Expired Hot Deals

[Sport Chek] K2 Cinch TS bindings 2018 $149.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 6:50 pm
Mar 16, 2008
923 posts
148 upvotes
My girlfriend bought last year's Burton Lexa bindings through Sportchek a couple months back at a STEEP discount. They're exactly the same binding as this years with only esthetic differences (different logo on high-back and baseplate). I believe she paid $150 which is great deal.

Personally, I ride Union as well. Went with the Falcors this year and couldn't be happier. As far as I'm concerned... when it comes to bindings, less is more. All that "infinite adjustability" crap just adds weight, creates a fail-point, and 99% of the time doesn't get tweaked anyways. Keep it clean and simple.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1006 posts
311 upvotes
hkhorace wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:15 am
Sorry to hijack but whats a decent boot to go with this? I am not looking to spend a fortune on it though.
Whatever boots fit you perfectly, it's the most important part of the setup by far. If you aren't comfortable you will not enjoy your day. I would try on every boot possible from cheapest to expensive until you get the right ones. The more expensive boots will have things like dual BOA, etc. All boots have slightly different lace up/tie up systems, you need to find the one that fits best. Boots do pack out slightly after a few sessions of use, probably half a size.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4735 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
random7594 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:20 am
Don't confuse rear entry and step in. They are 2 very different systems (although meant to help with a similar issue).
I'm well aware of the different systems, Flow was the original popular rear-in system....they are surprisingly still around more than a decade and a half since I started riding.

From my perspective, they are both crap. It's up to you weather you feel the terrible performance is worth the convenience. Never been a fan of either. I personally haven't seen step-in bindings since the early 2000s on rentals. But then again, I didn't know SIMS still made boards...I thought they went belly up ages ago. My first boots were SIMS and they were trash but great to learn on.

When I demoed the Union Contact Pros I was really impressed. It's really incredible how far snowboard technology has come in the last 5-10 years. Nike SB went belly up but a lot of the core brands are still alive :)
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Mar 16, 2008
923 posts
148 upvotes
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:25 am
But then again, I didn't know SIMS still made boards...I thought they went belly up ages ago. My first boots were SIMS and they were trash but great to learn on.
Sims used to be a core company, in fact it's one of the FIRST to make snowboards after being a skateboard company for many years. Unfortunately the company went corporate and become nothing but a toy for shareholders. Quality went down, and so did their reputation.
The company's founder, Tom Sims passed away 5-6 years ago, and they're trying to resurrect the brand by returning to it's roots, and bringing good quality back into the fold. May be too late for Sims, but they were once an iconic brand.

Look up Noah Salasnek. He was a legendary Sims rider that pretty much invented modern day freestyle snowboarding. The godfather of jibbing. His snowboard back in the day was frickin rad AF.
Dec 30, 2008
286 posts
43 upvotes
Bradford
^ I had the green version back in the day. I loved that board, but man that binding hole pattern was the worst.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2002
4735 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
RobbieG wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:51 am
Sims used to be a core company, in fact it's one of the FIRST to make snowboards after being a skateboard company for many years. Unfortunately the company went corporate and become nothing but a toy for shareholders. Quality went down, and so did their reputation.
The company's founder, Tom Sims passed away 5-6 years ago, and they're trying to resurrect the brand by returning to it's roots, and bringing good quality back into the fold. May be too late for Sims, but they were once an iconic brand.
Yep. I saw a bunch of the early early boards at the Utah Snowboard Museum at Salty Peaks (a staple of the Utah Snowboard scene.)

It's too bad really. Burton went corporate but their quality is still top-notch (at least their higher end models.) The pricing is through the roof but most Burton products (other than the poop from Sportchek) you know you will have no problems with. One of my favourite boards ever was the 08 Custom X. Loved it.

Just got back from Utah 2 weeks ago and my DC twin really sucked in powder (as little as they have so far out there this season.)

