[Sport Chek] ASICS Men's Gel Rocket 7 Indoor Court Shoes $54.96

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 3:16 pm
Jul 11, 2007
212 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
thanks OP, order a pair for badminton.
I like to know how this compare to yonex as well, since the return policy at sportchek is good so i am not worry too much. if the shoes is too heavy then i will return it.
I am no where near playing professional level, nor aggressive. I do enjoy playing in club with friends weekly, and I enjoy having proper equipment and support, I am aging!! but below are some of my personal observation/opinion after owning both Yonex and Asics, I hope it helps others to decide, but disclaimer, I am not profession in badminton, rehab, sport injury, or selling shoes ;)

from my experiences, 3 pairs of yonex shoe i own are about 30-50g lighter per feet compare to Asics. my current shoes is a pair of cheapo yonex Power Cushion 35. after i realize they do not last longer than Asics, I decided to get the cheaper one to save $$$. Yonex is definitely lighter, the support on the area the feet contact with floor is adequate, i prefer more support, and I assume it's a trade off between weight and thicker cushion at sole area. I do miss the feeling of wearing Asics. the Yonex offer a bit more support at the ankle area, maybe a bit higher in that area, I don't know how much actual differences this made on the actual playing on the court. MOST, if not all, players that I see, wear Yonex, so far I had been lucky, no ankle issue with Asics or Yonex, I had seen other players roll their ankles in their yonex shoes but since I am the only guy with Asics I wasn't able to see others roll over in that brand; I was told, combination of wrong foot work, fatigue over aggressiveness contribute to these injury.
like i said earlier, if this pair is too heavy then i will return to sportchek.
at the same time, anyone know what make a shoes having good "lateral support" ?
thanks
Jul 11, 2007
212 posts
17 upvotes
GTA
cpyleitz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:25 pm
"Absolutely" coming from an OFSAA single finalist training 6 days a week wearing addidas court shoes. What gets people hurt and injured is the lack of footwork mostly.
do you mean absolutely YES?
what the the pattern on Addidas? I know Yonex had a very different vs Asics. I once was told, that volleyball shoes are design for stability, as player does not move often; where feet on badminton court are constantly on the move. but then I wonder if the pattern on the shoes make that much differences?
thanks
Dec 27, 2011
216 posts
42 upvotes
CALGARY
Not going to order cause I have a pair but thanked anyways, awesome price.

I wore these for badminton for a few months but I had to stop because it was leaving the outside part of my right foot sore (even painful depending on how pressure is applied on it) all the time. I started wearing my old basketball shoes (Kobe 6) instead and in time my foot started feeling normal again. I haven't wore the Gel Rockets since, but maybe I should give it another chance.
Nov 8, 2012
213 posts
61 upvotes
London, ON
L4cky wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 9:56 am
What's a good price for Yonex?
They vary - around $80-$160 really, depends on the model
Nov 8, 2012
213 posts
61 upvotes
London, ON
another thing i forgot to mention is watch for the re-enforced Toe when buying shoes for Badminton or Squash - many players foot drag, and volleyball shoes are not protected or strengthened at the toe or side, so you'll wear and tear those parts down easily
Jun 14, 2016
51 posts
7 upvotes
Calgary
I saw Asics and I clicked, too bad they're court shoes. Good deal nonetheless. +1
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2008
1137 posts
784 upvotes
Langley, BC
would be nice if OP posted a regular link instead of affil crap.
Aug 1, 2005
474 posts
54 upvotes
stilltippin wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 12:11 pm
another thing i forgot to mention is watch for the re-enforced Toe when buying shoes for Badminton or Squash - many players foot drag, and volleyball shoes are not protected or strengthened at the toe or side, so you'll wear and tear those parts down easily
100% agree. Especially if you play competitively. I like the Asics and Mizuno alot, but I don't like the ones that have full mesh toe covering, I bust out of them too easily from all the jumping. Look for the ones with more trim, less fabric/mesh, and a higher toe-protector piece (serve toe-drag) as you have suggested if you want them to last longer.

That said, these are cheap... there is a green pair size 12 on clearance for even less.

Canuckstuff usually has clearance sales of last year's models for similar prices. Availability varies.
Aug 1, 2005
474 posts
54 upvotes
MAR-TYR-DOM wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:45 am
As someone who suffers from chronic ankle instability (ankle sprains easily) I have been looking for something like this for a while.

For playing a sport like indoor ball hockey, would the Yonex Men's SHB 55 Indoor Court Shoes be better than ASICS Men's Gel Rocket 7 ?

Lateral support and protection around the toe areas are important factors for me (so fewer ventilation areas the better).
A lot of volleyball players play with ankle braces full-time. I wear the higher end active ankle hard braces for volleyball and I use them for softball as well due to poor diamond conditions.
Dec 11, 2003
829 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
cpyleitz wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:03 pm
that depends if you're good at badminton. Court shoes are court shoes.
I don't know why the downvotes. I thought your response is pretty funny.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25459 posts
2767 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
MAR-TYR-DOM wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 10:45 am
As someone who suffers from chronic ankle instability (ankle sprains easily) I have been looking for something like this for a while.

For playing a sport like indoor ball hockey, would the Yonex Men's SHB 55 Indoor Court Shoes be better than ASICS Men's Gel Rocket 7 ?

Lateral support and protection around the toe areas are important factors for me (so fewer ventilation areas the better).
Muzino makes a really good shoe that can be used for indoor ball hockey. Has decent ankle support. It is a heavier shoe, but should work for you

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332301796.html

The SHB 55 is not ideal for ball hockey, the Asics Gel Rocket would be better suited.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
25459 posts
2767 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Cooliebwai wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:36 pm
I would recommend the ASICS Gel Blast 7 Indoor Court Shoe
If you like Asics, the Gel Blast is the best shoe for badminton

However, the Gel Blast 6 is the worst shoe ever made. Not sure about the Gel Blast 7, but I think the best one ever is the Gel Blast 5
spy007z wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 7:52 pm
With that said, the rocket are good enough for badminton unless you play in the competitive levels. It is not as light as YY and is wider.
Asics are slightly heavier than Yonex and they are definitely wider. But I find the soles to wear out faster than Yonex
gogozy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:36 am
from my experiences, 3 pairs of yonex shoe i own are about 30-50g lighter per feet compare to Asics. my current shoes is a pair of cheapo yonex Power Cushion 35. after i realize they do not last longer than Asics, I decided to get the cheaper one to save $$$. Yonex is definitely lighter, the support on the area the feet contact with floor is adequate, i prefer more support, and I assume it's a trade off between weight and thicker cushion at sole area. I do miss the feeling of wearing Asics. the Yonex offer a bit more support at the ankle area, maybe a bit higher in that area, I don't know how much actual differences this made on the actual playing on the court.
This is a good assessment. A good pair of Yonex shoes can last as long as Asics. You just have to pay more.

Both Yonex and Asics has technology for supporting the foot. Power Cushion vs Gel. Both claim to survive an egg drop from 6 feet. If you want more support, buy good insoles. The ones provided by Yonex and Asics are crap.

First thing I do when I buy new court shoes is remove the insoles and replace it with the Spenco Total Max Support

https://spenco.ca/products/total-support-max
Last edited by Gee on Nov 3rd, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 21, 2011
187 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:45 pm
If you like Asics, the Gel Blast is the best shoe for badminton
it does not appear to have the clear gel bottom, wouldn't these leave marks on the court for badminton?