• Jan 25th, 2022 8:21 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
8455 posts
2000 upvotes
wait, is season 2 out? season 3 soon?

i thought this was a Netflix show (saw 1st season on there)

was waiting for season 2 to pop out forever ago
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Buggy166 wrote: wait, is season 2 out? season 3 soon?

i thought this was a Netflix show (saw 1st season on there)

was waiting for season 2 to pop out forever ago
Space (Bell Media) has paid for the Canadian rights to this show. You need CraveTV to watch season 2.

Read https://www.justwatch.com/ca/tv-show/the-expanse
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
I'm looking forward to Season 3 and hopefully, a Season 4. The thing with these shows, though, is that I find they take way too much time between seasons and whatever momentum that was built up is lost. I don't even remember how season 2 ended. I realise these are big budget, big effort shows but unless it already has huge momentum like Game of Thrones (and I already find it ridiculous when Season 8 is scheduled arrive), it's difficult for lower profile shows to catch on. Into the Badlands and Daredevil also come to mind as excellent shows with intolerably long wait times.
Last edited by DiceMan on Feb 24th, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
General rule it seems when it comes to SyFy; if the show's production costs are high they will cancel the show regardless of rating or how great the show is.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
Gee wrote: Didn’t season 2 end with the Martian defecting to Earth and a big shoot out on the space station?
The manned mission to Venus to investigate the crashed asteroid crashes on Venus' surface.

The defector Martian marine (Draper) escapes with Chrisjen after being held hostage.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Jan 15, 2017
353 posts
229 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm glad we are getting at least 3 seasons. I think these "hard"(er) sci-fi shows have less mass appeal than your typical superhero/starwars show to begin with. Bought all the Blurays to show my support.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38389 posts
12010 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
chimaican wrote: General rule it seems when it comes to SyFy; if the show's production costs are high they will cancel the show regardless of rating or how great the show is.
What about Kill Joys? The 100? 12 Monkeys? Dark Matter?

Some of those shows seem to run its course and they keep coming back.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Gee wrote: What about Kill Joys? The 100? 12 Monkeys? Dark Matter?

Some of those shows seem to run its course and they keep coming back.
Dark Matter got canceled right after a cliffhanger. Sci-Fi did make a good argument. They didn't own the full rights to it. Thus they didn't have the rights to earn extra revenues from alternative revenue streams (physical media, streaming, international broadcast rights etc..). Something like Killjoys they do in house, so they can earn all the revenue streams from it.

Given how low TV ratings are getting, they need all the revenues they can get, so I'm guessing, going forward, they'll want to make most/all of their productions in house so they make all the money.

Where does The Expanse fall into that? I'm not sure?
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
zod wrote: Dark Matter got canceled right after a cliffhanger. Sci-Fi did make a good argument. They didn't own the full rights to it. Thus they didn't have the rights to earn extra revenues from alternative revenue streams (physical media, streaming, international broadcast rights etc..). Something like Killjoys they do in house, so they can earn all the revenue streams from it.

Given how low TV ratings are getting, they need all the revenues they can get, so I'm guessing, going forward, they'll want to make most/all of their productions in house so they make all the money.

Where does The Expanse fall into that? I'm not sure?
KILLJOYS is produced by Temple Street Productions in association with Bell Media and Syfy.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/space- ... -killjoys/

Temple Street Productions is a leading producer of television, film and digital media content based in Toronto, Canada. A selection of Temple Street’s past and present projects include ORPHAN BLACK (BBC America, Space), BEING ERICA (CBC, SOAPnet), THE NEXT STEP (Family Channel), WINGIN’ IT (Family Channel), OVER THE RAINBOW (CBC), RECIPE TO RICHES (CBC), COVER ME CANADA (CBC), BILLABLE HOURS (Global, Showcase), CANADA’S NEXT TOP MODEL (CTV), HOW DO YOU SOLVE A PROBLEM LIKE MARIA? (CBC), QUEER AS FOLK (Showtime, Showcase), and DARCY’S WILD LIFE (NBC, Discovery Kids, Family Channel).

THE EXPANSE is produced and financed by Alcon Television Group and distributed by Legendary Television Distribution, a business unit of Legendary Entertainment.
http://www.bellmedia.ca/pr/press/space- ... r-expanse/

Legendary Entertainment is a leading media company with film (Legendary Pictures), television and digital (Legendary Television and Digital Media) and comics (Legendary Comics) divisions dedicated to owning, producing and delivering content to mainstream audiences with a targeted focus on the powerful fandom demographic. Through complete or joint ownership, Legendary has built a library of marquee media properties and has established itself as a trusted brand which consistently delivers high-quality, commercial entertainment including some of the world’s most popular intellectual property. In aggregate, Legendary Pictures-associated productions have realized grosses of more than $12 billion worldwide at the box office.
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
That makes it sound like The Expanse falls into the category, of SyFy just pays for it. They don't aren't involved with producing/creating it? Makes it sound like it's similar to how Dark Matter was done :(
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Buggy166 wrote: oh nice. i could do that but i thought Netflix killed off VPNs....or is that only for the US?
It's whack a mole with VPNs. Netflix bans the IP, the VPN changes the IP.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
Syfy has released a second trailer for the third season.
The third season kicks off April 11th on Syfy.

Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19239 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
Good episode last night. That Martian marine kicks ass. I like her character.

Naomi came across as a whiny little B last night. Seems like she only cares about her own self.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Same excuse they gave for dark matter. Can't make enough off a show unless it's something they make in house. IE they aren't comfortable only making the ad revenue. They need streaming, physical, and digital sales to help battle declining live viewership :(

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)