[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31830 posts
8190 upvotes
GTHA
zod wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 3:36 pm
Dark Matter got canceled right after a cliffhanger. Sci-Fi did make a good argument. They didn't own the full rights to it. Thus they didn't have the rights to earn extra revenues from alternative revenue streams (physical media, streaming, international broadcast rights etc..). Something like Killjoys they do in house, so they can earn all the revenue streams from it.

Given how low TV ratings are getting, they need all the revenues they can get, so I'm guessing, going forward, they'll want to make most/all of their productions in house so they make all the money.

Where does The Expanse fall into that? I'm not sure?
KILLJOYS is produced by Temple Street Productions in association with Bell Media and Syfy.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/space- ... -killjoys/

Temple Street Productions is a leading producer of television, film and digital media content based in Toronto, Canada. A selection of Temple Street’s past and present projects include ORPHAN BLACK (BBC America, Space), BEING ERICA (CBC, SOAPnet), THE NEXT STEP (Family Channel), WINGIN’ IT (Family Channel), OVER THE RAINBOW (CBC), RECIPE TO RICHES (CBC), COVER ME CANADA (CBC), BILLABLE HOURS (Global, Showcase), CANADA’S NEXT TOP MODEL (CTV), HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA? (CBC), QUEER AS FOLK (Showtime, Showcase), and DARCY’S WILD LIFE (NBC, Discovery Kids, Family Channel).

THE EXPANSE is produced and financed by Alcon Television Group and distributed by Legendary Television Distribution, a business unit of Legendary Entertainment.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/space- ... r-expanse/

Legendary Entertainment is a leading media company with film (Legendary Pictures), television and digital (Legendary Television and Digital Media) and comics (Legendary Comics) divisions dedicated to owning, producing and delivering content to mainstream audiences with a targeted focus on the powerful fandom demographic. Through complete or joint ownership, Legendary has built a library of marquee media properties and has established itself as a trusted brand which consistently delivers high-quality, commercial entertainment including some of the world’s most popular intellectual property. In aggregate, Legendary Pictures-associated productions have realized grosses of more than $12 billion worldwide at the box office.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8118 posts
961 upvotes
Victoria
That makes it sound like The Expanse falls into the category, of SyFy just pays for it. They don't aren't involved with producing/creating it? Makes it sound like it's similar to how Dark Matter was done :(
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8118 posts
961 upvotes
Victoria
Buggy166 wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 8:13 pm
oh nice. i could do that but i thought Netflix killed off VPNs....or is that only for the US?
It's whack a mole with VPNs. Netflix bans the IP, the VPN changes the IP.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
31830 posts
8190 upvotes
GTHA
Syfy has released a second trailer for the third season.
The third season kicks off April 11th on Syfy.

Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6837 posts
2678 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Good episode last night. That Martian marine kicks ass. I like her character.

Naomi came across as a whiny little B last night. Seems like she only cares about her own self.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8118 posts
961 upvotes
Victoria
Same excuse they gave for dark matter. Can't make enough off a show unless it's something they make in house. IE they aren't comfortable only making the ad revenue. They need streaming, physical, and digital sales to help battle declining live viewership :(
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3442 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
That's too bad... This show is IMO a step above the budget Canadian SciFi shows like Dark Matter (which I also enjoyed), but it's too bad it couldn't retain viewers. I hope a streaming service picks it up... In fact, wouldn't this be a good way for Amazon to tie in physical sales (books) with the show?

Also, can we talk about the elephant in the room, and address the fact that mainstream network SciFi shows just don't last... Probably because its viewers in general likely don't even subscribe to traditional TV anymore? Thoughts? The few friends I have who watch this show all pirate it...
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
4850 posts
1072 upvotes
Aurora
Dammit, that's sad news. IMO, one of the smartest SF shows made. Not enough force-projection saber batlles I suppose.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8118 posts
961 upvotes
Victoria
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 11th, 2018 10:54 am
That's too bad... This show is IMO a step above the budget Canadian SciFi shows like Dark Matter (which I also enjoyed), but it's too bad it couldn't retain viewers. I hope a streaming service picks it up... In fact, wouldn't this be a good way for Amazon to tie in physical sales (books) with the show?

Also, can we talk about the elephant in the room, and address the fact that mainstream network SciFi shows just don't last... Probably because its viewers in general likely don't even subscribe to traditional TV anymore? Thoughts? The few friends I have who watch this show all pirate it...
That's a definite problem with SciFi shows. The crowd most likely (and capable) to pirate it are probably the prime audience for it. Not sure if Amazon picks it up. Similar to people wanting Netflix to pick up Dark Matter, if the viewership doesn't look that big, streaming companies might not be that eager to pay for it.
Jan 15, 2017
207 posts
50 upvotes
Vancouver
M1GOmigs wrote:
May 11th, 2018 10:54 am
Yep. I download the shows and buy the Blurays, but I will not subscribe to cable TV for it. Seems like SyFy got a shitty deal if they only got first showing rights to it.

Anyway I fully expected it. It's sci-fi done well, which by definition means it lacks mass appeal. It's awesome that we got at least 3 seasons of it. At least we still have the books.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1568 posts
309 upvotes
Sad news indeed, this show is much better than the crappy walking poop. Very realistic space ships, settings and even the soap opera bwtn competing powers. I was taking a liking to that Martian marine, big but nice curves. lol

All the characters just fit and seem right, hope Netflix attains the rights.