Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Spier & Mackay- Buy 4 dress shirts and save an additional $10/shirt

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 6th, 2017 10:02 pm
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
60 upvotes
wildzero wrote: if its Egyptian cotton you should be fine...those are non-iron
That's the first time I've ever heard Egyptian cotton being synonymous with non-iron.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2208 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
Isn’t this their normal ‘bundle’ promo? I misunderstood and expected an ‘additional’ $10 off..
Nov 21, 2008
765 posts
318 upvotes
The good - I have 6 SM M2M shirts which I like. Unfortunately, their off the rack shirts don't fit me well, but they appear to be relatively high quality for the price (my dad has two and really likes them).

the bad - one of my m2m shirts has a collar which I really dislike and should not have been recommended to me based on what I asked for.

All of the people who work at SM are very nice, but they have terrible logistics. I have had numerous problems on all of my orders.
Aug 23, 2005
693 posts
536 upvotes
Ontario
I bought 4 or 5 of these dress shirts last year after reading all the positives on RFD but my experience was not as great. One had defective stitching. Granted that can happen and I was able to return but it took them forever to send me a return label.

The other shirts while all slim fit and the same size fit quite different on me. I decided to keep them because I thought the overall quality was good. However, I found that they did not last as well as my Black Brown 1826 shirts. As day to day work shirts, the Spier and McKay shirts wrinkle like crazy by the end of the day.

I do have a suit from them though that fits very well off the rack and has served me well.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
backonceagain wrote: They don't have non-iron, so do they crease through the day?
Yes, they crease like crazy.
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
60 upvotes
ar2020 wrote: Yes, they crease like crazy.
That's all the info I need to give this a pass. Thanks. Have an upvote.
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
backonceagain wrote: That's all the info I need to give this a pass. Thanks. Have an upvote.
I bought a bunch but they crease a bunch just hanging in the closet and they're not easy to iron either.
Aug 2, 2016
387 posts
445 upvotes
backonceagain wrote: That's all the info I need to give this a pass. Thanks. Have an upvote.
The owner of Spier and Mackay is quite active on the Styleforum website, replying to people's questions etc.
He often cites that the reason for not adding non-iron is because of the chemicals required in the process of treating the fabric.

Personally I find another advantage of non-iron is that even if they do require ironing, it's so much quicker to get wrinkles and creases out.

That being said, I've ordered Spier and Mackay shirts and have to say they are way better than any off the rack/ department/ chain store shirts you can buy for the money. The value is excellent. The fabric and construction quality are superb. Even "Black Brown 1826" shirts from The Bay, which are great, cost $~50.
Nov 27, 2016
107 posts
60 upvotes
jtsc88 wrote: The owner of Spier and Mackay is quite active on the Styleforum website, replying to people's questions etc.
He often cites that the reason for not adding non-iron is because of the chemicals required in the process of treating the fabric.

Personally I find another advantage of non-iron is that even if they do require ironing, it's so much quicker to get wrinkles and creases out.

That being said, I've ordered Spier and Mackay shirts and have to say they are way better than any off the rack/ department/ chain store shirts you can buy for the money. The value is excellent. The fabric and construction quality are superb. Even "Black Brown 1826" shirts from The Bay, which are great, cost $~50.
Yes, non-iron shirts need to be washed at least once before wearing to help minimize chemical transfer. But decent non-irons are so much easier to iron, and remain crisp through the day. Wearing shirts that appear as if you haven't bothered to iron them is not a good look.
Sep 8, 2008
309 posts
99 upvotes
T.O
I mostly buy my shirts from BR, the quality is not what it use to be. Anyone here ever tried Tom’s place, I hear their ad every morning after the 7.30 news
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2010
1577 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto
Before spier and mackay all my shirts fit baggy and required darting in the back.

My neck and sleeve size just dont seem to jive with a regular chest size.

