[Sporting Life] Arcteryx Rush $480 Sidewinder $500

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 10:12 am
[OP]
Aug 27, 2017
90 posts
143 upvotes

[Sporting Life] Arcteryx Rush $480 Sidewinder $500

Both these ski/snowboard jackets are 40% off at Sporting Life with plenty sizes and colours vailable at the time of this post.
Both are super nice high end jackets, great deal if you were looking for something of the sort.
Rush - https://www.sportinglife.ca/en-CA/men/c ... 53574.html
Sidewinder - https://www.sportinglife.ca/en-CA/men/c ... 18664.html
32 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6554 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
I've got one of the original Sidewinders. After many years still solid as a rock. They've gone way up in price since then.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3507 posts
811 upvotes
Montreal
Why are these so expensive compared to alpha or beta hybrid jackets?
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1530 posts
834 upvotes
Kitchener
What kind of temp are these realisticly rated for?

Thanks
Feb 16, 2005
851 posts
359 upvotes
Rush and Sidewinder both have Goretex Pro, one of the reason their expensive.
Feb 16, 2005
851 posts
359 upvotes
keyser-soze wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:49 pm
What kind of temp are these realisticly rated for?

Thanks
These are just shell jackets and non-insulated so you definitely need a mid and base layer for colder temp.
Nov 22, 2015
532 posts
463 upvotes
Toronto
This is somewhat off topic but I was interested in getting an Arcteryx coat for going running. What line should I be looking out for?
Aug 17, 2018
421 posts
263 upvotes
Good find op, too bad my size isn't here, and a medium is too big for me otherwise I'll take a red one.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1000 posts
1991 upvotes
After 2 years with my 2016 made in China beta AR (same gore-tex pro material) as a light everyday jacket, I don’t think I can recommend a similar jacket to anyone going into this with the expectation that this jacket will last many years. The layers on mine have separated on at least 3/4 of the jacket after 2 years of just using this for going to work (no hiking).

For the last 2 years it has been a good jacket though.
Nov 14, 2006
627 posts
164 upvotes
Calgary
Vasilyke wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:58 pm
This is somewhat off topic but I was interested in getting an Arcteryx coat for going running. What line should I be looking out for?
Norvan or Incendo
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
6554 posts
859 upvotes
Toronto
Vasilyke wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:58 pm
This is a hard goretex shell, made for rain and windproof. You might want something more breathable for running.
Apr 7, 2017
4 posts
2 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:09 pm
After 2 years with my 2016 made in China beta AR (same gore-tex pro material) as a light everyday jacket, I don’t think I can recommend a similar jacket to anyone going into this with the expectation that this jacket will last many years. The layers on mine have separated on at least 3/4 of the jacket after 2 years of just using this for going to work (no hiking).

very very high chance that they will replace the entire jacket for you because of goretex delamination. they have one of the best warranties ever. you should inquire about it.
Mar 16, 2008
966 posts
177 upvotes
kimwoobingsu wrote: After 2 years with my 2016 made in China beta AR (same gore-tex pro material) as a light everyday jacket, I don’t think I can recommend a similar jacket to anyone going into this with the expectation that this jacket will last many years. The layers on mine have separated on at least 3/4 of the jacket after 2 years of just using this for going to work (no hiking).

Curious. I had the same thing happen to my Cassiar. Did you put it in the dryer on high when washing? I’m thinking overly hot temperatures (in the dryer) contribute to the issue of separating layers.

Also, I RA’d my shell and they replaced it with no issue. It was 3 years old so imagine you could do the same.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1000 posts
1991 upvotes
mikechung3 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:19 pm
very very high chance that they will replace the entire jacket for you because of goretex delamination. they have one of the best warranties ever. you should inquire about it.
RobbieG wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 8:19 pm
Curious. I had the same thing happen to my Cassiar. Did you put it in the dryer on high when washing? I’m thinking overly hot temperatures (in the dryer) contribute to the issue of separating layers.

Also, I RA’d my shell and they replaced it with no issue. It was 3 years old so imagine you could do the same.
I checked out the terms of their warranty last year (which seemed very vague and kind of limited) because I had a weird wrinkly spot on one of the arms, but the delamination is something new, and if what you are saying is true I will definitely take it to them and get it looked at. Thanks for the info.

I wash, dry, and reapply DWR using Grangers and use the normal settings on my machines. I heard heat was supposed to be good for Gore-Tex anyways.
Mar 16, 2008
966 posts
177 upvotes

I heard heat was supposed to be good for Gore-Tex anyways.
I thought the same thing. But after reading up on it in various forums, many say extreme high heat can be bad. Personally I was under the impression that the heat would seal the DWR application.

Either way... take photos of the weird wrinkly parts of your shell (mine was exactly as you described) and there’s a very high chance you’re in for a brand new coat.

*edit* Better yet, if you’re in Toronto, take it to the Arc’teryx store on Queen St. They can RA and fill warrantees in house. The Yorkdale Mall location cannot.