds that I've ever experienced, every NPC in that game has some back story and some life, you could spend hours in that world just exploring if you were inclinced too.
Spiderman is not like that at all, The open world is small -more of a playground actually- and the characters on the streets serve zero purpose and are nothing but paper cut outs to make the world feel real and alive but they are the equivalent of the crowd in a sports game. Spidermans strength are strictly in its game play, the gameplay in RDR only serves to push the narrative forward and push you to explore that world.
kindred_99 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:48 am
It will be interesting to see how well Red Dead holds its price.
I wouldn't count on significant price drops for a while,

Rockstar are notoriously stingy with price, GTA held its value long after release, it wasn't until very recently that it got actual significant price drops.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8740 posts
1268 upvotes
Victoria
I think they were both amazing games. I think the hardest part with RDR2 is chapter 1 was slow and rough. It doesn't start getting good until chapter 2. Sometimes that's the hardest part with a video game. The amount of time you need to start getting into it. Sometimes a game loses you in the first few hours and you never get back to trying again. Hopefully people survive chapter 1 and give RDR a shot.

Spider-Man had no such problem. It was was great and set the tone right from the get go.
Last edited by zod on Jan 7th, 2019 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.