Port Moody

Top of the line snowshoes: MSR Lightning Ascent 25" Men's

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
$144 off
Retailer:
Sportchek.ca
For those looking for a top of the line snowshoe, these are very highly rated... lightweight and good for all situations (aside maybe the deepest powder and/or with a heavy pack). I fully realize there are cheaper snowshoes out there... especially if you're just getting into the sport or not sure if you'll get 10 years of usage but if you just want to go straight for one of the best then this is a great deal. The price on the site is $239.99, but when you sign up for the e-mail you get 10% off. Compare at $360 at MEC and many other sites... cheaper than the Revo Trail version (on sale at MEC).

Use e-bates for another 1% rebate:
https://www.ebates.ca/coupons/sport-chek-canada

#1 Rated:
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/s ... -snowshoes
https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-snowshoes

Note that Atmosphere.ca has a similar deal on the women's model. They're a bit narrower than the men's version but otherwise pretty much the same AFAIK. I just about got these anyway, but found the Sport Chek deal.
https://www.atmosphere.ca/categories/ge ... 22029.html

Blurb:
"Now even more reliable thanks to new tougher decking, these ultralight snowshoes are built on a solid foundation of advanced 360° Traction™ frames and deliver a level of security that tubular frames simply can’t—especially on traverses. Dual-component PosiLock™ AT bindings offer the most secure attachment, while aggressive steel cross members and easily engaged Ergo™ Televators back you up with every step. Lightning Ascents offer the all-condition adaptability of Modular Flotation tails."
Last edited by jerschwab on Nov 14th, 2017 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Aug 23, 2009
144 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver
Just a note that these are the older model of the Lightning Ascent. The new one has a stronger decking.
Jul 25, 2015
369 posts
151 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
These are mainly designed for more hard pack/ice/glacier trekking. They do work in powder but not as efficient as other designs. Mines a few years old and have not had any issues yet with the decking. The only thing I dont like about them is the bindings. I always have to take my gloves off to shove the metal studs through the holes.
Aug 1, 2008
800 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
How are the yukon Charlie at Costco for 79.99 for new starters
[OP]
Sep 5, 2008
285 posts
89 upvotes
Port Moody
Sinasta wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:30 pm
These are mainly designed for more hard pack/ice/glacier trekking. They do work in powder but not as efficient as other designs. Mines a few years old and have not had any issues yet with the decking. The only thing I dont like about them is the bindings. I always have to take my gloves off to shove the metal studs through the holes.
I do plan on heading straight up hills rather than roam around... I'm sure other models are better for rolling terrain, deep powder, and other soft stuff. Thanks for your input, Yeah, these are the same binding hook as on my old Tubbs. A bit of a pain I suppose but I'll manage. I really like the 360 grip, light weight, and heel lifts (among other features).
Oct 7, 2008
781 posts
99 upvotes
What's a good choice for roaming around in the woods?
[OP]
Sep 5, 2008
285 posts
89 upvotes
Port Moody
artofwar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:32 pm
I've heard there were some issues with the binding system, but that brief read was enough to keep me searching.
Jan 20, 2011
866 posts
490 upvotes
Montreal-Ouest, QC
artofwar wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:32 pm
Amazing for starters. You won't need to spend a lot to do it sometimes.
Paying full price for an item is a sin. :twisted: