Spirit Air

Has anyone fly with Spirit Air?? Would like good or bad feedback
Thanks
22 replies
Penalty Box
Dec 25, 2004
2267 posts
217 upvotes
I have and it was perfectly fine. MUCH better than Air Canada rouge. The seats are better and seem to have more pitch than rouge, even though seatguru says the pitch is less.

I paid $79 US for a round trip flight from RSW to DFW. Note, the seats do not recline (which is great IMHO) and you can only carry on a small personal item. Every thing else you have to pay for. At least they are up front about the experience. Unlike rouge which charges full fares and provides a product worse than Spirit at quadruple the price
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
1993 posts
460 upvotes
peano wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 4:51 pm
I have and it was perfectly fine. MUCH better than Air Canada rouge. The seats are better and seem to have more pitch than rouge, even though seatguru says the pitch is less.

I paid $79 US for a round trip flight from RSW to DFW. Note, the seats do not recline (which is great IMHO) and you can only carry on a small personal item. Every thing else you have to pay for. At least they are up front about the experience. Unlike rouge which charges full fares and provides a product worse than Spirit at quadruple the price
+1 have flown with Spirit a few times since price was right even with the fees factored in and no issues.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15867 posts
1796 upvotes
morg13 wrote:
Jun 11th, 2015 4:29 pm
Has anyone fly with Spirit Air?? Would like good or bad feedback
Thanks
Really bad reviews, worst in the United States, but they're cheap. Set your expectations appropriate, and remember the old adage, you pay for what you get.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1206 posts
82 upvotes
I'm 5-11 and the my knees hit the seat in front of me
- pay for everything including water so keep that in mind if you have kids
- seats do not recline, a couple times the overhead bins were full so had a bag essentially on my lap for flight. So get on plane early.
- make sure you go through their site to know all the fees etc so you are not surprised.

They suck, but they are cheap - so if you can put up with it - do it. I lived in states for few years and used them a often while I was a poor grad student.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
3966 posts
202 upvotes
Sounds like the US version of ryanair.
I've also heard bad things about them but haven't flown them myself.
I'm looking for a NZ Silver Fern Kiwi coin! :)
May 15, 2008
36 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
I have flown Spirit Air at least a dozen times. Every last flight was considerably cheaper than the next cheapest airline.
This is a no frills, "pay-as-you-go" airline. People complain about that. But, that's what Spirit is. If you want the frills, fly another airline and save us your drama.
The fact that nothing is included in the base price ( water, checked bags, 2nd carry-on, seat selection ) means that the very frugal can perfect their art.
I have flown several times from the Spirit Air hub in Fort Lauderdale to various locations in Latin America: Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Peru.
TIP: If you are flexible on your next travel destination, just check to see which destinations are on sale. Sometimes the prices are astoundingly cheap!
Jan 31, 2013
932 posts
112 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Aaarghh, of course us in the west don't get their deals. :evil:
Banned
Dec 30, 1969
869 posts
84 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They are bad because you stuck in Ft. Lauderdale in the middle of the night. When i took spirit the lounge was really crowded and noisy too. So you will be tired for a day or two just because of the flight. Best flight are the ones that leave in the morning. Spirit is red eye. But hey if you are flexible and don't mind then you will save a bunch of money. You can fly to Peru for almost nothing.
Other good thing is you can drive to NF's airport and free parking! They also charge more for luggage by weight so watch out for that one, you can take it as carry on, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6859 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
I've flown 6 round trip segments with spirit all involving IAG-FLL. Spirit is the city bus, don't expect a lot but you get where you are going cheap.

The red eye timing out of niagara I enjoy because you can relax and leave TO after rush hour dies down. Parking is NOT free at niagara anymore.

The seats arn't great, and it's not roomy, you pay for everything so read up on their site before you fly. we've caught fares for $250 w/checked bag to central america. $120 round trip to FLL around family day. Read up on the $9 club before buying and booking in groups with spirit can save you sometimes.

