None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31827 posts
8190 upvotes
GTHA

[SPOILERS] The Expanse airs on Space; Officially Revived for Season 4 at Amazon

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos made the announcement himself during an event at the National Space Society. The Expanse showrunner Cas Anvar tweeted out the moment which was greeted by huge applause from the audience and a visibly elated cast and crew who were also in attendance.

Official press release (via THR)
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... on-1115160

“Game of Thrones In Space”: Watch the Trailer for James S. A. Corey’s The Expanse

Last edited by tk1000 on Jan 15th, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 9 times in total.
139 replies
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
I could be wrong, but wasn't Dune a sort of "Game of Thrones In Space" - around the time the GoT books were being written?
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10595 posts
963 upvotes
Mississauga
Tornado F2 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2015 10:11 pm
I could be wrong, but wasn't Dune a sort of "Game of Thrones In Space" - around the time the GoT books were being written?
No, since the original Dune novels were written decades before George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels.

What's the budget for The Expanse? It looks kinda cheap, a bit like Babylon 5 from the 90s.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17035 posts
418 upvotes
that did not impress me... it looked kinda cruddy and poorly acted.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Talamasca wrote:
Jan 16th, 2015 12:20 am
No, since the original Dune novels were written decades before George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire novels.

What's the budget for The Expanse? It looks kinda cheap, a bit like Babylon 5 from the 90s.
I read that George R.R. Martin used a word processor from the 1980s when writing GoT. I figured the books must be that old too. But since Dune was earlier, maybe GoT is Dune in a different setting?

As for B5, that was an excellent show in its later seasons, with the leadup investment really paying off. But then the studio killed its sequel after just one season, leaving Earth infected with plague and no hope of a cure. Way to go studio execs. We're doomed! :)

Maybe they should give the sequel, Excalibur, another shot. Though they'll obviously need a new cast.
12 months for condemning rape. 6 months for calling violent thugs "nasty". WTH? Is this IS?
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17035 posts
418 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2015 9:34 pm
I read that George R.R. Martin used a word processor from the 1980s when writing GoT. I figured the books must be that old too. But since Dune was earlier, maybe GoT is Dune in a different setting?

As for B5, that was an excellent show in its later seasons, with the leadup investment really paying off. But then the studio killed its sequel after just one season, leaving Earth infected with plague and no hope of a cure. Way to go studio execs. We're doomed! :)

Maybe they should give the sequel, Excalibur, another shot. Though they'll obviously need a new cast.
Excalibur seemed really forced though and Im a huge B5 fan
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10595 posts
963 upvotes
Mississauga
Tornado F2 wrote:
Jan 16th, 2015 9:34 pm
A Game of Thrones (the first novel) was published in 1996. Dune was published in 1965, over 30 years earlier. I'm sure Martin was in part influenced by Dune, as it is one of the most well known scifi novels ever. That being said, one need only look to history to see the real life game of thrones being played out. Many great civilizations have been shaped by bloody power struggles amongst the noble elite, which has shaped countless works of literature.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Super strokey wrote:
Jan 16th, 2015 9:58 pm
Excalibur seemed really forced though and Im a huge B5 fan
Maybe, but S1 of B5 took a while to get going too. I had faith in Straczynski coming up with another good show, since so much background was already established through B5. Even B5 was bounced around too much between networks/stations though. Given major network support it could have been even better.
Banned
Jan 29, 2013
104 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I don't like their leviathan wakes series but their star wars book is pretty good, this looks good though.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9873 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto
I think the show got some good buzz after the pilot screened at Comic Con

Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
66 upvotes
Well, I really hope they don't treat it like Ascension. If this show gets a wacky schedule like Ascension, then we know it's dead already.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3109 posts
519 upvotes
GTA
Saw the first episode. 1 word "awesome"

Syfy finally decided to spend some money, probably the best cgi I've seen in a tv show in a long time. Story seems interesting and interiors of ships are awesome. Also some things seem very realistic, like the gravity or a moment in the show where the ship accelerates they have to prepare by putting in mouthguards etc. Can't wait for episode 2. And NO it's nothing like game of thrones. Completely different story and vibe.

Also the actor that played the punisher is in this, perfect casting for the character he's portraying. Seems like he'll be my favorite character in the show.