Having said that I love the shirts I got from SM, though I did have to look at quite a few of them to make sure there were no defects. I had one that had a rust stain on it, and another with a pen mark. Otherwise these fit the best I have ever tried for an OTR shirt

Overlal excellent customer service, am looking to head over to get an OTR suit from them shortly.
Nov 26, 2007
230 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
glib wrote: Stay away from M2M orders. Shirts are good quality but customer service is brutal. If you're lucky enough that OTR fits, might be an option.
What happen to the two Asian guys from before? They had the best customer service. The guys now on the other hand........................
Mar 22, 2017
82 posts
111 upvotes
EdLeafs wrote: How does this compare with shirts from Brooks Brothers? I only buy BB shirts because my company recommended it to me when I didn't know anything about dress shirts. Being able to select the neck and sleeve size makes their shirt a wonderful fit for me overall.
Dunno, but when Brooks Brothers runs their 4 shirts for $200 deals, that's the time to stock up. BB shirts are great at that price point.
Oct 12, 2009
389 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
ESSYMOND wrote: What happen to the two Asian guys from before? They had the best customer service. The guys now on the other hand........................
I think the 2 Asian dudes have been gone for at least a year now. They gave me their honest opinions and knew how a suit should fit. The current employees are nice but I find that they were lacking a bit in the knowledge department... at least that was my impression when I was there earlier this year. Of course, Rikky (the owner?) knows his stuff so you are in good hands if he is there measuring you if you opt to get anything custom.
Nov 26, 2007
230 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
burnout_128 wrote: I think the 2 Asian dudes have been gone for at least a year now. They gave me their honest opinions and knew how a suit should fit. The current employees are nice but I find that they were lacking a bit in the knowledge department... at least that was my impression when I was there earlier this year. Of course, Rikky (the owner?) knows his stuff so you are in good hands if he is there measuring you if you opt to get anything custom.
Ricky is definitely a great guy. I had a shipment come in late and he compensated with a GC. Unfortunate the guys he hired aren't.

Rumours have it the Asian guys opened their own shop, would love to see if anyone can confirm.
Apr 3, 2006
73 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
If you guys are referring to Tommy(the Asian guy), that business will sink.

Rick is the only one you want to talk to at S&M. Their other staff **** up my 350$ shirt order so bad I had to demand my money back after 8 months.

Took my business to Satoria Darzi and never looked back.
Oct 12, 2009
389 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
eLiguL wrote: If you guys are referring to Tommy(the Asian guy), that business will sink.

Rick is the only one you want to talk to at S&M. Their other staff **** up my 350$ shirt order so bad I had to demand my money back after 8 months.

Took my business to Satoria Darzi and never looked back.
To be fair, I never actually ordered anything custom with S&M when the Asian dudes were working there. I only spoke to them about the off the rack offerings and they seemed to give their honest opinions on fit - I've learned a lot since then so I might not hold the same opinion now as I did then.

How to the prices for M2M dress shirts at Satoria Darzi?
Sep 23, 2011
760 posts
693 upvotes
LAVAL
i wear a suit everyday and have tons of dress shirts. IMO the best there is, for under 50$, is the Black and Brown ones from The Bay. You can get 2 for 100$ and they are among the best shirts I've ever worn. Solid material, egyptian cotton, non-iron, hard collars, fit well, nothing to complain.
Aug 12, 2004
694 posts
25 upvotes
GTA
glib wrote: Stay away from M2M orders. Shirts are good quality but customer service is brutal. If you're lucky enough that OTR fits, might be an option.
Agree - stay away like the plague from M2M at S&M. Two straight orders have been butchered and lost in transit. Weak customer service does not help either. OTR shirts are their bread and butter.
Sep 28, 2003
293 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I ended up seeing one of the Asian guys from Spier and Mackay.

He told me everyone at downtown location walked out on the job, all 4 of them because they were tired of getting blamed for Rick's mistakes.

Surely enough the whole downtown staff was gone when I visited there last year.

They were just middle men, they had no control on how the shirt or suit would fit, all they would do is grab measurements and try to be as detailed as possible, Rick was ultimately sending in all the measurements to the factory and ignoring what they had to say.

It got to a point where they said that off the rack shirts were fitting better than custom because all Rick did was add allowances to the measurements instead of following the description they have wrote for him.

Its funny because i had a similar experience, I went in to pick up a custom shirt that was measured by Rick himself, and it came out totally wrong. Then he started to Blame the Asian guys, little did he know that HE TOOK THE MEASUREMENTS HIMSELF!

The Asians were tired of being scrape goats for Rick. Basically when stuff came out wrong, Rick blamed the Asians when things came out right, Rick took all the glory. Rick looked like the hero in all situations because he would be the one fixing his own mistakes.

Asians just seems like genuine nice guys that wanted to help.