Spirit flights to Miami can make for a good weekend away. As far as central america goes I choose copa air due to their low cost cancel/change fees on economy tickets. Now that cad vs usd is so bad, I wouldn't bother with spirit at least for central/south america.

That said, spirit flies a modern fleet, but if they were faced with unexpected maintenance or poor weather. Spirit does not have extra planes kicking around.

So there is value to flying the big alliance airlines.

IAG is also closer than BUF which is nice.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1032 posts
222 upvotes
Oakville
Just to update an old thread and to share my experience ...

Last week (before March Break) I flew Spirit out of Niagara Falls IAG to Orlando MCO.

Overall the experience was fine. As long as you do your homework and understand what to expect you'll be satisfied with the value. Most of the poor reviews you read online are from ppl who complain about being nickled and dimed b/c they didn't do their research.

The cost of my return flight was a very low US$87 (booked on the $9 fare club) which includes one personal item and a seat on the plane. Luggage is extra and a carry-on costs more than a checked piece. This makes boarding much faster/easier as you are incentivized to check your bag (you get to bring more for less) so fewer ppl bring carry-ons. Consequently there's lots of room in the overhead bins for your personal item, winter coat, etc. Checked luggage allowance is 40 lbs (vs the usual 50 lbs) and you'll pay big time if you go over. There were scales at both ends for you to pre-weigh your stuff.

Seat pitch was tight (1 inch less than AC Rouge). Onboard don't expect any included food/beverage. "Food" available for purchase is pure junk (chips, popcorn, candy/chocolate bars, etc.) so if you want something somewhat wholesome then bring your own. Lots of alcoholic drink "packages" available too.

Seats are pre-assigned. You don't get to choose (even at checkin) unless you pay. Our booking of four were all seated together.
Seats don't recline, there is no entertainment.

IAG was recently modernized and is a nice small airport with jet bridge boarding. There is a long term parking lot beside the terminal but it was full. There's a separate offsite lot with shuttle service (run by the airport) so plan accordingly.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
1736 posts
302 upvotes
The only thing that threw me for a loop was the lack of recline in the chairs.. which makes it very uncomfortable as it felt as if I was almost leaning forward in my seat, using the seat tray to hold my tablet to watch movies was rough on the neck

Being 6'2 195lbs I'm tall but not a big guy, it was not exactly a comfortable 3 hour flight, but for the price I can't complain

Tip - Costco sells a small travel bag with extending arm and wheels for about $36, the size of it fits perfectly with Spirit's definition of a personal item, was able to pack clothes for 5 days and not pay any extra fees
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2006
1023 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
Eldorado wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 2:12 pm
The only thing that threw me for a loop was the lack of recline in the chairs.. which makes it very uncomfortable as it felt as if I was almost leaning forward in my seat, using the seat tray to hold my tablet to watch movies was rough on the neck

Being 6'2 195lbs I'm tall but not a big guy, it was not exactly a comfortable 3 hour flight, but for the price I can't complain

Tip - Costco sells a small travel bag with extending arm and wheels for about $36, the size of it fits perfectly with Spirit's definition of a personal item, was able to pack clothes for 5 days and not pay any extra fees
I saw a family of like 7 all with that bag. They are changing the personal item size and it won't qualify after, I think some time in April.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
2766 posts
706 upvotes
Moncton
wackojacko wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 11:34 pm
I saw a family of like 7 all with that bag. They are changing the personal item size and it won't qualify after, I think some time in April.
That's a weird dimension change. 2 inches more in one direction, 4 less in the other.
This is something like a small backpack or purse that fits entirely in the smaller sizer box (16"x14"x12"). For travel after 4/3/2017, max dimensions are 18"x14"x8".
https://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices

Take a look at New Leaf , Allegiant and especially WOW's free bag dimensions before you splurge on new luggage.

By the way, Google Chrome has a nice currency conversion tool. Just Google Currency Converter while using Chrome on your computer or mobile device.
Clicking on "Thanks" is appreciated.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel