• Jan 25th, 2022 8:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
That's too bad... This show is IMO a step above the budget Canadian SciFi shows like Dark Matter (which I also enjoyed), but it's too bad it couldn't retain viewers. I hope a streaming service picks it up... In fact, wouldn't this be a good way for Amazon to tie in physical sales (books) with the show?

Also, can we talk about the elephant in the room, and address the fact that mainstream network SciFi shows just don't last... Probably because its viewers in general likely don't even subscribe to traditional TV anymore? Thoughts? The few friends I have who watch this show all pirate it...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4673 upvotes
Between Countries
Dammit, that's sad news. IMO, one of the smartest SF shows made. Not enough force-projection saber batlles I suppose.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
M1GOmigs wrote: That's too bad... This show is IMO a step above the budget Canadian SciFi shows like Dark Matter (which I also enjoyed), but it's too bad it couldn't retain viewers. I hope a streaming service picks it up... In fact, wouldn't this be a good way for Amazon to tie in physical sales (books) with the show?

Also, can we talk about the elephant in the room, and address the fact that mainstream network SciFi shows just don't last... Probably because its viewers in general likely don't even subscribe to traditional TV anymore? Thoughts? The few friends I have who watch this show all pirate it...
That's a definite problem with SciFi shows. The crowd most likely (and capable) to pirate it are probably the prime audience for it. Not sure if Amazon picks it up. Similar to people wanting Netflix to pick up Dark Matter, if the viewership doesn't look that big, streaming companies might not be that eager to pay for it.
Jan 15, 2017
353 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
M1GOmigs wrote: Also, can we talk about the elephant in the room, and address the fact that mainstream network SciFi shows just don't last... Probably because its viewers in general likely don't even subscribe to traditional TV anymore? Thoughts? The few friends I have who watch this show all pirate it...
Yep. I download the shows and buy the Blurays, but I will not subscribe to cable TV for it. Seems like SyFy got a shitty deal if they only got first showing rights to it.

Anyway I fully expected it. It's sci-fi done well, which by definition means it lacks mass appeal. It's awesome that we got at least 3 seasons of it. At least we still have the books.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2317 posts
1091 upvotes
Sad news indeed, this show is much better than the crappy walking poop. Very realistic space ships, settings and even the soap opera bwtn competing powers. I was taking a liking to that Martian marine, big but nice curves. lol

All the characters just fit and seem right, hope Netflix attains the rights.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19241 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
Ah crap!!!!!!

I just saw this week's episode and it was great! Always leave it to SyFy to cancel a great show. Next up, more low budget Stargate.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
chimaican wrote: Ah crap!!!!!!

I just saw this week's episode and it was great! Always leave it to SyFy to cancel a great show. Next up, more low budget Stargate.
Probably not? SciFi doesn't own Stargate. I think SyFy wants to make new properties that they completely own and develop. That way they have multiple revenue streams (not just TV ads) to see their wares.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3681 posts
2388 upvotes
Mississauga
Great show. I hope someone else picks it up.
jenviea wrote: It's strange I think I saw a censored version of the fourth episode where you barely see what the kid did to the nurse(?) whereas the Innerspace recap had all the gruesome gore

https://www.space.ca/show/innerspace/cl ... 6558/1027/
I watched the full episode off space.ca and it was not censored. Maybe the broadcast version?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7476 upvotes
RFD
No way, I hope it doesn't die, such a good show than the other crap on television these days. Why do they keep cancelling good shows?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote: No way, I hope it doesn't die, such a good show than the other crap on television these days. Why do they keep cancelling good shows?
Not enough people are watching it, and they don't have an unlimited budget to just make anything they want, especially if the ratings for a show are low.

Ratings are only counted for the live showing too and I feel like many people just PVR or worse, pirate the show. I know I'm guilty of PVR / watching on demand after because I watch The Americans on Wednesday nights.

What a shame.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4673 upvotes
Between Countries
"You're not that guy". "I am that guy". Hands down, the last episode was the best of the series and that's saying loads in a series filled with great episodes. It would be a great disservice to the TV SF genre if no one picks it up. Apparently SyFy only gets profit on first/live views and nothing on streams. I get it - perhaps SyFy needs to be better negotiators or build a better revenue model rather than getting a reputation of cancelling good content.

I heard that NetFlix passed on it. So does that leave Amazon?

C'mon, it's difficult for me to accept they'll leave the next phase, Abaddon's Gate, hanging. All else before is really just a prologue. We're now two books in in an eight book series.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Not enough people are watching it, and they don't have an unlimited budget to just make anything they want, especially if the ratings for a show are low.

Ratings are only counted for the live showing too and I feel like many people just PVR or worse, pirate the show. I know I'm guilty of PVR / watching on demand after because I watch The Americans on Wednesday nights.

What a shame.
You haven't seen low until you see the ratings for The Outcast. Under 150k watch it live. They're still alive because the producers also do The Walking Dead.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2010
1290 posts
476 upvotes
I've been having these build up on PVR as I've been watching a lot of Stanley Cup - for those that have watched, does it end on a cliffhanger - never to be solved?
That happened on Dark Matter and I was really pissed off.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Psychopathetic wrote: I've been having these build up on PVR as I've been watching a lot of Stanley Cup - for those that have watched, does it end on a cliffhanger - never to be solved?
That happened on Dark Matter and I was really pissed off.
the creators promise an end to the current season that will both satisfy fans and leave the door open for more.

from What really killed “The Expanse,” one of the best-reviewed sci-fi series on TV
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Bring back BSG and my life is complete
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7070 posts
3384 upvotes
daivey wrote: Bring back BSG and my life is complete
it'll be a re-reimagining then. Wouldn't even be with same cast since all of them are now over 45.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
badOne wrote: it'll be a re-reimagining then. Wouldn't even be with same cast since all of them are now over 45.
true
im waiting for a BSG viper sim.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)