Dec 7, 2012
30625 posts
7550 upvotes
GTHA
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 6:19 pm
Syfy orders a third season :)
http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/16/syfy-expanse-season-3/
This could be the last season if ratings do not improve...

"Syfy recently renewed The Expanse for a third season, but a fourth season seems unlikely if the ratings don’t improve. Science fiction editor John Joseph Adams watches every episode of The Expanse, and he’s annoyed that he isn’t being counted by the Nielsen ratings."
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/geeks-gui ... expanse-2/
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
15048 posts
1835 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2017 3:59 pm
This could be the last season if ratings do not improve...

"Syfy recently renewed The Expanse for a third season, but a fourth season seems unlikely if the ratings don’t improve. Science fiction editor John Joseph Adams watches every episode of The Expanse, and he’s annoyed that he isn’t being counted by the Nielsen ratings."
https://www.wired.com/2017/03/geeks-gui ... expanse-2/
Do Nielsen ratings really not count online views? I bought the second season before it came out and I watch every week. It'd be a shame if a show that's popular with a tech-savvy audience that doesn't watch conventional TV gets cancelled because the ratings only count TV watchers.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7927 posts
890 upvotes
Victoria
Piro21 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2017 2:44 pm
Do Nielsen ratings really not count online views? I bought the second season before it came out and I watch every week. It'd be a shame if a show that's popular with a tech-savvy audience that doesn't watch conventional TV gets cancelled because the ratings only count TV watchers.
I read the article. The author is asking people to buy it on iTunes/Amazon. I get the feeling (if I read between the lines), that not enough people are paying to watch the show.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9430 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
Season finale tonight
So much mass murder on this show
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9430 posts
1995 upvotes
Toronto
Season three debuts April

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7061 posts
933 upvotes
wait, is season 2 out? season 3 soon?

i thought this was a Netflix show (saw 1st season on there)

was waiting for season 2 to pop out forever ago
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
30625 posts
7550 upvotes
GTHA
Buggy166 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 8:50 pm
wait, is season 2 out? season 3 soon?

i thought this was a Netflix show (saw 1st season on there)

was waiting for season 2 to pop out forever ago
Space (Bell Media) has paid for the Canadian rights to this show. You need CraveTV to watch season 2.

Read https://www.justwatch.com/ca/tv-show/the-expanse
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4341 posts
666 upvotes
Aurora
I'm looking forward to Season 3 and hopefully, a Season 4. The thing with these shows, though, is that I find they take way too much time between seasons and whatever momentum that was built up is lost. I don't even remember how season 2 ended. I realise these are big budget, big effort shows but unless it already has huge momentum like Game of Thrones (and I already find it ridiculous when Season 8 is scheduled arrive), it's difficult for lower profile shows to catch on. Into the Badlands and Daredevil also come to mind as excellent shows with intolerably long wait times.
Last edited by DiceMan on Feb 24th, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27954 posts
3678 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Didn’t season 2 end with the Martian defecting to Earth and a big shoot out on the space station?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6411 posts
2131 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
General rule it seems when it comes to SyFy; if the show's production costs are high they will cancel the show regardless of rating or how great the show is.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6411 posts
2131 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Gee wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 12:39 pm
Didn’t season 2 end with the Martian defecting to Earth and a big shoot out on the space station?
The manned mission to Venus to investigate the crashed asteroid crashes on Venus' surface.

The defector Martian marine (Draper) escapes with Chrisjen after being held hostage.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Jan 15, 2017
165 posts
30 upvotes
I'm glad we are getting at least 3 seasons. I think these "hard"(er) sci-fi shows have less mass appeal than your typical superhero/starwars show to begin with. Bought all the Blurays to show my support.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
27954 posts
3678 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
chimaican wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 1:56 pm
General rule it seems when it comes to SyFy; if the show's production costs are high they will cancel the show regardless of rating or how great the show is.
What about Kill Joys? The 100? 12 Monkeys? Dark Matter?

Some of those shows seem to run its course and they keep coming back.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7927 posts
890 upvotes
Victoria
Gee wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 3:05 pm
What about Kill Joys? The 100? 12 Monkeys? Dark Matter?

Some of those shows seem to run its course and they keep coming back.
Dark Matter got canceled right after a cliffhanger. Sci-Fi did make a good argument. They didn't own the full rights to it. Thus they didn't have the rights to earn extra revenues from alternative revenue streams (physical media, streaming, international broadcast rights etc..). Something like Killjoys they do in house, so they can earn all the revenue streams from it.

Given how low TV ratings are getting, they need all the revenues they can get, so I'm guessing, going forward, they'll want to make most/all of their productions in house so they make all the money.

Where does The Expanse fall into that? I'm not sure?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)