I'm a big fan of Endeavor boards for riding big mountain but hate their boring black/white graphics this season and I don't know how Arbor boards are now but in the past, they were powder kings.
'11 DC MLF Iikka Pro
'18 Union Flite Pro Red
'08 K2 T1
Oct 3, 2006
183 posts
12 upvotes
North York
Chris9446 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:21 am
I bought union forces and the screws kept coming loose on the straps where they attach to the bindings. This mechanism looks to be the same on every one of their bindings and is pretty annoying.
Since then, I've switched over to burton genesis and love them.
I have the last year's Union Contact Pro and have the exact same problem. It's a little annoying but as long as you check/tighten them every other day of riding, it's been fine. Previously rode Cartel which did not have this problem but the strap mechanism stopped working after several seasons.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
3375 posts
836 upvotes
Edmonton
random7594 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:17 am
You really need to try a bunch of different brands on and see which ones feel comfortable. I personally found K2 boots to work well for me, so I ordered the Darko, which are also at a great price. You have this season's model for $188.99 and last season's model for $161.99. Shouldn't be much difference, so I just went with last season's. Links below:
https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332352 ... =332352531
https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/sho ... olor%5D=99
Bought the Darko's last year... loved the boa/lace combination, but ultimately hated the boot. Just couldnt get the boa to clamp down comfortably. Sport Check has some great pricing on boots overall at this time of the year..,everybody's foot is different so I don't really pay much attention to reviews - but some brands do fit smaller/larger so good to know if you're trying to order online.

Binding wise, the K2's are ok, but I have a cheaper pair of Burton's that suites me just fine. I have another pair of K2's that have proved to be flaky in their strap design, and always comes loose at the worst time.
Mar 16, 2008
923 posts
148 upvotes
ProfessorChaos wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 9:35 am

Just got back from Utah 2 weeks ago and my DC twin really sucked in powder (as little as they have so far out there this season.)

I'm a big fan of Endeavor boards for riding big mountain but hate their boring black/white graphics this season and I don't know how Arbor boards are now but in the past, they were powder kings.
I learned that the hard way many years ago. 3-4 ft of fresh powder at Fortress in Alberta, and I was stuck with a 152cm jib stick. WORST. Was digging myself out the entire day. Always keep an extra long board in the quiver, set those bindings back, and you're good to go. I've got a CAT Trip in Nelson next month, and you know I'm bringing my tanker with me.
As far as brands go... trust in Mervin! Gnu and Libtech all day long. I've dipped my toes in other brands over the years but always return to Mervin.
Aug 7, 2005
678 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
richardvoyageur wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:12 am
Whatever boots fit you perfectly, it's the most important part of the setup by far. If you aren't comfortable you will not enjoy your day. I would try on every boot possible from cheapest to expensive until you get the right ones. The more expensive boots will have things like dual BOA, etc. All boots have slightly different lace up/tie up systems, you need to find the one that fits best. Boots do pack out slightly after a few sessions of use, probably half a size.
^^^ This without a doubt.

You can buy the flashiest board, nicest bindings but if your boots are crap you aren't going to have a good time and you won't be able to transfer your movements and energy down through the bindings to the board.

Find a good boot fitter, not one that will put you in the most roomy boot.

If your boot fitter doesn't offer a heatmold to get that snug yet comfortable fit then walk away. As this post has said, boots will pack out....don't get something too big where they pack out to the point you're losing responsiveness.
Oct 31, 2014
316 posts
249 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I've been using Flows for ~10 years, this style of binding is really a love it or hate it type situation, and how your boot fits in the binding becomes a big factor in which direction you lean. (my old boots fit them super well, since those ones died and I cant get Forum boots anymore I've been having a tough time finding boots that fit well, and work well with the bindings).

I see other posts about putting the bindings on while on the move or sitting down - depending on your ski hill/offloading area sometimes you have to be able to do that (most of the chairs at the hills I ride the offload area isn't flat/you can't stand at a stop to gear up, so you're either sitting or doing it on the fly. The trick with this style if you dont want to do it on the fly is either lay your back on the ground/feet flat on the ground, lift your butt up and do it up, or face uphill and kneel. I normally just do mine up while i'm still on the chair and ride off (advantage of the top of the foot being closed, you can kick your foot into it and strap in on the chair easily if you sit on the end so you can reach your board underneath you)...